Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Film Board Off-Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hah! Apparently Takeshi Miike is possibly working on an adaptation of the hilarious computer game Ace Attorney, which in short is a mad Japanese lawyer simulator / parody. This makes me unspeakably excited. A sample for you non-gamers, hopefully the idiot judge will be retained:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Oh, I was looking at Sony 37" Bravia yesterday in Peats, nice - picture on them are excellent.
    Yeah, that was probably one of the LED screens. They look great but suffer from inconsistent backlighting. I just went for the traditional CCFL backlit LCDs - cheaper and probably more reliable. I was going to get a Plasma (which look so much better) but I'm going to be using it for gaming as well and I'd rather not have to worry about image retention and other crap.

I'm amazed by how cheap HDTVs have become. I paid €700 second hand for my current piece of crap Philips 26" several years ago; now you can get a 42" for less than €500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Any members of the IFI out there? I see that they've changed the old free screening per month to now a draw you enter to get tickets :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well I've entered two pretty quickly and never heard back about them :(

Although it's always been on a first come first serve basis since I joined.

Yeah it has but recently they decided to change it and not let their members know.

Was in HMV today and was taken aback to discover I Saw The Devil has been released, the latest from Jee-Woon Kim (The Good ,the Bad, and the Weird and a Tale of Two Sisters).

On one hand, I'm glad I finally get to watch it.

On the other, I was really really hoping for a cinema release :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Overheal wrote: »
    Oh by the way: are you still thinking of a damn name for this thread? The Lobby? Seriously now.

I'd suggest the Editing Room, but theirs already quite a funny website called that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ye should keep it as the the "Off Topic" thread so people can get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is the best ****ing Cellphone PSA from any movie theatre ever. Actually being run at the Alamo Drafthouse theater in TX.

NSFW

:P

• Advertisement

Had something of an awesome day, met Martin Sheen who is an absolute gent and signed somethings for me.

5919808546_17b3eb4129.jpg

5919808948_2448168395.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Is he over here promoting something ?

Is he over here promoting something ?

His new film Stella Days played at the Galway Film Fleadh today and tomorrow there's a talk with him followed by a screening of Badlands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Lucky bast*rd! :D

Is that the Blu-ray?

Lucky bast*rd! :D

Is that the Blu-ray?

It is. Gonna have it all framed alongside a signed picture of Duvall from the film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Met Martin and Emilio at the premiere of The Way. Two lovelier people you couldn't meet.

No memento of it like an autograph unfortunately (just a handshake and short conversation) but still made my year.

• Advertisement

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Met Martin and Emilio at the premiere of The Way. Two lovelier people you couldn't meet.

No memento of it like an autograph unfortunately (just a handshake and short conversation) but still made my year.

I have a signed picture of Emilio Estevez from Young Guns at home. Now I can hang his Dad's autograph beside it and someday I'll get my Platoon lobby card autographed by Charlie and have em all. :)

Ah, the joys of a good opinion piece: http://www.avclub.com/articles/buyer-beware-should-you-be-able-to-ask-for-a-refun,58755/

Pretty much totally agree with it - there's no harm in a small amount of research before going to a film, and it's your own fault if you stumble into a film that's out of your depth. Admittedly it removes the very specific joy of the complete surprise (i.e. the one you've heard nothing about and blows your mind) - but TBH unless you're at film festivals, it's almost impossible to avoid some sort of knowledge of what kind of film you're dealing with in this marketing heavy world!

Also, I hate the whole 'just because the critics like it...' argument so I'm hardlined to agree with it anyway :pac:

any chance of a quick question and answer thread? For Qs that aren't worthy of a new thread?

When I was in Belfast.....Xmas 09 it said there was a IMAX being made. Wondering if there's been any development on that or any iMAX in Ireland for that matter!

I refuse to justify this abomination's existence by giving it its own thread, but Hollywood continues to frustratingly pursue an Akira remake. They have a new director - the dude who directed Unknown - which for those keep count is something like the seventy first director who has been attached. To further fill you with fear:
    a tentpole with a mid-level budget along the lines of Clash Of The Titans

Hollywood can remake all the crappy horror films they want, but when they go after Akira - a film so vitally Japanese it's downright disrespectful to Americanise it - I fill with dread and sadness.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I refuse to justify this abomination's existence by giving it its own thread, but Hollywood continues to frustratingly pursue an Akira remake. They have a new director - the dude who directed Unknown - which for those keep count is something like the seventy first director who has been attached. To further fill you with fear:

Hollywood can remake all the crappy horror films they want, but when they go after Akira - a film so vitally Japanese it's downright disrespectful to Americanise it - I fill with dread and sadness.

Yea the budget has been revised to 90 million dollars I think. there's no way in hell it's going to be good. I bet the film will be near unrecognisable as akira they'll have to tone it down and simplify it so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Probably asked loads of times but why is there no BLU RAY forum?

Probably asked loads of times but why is there no BLU RAY forum?
    We don't need one. You can discuss Blu-ray in this forum.

Plus there are a plethora of fora to discuss home entertainment setups. No need to create new forums when there's already plenty of places to discuss the topic! And anyway, what Blu Ray threads are there to warrant a forum? Comments on the content belong here, discussion of the setup in the appropriate fora, and that's about it! And it ain't like we are weighed down with Blu Ray threads.

