Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Film Board Off-Topic Thread

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Has anyone been in Vue lately? Am I the only one who finds that stupid "Vue - the future of cinema" ad incredibly annoying? It's so cheap and tacky.

Oh and I'm so sick of seeing that same War Horse trailer over and over again. The film isn't even out yet and I think it hate it already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I don't know where my nearest Vue is, southside, I think. Was tempted to go to the cinema today, but college work needs attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah the trailer for War Horse makes it look like a load of sentimental crap. I've heard positive things, but if it's that manipulative Spielberg style out in force, I know I'm not going to be fond of it.

Speaking of annoying ads, the Saoirse Ronan ad in the IFI is growing more irksome everytime I see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Speaking of annoying ads, the Saoirse Ronan ad in the IFI is growing more irksome everytime I see it.

The one for the IFI Archives? Ugh, don't get me started about that. Ronan is so affected in it. You'd swear she was talking about dying kids in Africa or something. Horrible, horrible ad.

In Vue they also have an anti-piracy warning before the film saying that there is some sort of infrared sensor in the screen to detect video cameras. Plus the other ad about "thank you for buying a cinema ticket", etc. I'm so sick of this sh*t. It's the same with Blu-rays. Just show me the f**king movie that I paid for already.

This is the worst thing about digital projection. It's so easy for the cinema to stick crappy ads and warnings in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IMC Dun Laoghaire has actually gone back to showing ads for local restaurants and other houses of leisure! Old school!

The funny thing with the IFI is it's two extremes. A few films I've seen there recently have been ad-free: cue people showing up for the first ten minutes of the film. And then there's the oft-repeated ads, with the endless cycle of Europa Cinemas / extended arts council ad (god, I hate the sound effects) etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,566 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The jolly/bouncy music whilst the cities flash across the screen? Yeah, it's annoying.

Went into town to see Mysteries of Lisbon today.

Sold out.

I was actually quite taken aback that a four and a half hour foreign language film would sell out, even in the IFI on a Bank Holiday Monday.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I refuse to justify this abomination's existence by giving it its own thread, but Hollywood continues to frustratingly pursue an Akira remake. They have a new director - the dude who directed Unknown - which for those keep count is something like the seventy first director who has been attached. To further fill you with fear:

Hollywood can remake all the crappy horror films they want, but when they go after Akira - a film so vitally Japanese it's downright disrespectful to Americanise it - I fill with dread and sadness.

johnny, your prayers may have been answered ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

http://www.google.ie/movies?hl=en&near=Dublin&dq=savoy+cinema&tid=a7c0fb4b261f9e0c&sa=X&ei=WHVeT4yyJMHChAfCnqz2BA&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQxQMoAA

What's going on with Super 8 and Buffy The Vampire Slayer being among the listings here. :confused:

Saw The Descendants there today and they weren't mentioned on the display out front. Even if they are showing it seems like an odd choice of films to be played all throughout the week. Hmmmmm just something that caught my eye looking up listings today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Didn't think this warranted a new thread but it's still wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nothing you guys probably didn't think already, but RedLetterMedia (they of 'Plinkett' fame) uploaded some evidence that those blockbuster trailers really do follow a tired formula:

Advertisement