Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Billboard Magazine

• 24-03-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

I got some super news the other day, Billboard magazine in the Brazil edition are putting one of my photos on the Front cover!

Its a testimony to social media and how worthwhile it is, as they found it on flickr via twitter.

5006150689_1ee2eac306_z.jpg

For me its the final answer to the quandary on how much to share is too much. However I do think I need to start watermarking, maybe not across the image centre, but at least a reasonably sized slightly transparent watermark in the corner?

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

gizzymo wrote: »
    I got some super news the other day, Billboard magazine in the Brazil edition are putting one of my photos on the Front cover!

Its a testimony to social media and how worthwhile it is, as they found it on flickr via twitter.

For me its the final answer to the quandary on how much to share is too much. However I do think I need to start watermarking, maybe not across the image centre, but at least a reasonably sized slightly transparent watermark in the corner?

any thoughts?

It's a great image & congrats on getting the deserved recognition.
    With regard to the watermark, you nearly have to put it across the most "valuable" part of the image, as someone intent on stealing it, can easily remove it if it's over some insignificant corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭gizzymo

Thanks!

I know what your saying, but another angle is that, given the modern nature of viral imagery, if it has a big watermark on it in a valuable location its less likely to be shared en masse through social media.

I know that sounds strange, but by my putting lots of U2 work on my flickr without watermarks, its gotten huge sharing on various U2 fan sites, with people using them as desktop backgrounds etc and 90% of the time linking to me from their posts. That in turn has lead to three separate jobs now, as through the sharing, some of the right people got to see it. Billboard even first found the image via twitter then flickr, after seeing me mentioned on an interview on another fansite where the person being interviewed listed me and Anton Corbjin as their favorite photographers. ( Which i openly say is crazy that they mentioned me in same sentence as him, as he is a legend )

http://www.u2start.com/topic/7481/334988/

Its that that leaves me I guess still unsure on what to do. Its true that I'm more open to be abused. In fact two separate U2 concert bootleg albums going around italy use my imagery, but how much is that really costing me as they would never pay me anyway. I guess I still feel that the additional exposure I am getting is worth it as it has translated into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭relichd

Excellent image!!!! Yes, watermarking is a need these days. Unfortunately, for the watermark to be somewhat effective you'd need to go and put it across the most important part fo the image. Or share the image in such a size/resolution, which won't allow it to be used in high quality print outs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I have nothing to add about the watermarking issue, but wow, congrats! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What lens did you shoot with?

70-200 2.8 IS L @ F2.8 on Canon 5dmk2

70-200 2.8 IS L @ F2.8 on Canon 5dmk2

Gotta try to get myself one of those lenses next.

I'm getting a 30mm f1.4 in the next few weeks. I have a 17-50 f2.8. If I find that I'm not going to use it much anymore then I could sell it to help finance the Big Boy (2nd hand)....

Its a super lens alright, serious weight, so if you have a bad back, get your self an excellent camera strap, no kidding, it can make a huge difference..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

Congratulations its an excellent photo,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Its a super lens alright, serious weight, so if you have a bad back, get your self an excellent camera strap, no kidding, it can make a huge difference..

You should try carrying the Canon 300mm f/2.8 around all day. ;)
    I agree about the strap.
    A Black Rapid, or similar is the only way to go.
    I used the double strap when I was at the Zoo, with the 70-200 f/2.8 on one side & the 300mm f/2.8 on the other. Effortless!

Just wondering-
    at the gig did you go through a load of memory cards (presuming that you shot on burst mode & in RAW)?

I presume you didn't shot in manual mode as you could miss the money shot?
    Just curious about the gig- were you in a pit surrounded by photographers etc.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Hey!

I had 13 mins to shoot, took 617 pics in RAW. Went through a few 8gb cards. I need to check, but I think I did shoot manual. There are so many lights flying around, metering can be a gamble. As for the pit, there were 6 of us as I recall, only the first 3 songs. Thats the usual though.

Cheers

Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Communicator10

Congratulations! Yours is fantastic success story and a testament to the power of social media. Well done!

I definitely recommend watermarking your photos, and would even go as far as to say the watermark should be across the centre of the photo. It's important to protect your intellectual property.

On a separate note, I'm always looking for Irish success stories in social media to present during the trainings I give. I'd love to include yours. Would you mind e-mailing me so we can chat about it:
    <snip> (Send via PM)

If you'd like to check out my credentials, my website is:
    www.FlasheForward.ie

Many thanks, Fiona.

Photo%20Apr%2006%2C%2012%2050%2026%20a.m..jpg

They finally sent me a pic of the cover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Brilliant image, hearty congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

well done !

Thanks all!

HI,
    Do you get a credit in the magazine?
    Just curiuos if you'll get up getting a lot of traffic to your site/people contacting you after this publicity. Or if anyone in Brazil even bothers to check who took it.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

Advertisement