Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray dog - need transport from Carrick-on-Suir to Cashel

• 24-03-2011 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

I have posted in the lost and found thread about this dog. I contacted Cottage Rescue this morning and they have just gotten back to me to say they will take him this weekend but that he needs to be transported from Carrick-on-Suir to Cashel.

I don't live in Carrick-on-Suir and I don't drive a car so I'm a loss as to what to do.

Is there anyone on here in the area who would be willing to help out in transporting this lovely dog from Carrick-on-Suir to Cashel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

I have posted in the lost and found thread about this dog. I contacted Cottage Rescue this morning and they have just gotten back to me to say they will take him this weekend but that he needs to be transported from Carrick-on-Suir to Cashel.

I don't live in Carrick-on-Suir and I don't drive a car so I'm a loss as to what to do.

Is there anyone on here in the area who would be willing to help out in transporting this lovely dog from Carrick-on-Suir to Cashel?

Hey ya
    I just seen your post there try Homeward bound they might be able to help
    heres their facebook link !!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/homewardbound.ie

Minxie :)
    well done for taking the dog in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Hi, sorry, I don't want to mislead anyone but I haven't taken the dog in. I only work in Carrick-on-Suir, I don't live here so that's why I haven't taken him in.

I also don't want to tie up the resources of another rescue/shelter if Cottage Rescue are preparing to take in this lad.

Transport is all that's needed and he should be sorted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Ok op sorry I took it up wrong ,
    Homeward bound might still be worth a try tho for
    transport !! :D

I have just sent an e-mail off to them and paws in relation to travel and hopefully someone will be able to help. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Don't Cottage Rescue have a facebook page? Best thing is to put it up there and hopefully some of their supporters will be able to help.

• Advertisement

Here is a picture of the dog, maybe someone will recognise him and contact his owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Oh he's a sweetie, definitely a lab and probably from Sandylands lines. Given the age he looks has he been scanned for a microchip? He looks around the age of the start of the requirement that pups had to be chipped if registered with IKC.

Not that I know of. He followed me to my workplace this morning and then he wandered on. I'm going to go into the Garda Station tomorrow morning and see if he has been reported before (considering he has been roaming for so long) and see if they can do anything for him apart from calling the dog warden and having him put in the pound. Maybe there might be a nice Garda who might know someone willing to transport him? I don't know, I feel so helpless, I wish I could just bring him home and get him fed and watered and let him lie on a warm blanket and then bring him to the rescue at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Ok just finished talking to aunt, pretty much any vet and the guards should have access to a scanner, that would establish who the dog was registered to, as I said to my eye that is a pedigree Lab and microchipping started in 2006. The rescue should have a scanner too. If I was closer I'd transport him for you, or if I'd seen the lost and found last week when I was close. Unfortunately I'm in Wexford/Galway the next few weekends.

I have just been informed by another rescue that taking the dog in would be classed as stealing should it turn out that he does actually have an owner. I've been told the only thing I can do is report it to the dog warden and the gardai.

I feel very bummed about that. It's not really a solution. If it is bad pet ownership that has this dog out on the street a dog warden having a word with them won't solve anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Did the dog stray in Carrick? have you checked to see if there are any missing posters up in the town?

I don't know for absolute certainty. There are no posters up in the obvious places around the town anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Pixie I used to travel through Carrick every day for work and there were always a lot of dogs wandering, every street there was another one heading off about his business. He seems like a good weight? so obviously someone is feeding him. It could be just a case of another person openign their door in the morning and letting him off for the day.
    (not saying any of that is right as it is my no. 1 hate!)

I am pretty sure that the vets down there "know" a black lab from wandering in there all the time. the last time I was there there were people talking about it. you could ask them (Delacy Clancy Kent on Clonmel Rd) and see what they know about him. they are very helpful there.

Pink unfortunately that seems to be the case and I have been told by another rescue that if I or another rescue were to take him it would be classed as stealing.

Everyone in the town seems to know him as I asked in one of the shops this morning.

I am pretty much helpless here. I am going to call into the garda station this evening after work (they don't open at lunch) and see if they can do anything, maybe get onto the dog warden to have a word with the owners. I will try to get to that vet at lunchtime (hopefully they're open) and have a word myself.

He just seems like a lovely dog and a lovely dog like that deserves someone who looks after him and doesn't leave him wandering every day.

Is that really the state of this country? A pet can wander around all day long and there is really nothing anyone can do?

Anyway thanks for the posts everyone, hopefully I'll have some luck today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

It's hard to know what to do alright. Around where I live I see dogs wandering all the time but I never know what to do as they could be just left to wander or they might be lost....

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

I work in Carrick-on-Suir too and I see that dog more or less on a daily basis for the last couple of months on the Main Street. The main reason I notice him is because he is the absolute image of my own dog who is a cross between a springer spaniel and red settter,the only difference being my dog has the setter's long ears. I would imagine that he does have an owner and as a previous poster said is probably left out each morning. He appears to be well fed and comes across as very placid. I'm not saying that it's ok to leave him out on his own each day but I think it might be what's happening in this case.

Hallelujah!

Good news folks. I was on my way to the vet at lunchtime and I spotted the lab on the main street sitting with one of the daffodil sellers. He has been sitting there since 8.30 this morning enjoying the attention from all the passers by. He has been nicknamed Maurice and one of the locals whose nephew is involved with the ISPCA in Clonmel has been contacted and they are going to come down and take him in.

The few people that were standing around Maurice when I spotted them said that they have also seen him around in different places.

Thankfully he will be off the street today at some point. Well done to all involved.

Advertisement