Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going rate for Communion presents

Options
  • 24-03-2011 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I have 2 Communions in the extended family this year:
    • My god-daughter/niece
    • My nephew
    Just wondering what the going rate is these days for presents/cash?

I don't want to be stingy, but I don't want to annoy my siblings by giving their kids more money than the know what to do with either! :)

And if I ask their parents they'll just tell me not to worry about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

Hard to say really, depends on your own situation. If it's family (and you can afford it), maybe €50, anything more and I fell we're hitting obscene territory. If it's a god-child, also maybe help to kit them out for the day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

20 euro and a present.
    They get so much money that it is the presents they appreciate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Moonbeam wrote: »
    They get so much money that it is the presents they appreciate.
    Where did you get this from? Genuine question, not being smart.

For my communion (although a while ago now), I preferred money, for my cousins communion, he preferred money.

All kids I know prefer money to presents.

Guess it varies from child to child though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - my husband's god-daughter/neice had her 1st communion last summer & we got her a nice chain bracelet which cost around €30. She was already getting the necklace, earrings, etc from others.

Personally, i've just gotta say, the whole gift/money-giving goes way over the top. Now, I know everyone expects it, and I know the parents are just being polite by telling you "not to worry about it," but, really, it's a gift/money for a kid. How much do they really need/appreciate, and how much of it just becomes a show?

And maybe I'm just being too simplistic, but 1st communion is supposed to be a religious right-of-passage, not an opportunity to line the kid's pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

From talking to my siblings (ie the parents), for my god-daughter I'll probably end up getting a small piece of jewellery and maybe a book. For my nephew we were told something small if anything. Neither set of parents really wanted the kids getting lots of money, which I think is what was done in my day (hence original question).

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

20 quid. Done and done ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

cinema/games/toyshop voucher, not as crass as actual notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I remember the fun of counting all the money afterwards and then going to get something i really wanted but was too expensive. I got my first tape player and i had it for about 15 years afterwards.

I think 20 is enough 50 if you can easily afford it. I like the idea of jewellery more then book voucher or cinema voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

cinema/games/toyshop voucher, not as crass as actual notes.

I have never understood this whole thing about giving money as vulgar. I hate vouchers, I have never even met a person who likes vouchers. Its the exact same as giving money but you can't even spend it on what you want to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

I have 2 Communions in the extended family this year:
    • My god-daughter/niece
    • My nephew
    Just wondering what the going rate is these days for presents/cash?

I don't want to be stingy, but I don't want to annoy my siblings by giving their kids more money than the know what to do with either! :)

And if I ask their parents they'll just tell me not to worry about it.

€30 is the best I think... It's not €50 which I think is too much and yet it's not €20 which is too little for family (especially from god-parents).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

To be honest I think most children prefer money so that they can put it towards something that they really would like to buy. I fully appreciate that some people are genuinely very thoughtful and put a huge effort in to choosing something special for the child but often children end up with three and four of the samething.

For example, last xmas, my four year received two large dolls houses that were exactly the same from two different aunts. I ended up giving one to charity so it was no big deal and at least someone else benefited which was good. However, if you think back to christening gifts, most people will find that they received loads of identical personalised stuff, which is just a complete waste of money.

I also reckon part of the reason some people give presents is that they don't want others to know how much they spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

€20 for a normal nephew/niece and €50 for a god child.

I also don't understand the vulgar bit. It's money allowing the child to buy something special that they rerally want. So long as there isn't an expectation on the side of the child or parents as to the amount then what is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

My son is making his Communion this year. He attends a small country school...I'm wondering, am I expected to give gifts/money to his class mates?

I really don't know what the ''done thing'' is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Lucyfur wrote: »
    My son is making his Communion this year. He attends a small country school...I'm wondering, am I expected to give gifts/money to his class mates?

