Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Log In to Public Hotspots

Options
  • 24-03-2011 10:56am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Small problem people, my laptop won't let me log on to public wifi hotspots. I'm in college now and can "connect" to the wireless internet but the login screen that should come up when I open a browser isn't there. It's the same story in coffee shops, bars etc.

I can connect to wireless internet at my house and any other house fine, it's only when a login screen is needed that I can't connect at all.

Tried different browsers, restarting, reconnecting etc etc. Totally clueless and google can't seem to help.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

What college are you in?

Most private or big networks use "proxys" which basically route your traffic through a hub then on to the internet. Your computer should be set up to detect this and automatically configure itself. Your home network is simple and doesn't require proxy configuration.

In Firefox: Tools > Options > Advance > Network > Settings

Check the Proxy is set to Automatic. Similar story for Internet Explorer. Let me know how you get on.

Advertisement