I refuse to justify this abomination's existence by giving it its own thread, but Hollywood continues to frustratingly pursue an Akira remake.

I hear they've cast Jack Black as Akira :D

jaykhunter wrote:

I hear they've cast Jack Black as Akira :D

Keanu Reeves was genuinely once in the running for Kaneda.

Be grateful for small mercies.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Keanu Reeves was genuinely once in the running for Kaneda.

Be grateful for small mercies.

Him leaving was a primary factor in the reduced budget I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

One of the greatest mash-ups I've ever seen. :pac:

Any other members of the IFI pissed off at the new 'members screening' policy? Since they introduced the random draw, I've yet to get any tickets.

Particularly annoyed I didn't get to see Guilty of Romance yesterday. It's not an email problem because I always get the token 'out of office, received your entry' reply.

I'm tempted to send an indignant email like those bitter elderly people do.

I only became a member a while ago. How do you enter this random draw?

I only became a member a while ago. How do you enter this random draw?

They send around an email, usually around noon on Thursday for an early morning weekend screening. Used to get tickets all the time, but none this year :(

• Advertisement

So you are entered automatically and they let you know if you win?

So you are entered automatically and they let you know if you win?

Nah, there's a link to the site and you have to enter your email address there. You then get an out of office response, with the assurance winners will be contacted the following day.

It's annoying considering the screenings are an advertised perk. Surely the law of averages would have favoured me by now.

I haven't been getting any emails. Is it part of the newsletter? I just checked and I wasn't subscribed to it.

I haven't been getting any emails. Is it part of the newsletter? I just checked and I wasn't subscribed to it.

Hmm, not sure. I get around three or four emails a week for them so I'm definitely subscribed. Member screenings are once a month emails.

Yeah it sucks - thing is that they haven't updated their membership policy to include this :/

Ah, I just checked and they have. But it wasn't updated for months.

How many loyalty points do you need to get a free ticket btw?

How many loyalty points do you need to get a free ticket btw?

100 Points roughly equates to a euro. Should get a free ticket every seven to ten visits.

Make sure to put your friend's tickets on your card ;)

And once again I miss out. Been an age since I got a ticket :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Ridley

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118044771
    Warner Bros. has greenlit its live-action remake of the anime cult hit "Akira" for a late February/early March start, sources tell Variety.

In July, Warners tapped Spanish helmer Jaume Collet-Serra ("Unknown" ) to direct at a budget of $90 million, which was brought down from an initial figure of well over $100 million. Where the budget stands now isn't clear, and Warner Bros. had no comment on the project.

With a greenlight in place, studio can begin shopping for the two male leads; sources tell Variety that "Tron: Legacy" star Garrett Hedlund is considered a front-runner. Both Warners and Collett-Sera have been keen on the thesp, but had to wait for a greenlight to make their move.

Though no offer's been made, insiders say an offer could come soon.

"Akira," long in development at the studio, has hit several speedbumps over the last several months, including Albert Hughes falling out as director. Collet-Serra was brought on quickly, but working out the budget took about two months, with studio and creative execs meeting last week before the decision was sealed over the weekend.

Appian Way's Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran are producing with Mad Chance's Andrew Lazar. It's another big win for Appian Way, which just secrured "Cloverfield" director Matt Reeves to helm its "Twilight Zone" pic at Warners.

WB acquired the potential tentpole project for a seven-figure sum from Japanese manga publisher Kodansha in 2008. Set in New Manhattan, the cyberpunk sci-fi epic follows the leader of a biker gang who must save his friend, discovered with potentially destructive psychokinetic abilities, from government medical experiments.

Katsuhiro Otomo, who wrote and directed the 1988 Japanese anime pic of the same name, will exec produce "Akira."

I know I'm probably speaking to a considerable minority here, but for those of you who like to, y'know, pay for their films Criterion have started putting their films up on the US iTunes store for three dollars a view or a slightly less appealing 15 to own.

I really wish it was easier to access Criterion films over here :( Masters of Cinema are putting out really, really nice DVD packages for really, really good films, though their collection pales in comparison to Criterion.

Have a few Criterions blu-ray's - picked up a US player to get around all that. Bit of hassle but probably worth it.

Anyone at The Hour Glass Sanatorium screening at the IFI earlier today? Jesus it was some mess up by the projectionist - totally ruined the experience and I had to leave after twenty minutes. Ridiculous.

What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Would love to see Ryan Gosling in Goosebumps but can't find it anywhere!

• Advertisement

What happened?

There were large parts of the film off screen - top and bottom missing...so you couldn't see the full frame - couldn't see the subtitles and you couldn't see the characters expressions etc. Once they realised this they tried to go about fixing it - blurring out parts of the film whilst trying to do this. I was too pissed off and decided to leave as I didn't want to ruin the film by staying there and trying to watch it.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Would love to see Ryan Gosling in Goosebumps but can't find it anywhere!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5768041430199235771

What happened?

And then the animation was advertised as being subtitled yesterday but when I went in there wasn't any subtitles - unbelievable.

Guys, selling a Sony blu-ray player (US player so it'll play all your Region A stuff) over on adverts if anybody is interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Romper Stomper and The Believer tonight

Big Neo Nazi film fest!

• Advertisement
Advertisement