I really don't know what the ''done thing'' is.
    This is a difficult one to figure its the done thing in some schools and not in others. You dont want to be the only one who does it and alienate other parents by adding expense to an already costly day and at the same time you dont want to be the only one who doesnt do it. Is there anyone you can ask maybe a parent who has already had a child through communion. An idea is to have a few cards handy in the car along with some ten euro notes, better than been caught out.
    My kids go to a country school and it is the done thing for the boys to give to the boys and girls to give to the girls although some families give to both, to be honest its a pain, another expense and something else to have organised. I doubt very much this could happen in larger schools, parents would be broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

This is a difficult one to figure its the done thing in some schools and not in others. You dont want to be the only one who does it and alienate other parents by adding expense to an already costly day and at the same time you dont want to be the only one who doesnt do it. Is there anyone you can ask maybe a parent who has already had a child through communion. An idea is to have a few cards handy in the car along with some ten euro notes, better than been caught out.
    My kids go to a country school and it is the done thing for the boys to give to the boys and girls to give to the girls although some families give to both, to be honest its a pain, another expense and something else to have organised. I doubt very much this could happen in larger schools, parents would be broke!

I was thinking the same-have the cards in the car, is €10 enough? I think there are only 6 making it and out of those 6, only one family have an older child.

I think the fuss some schools make is ridiculous. I was chatting to a woman who has a daughter making her communion this year. She said the priest is putting so much pressure on them that the kids are now frightened of him. And, they have to attend weekly meetings. Priest for my sons school has arranged one meeting, where he thanked the parents and told us it would be a ''relaxed, no fuss day, made special for the children''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

another expense and something else to have organised. I doubt very much this could happen in larger schools, parents would be broke!

To counteract this in our local school all the parents and teacher agreed that each family would give 10 euro to a group fund, then each child gets a card signed by the rest of their classmates and then obviously each child would get 10 euro in the card, from their classmates. I think it's a great idea and takes all the pressure / competition off . It's obviously dependent on all parents agreement which I suppose is easier in a small school/ community where they all know each other.

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I was thinking the same-have the cards in the car, is €10 enough? I think there are only 6 making it and out of those 6, only one family have an older child.

I think the fuss some schools make is ridiculous. I was chatting to a woman who has a daughter making her communion this year. She said the priest is putting so much pressure on them that the kids are now frightened of him. And, they have to attend weekly meetings. Priest for my sons school has arranged one meeting, where he thanked the parents and told us it would be a ''relaxed, no fuss day, made special for the children''
    On my sons communion the 3 boys gave each other 20euro, on my daughters most of the class gave 10euro, or some of the girls got each other a small trinklet. Tbh its silly really and if I were you I would wait and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

For how many kids will this be their first, and last communion?

For how many kids will this be their first, and last communion?
    I have absoloutly no idea and I dont really care, wheather other parents decide to bring their children to mass even if they make communion and confirmation is no interest to me, we will continue to do what we as parents think is the best decision. Also I would rather not judge so what if someone decides to have their child go through the sacraments but does not attend mass I dont think that makes them a bad parent or indeed a bad person. Obviously the catholic church would understandably frown on this, but imho there is a lot worst things parents could do. Btw my child will be going to mass as always most sundays, so I am not defensive of myself on this issue I just think each to their own as long as its not causing harm to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

littlebug wrote: »
    To counteract this in our local school all the parents and teacher agreed that each family would give 10 euro to a group fund, then each child gets a card signed by the rest of their classmates and then obviously each child would get 10 euro in the card, from their classmates. I think it's a great idea and takes all the pressure / competition off . It's obviously dependent on all parents agreement which I suppose is easier in a small school/ community where they all know each other.

Thankfully this is what happens in our school too. There are seven for communion this year but that would still be 60 euro I'd have to fork out if I had to give to each child individually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fatswaldo

This had become an issue in our school. At the time our first lad made his communion, there were cards flying left, right and centre. It put pressure on parents who could not afford it. It was addressed at a parents meeting and agreed that a no cards for classmates policy would be introduced -much to the relief of all. This is now in situ for the last seven or eight years and works well. Sometimes, particular friends will exchange cards or gifts but its not the way it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

We do €20 for communion and €50 confirmation. We have 4 this year and our own 2 for both . . expensive summer :rolleyes:

Advertisement