Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Job, Have Big Cheque, Will Travel!

Options
  • 24-03-2011 11:43am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hello All,

Last week after giving 11 of my best years, I was made redundant. I feel used, abused and violated after been cast out as my services are no longer required.

It is not all bad news however, I have a nice redundancy cheque of over 100,000 euro and this may be the kick I need as I was being institutionalised over the years of doing the same job day in, day out.

I have no ties here. No mortgage, no wife or kids, no debts. The only thing holding me back is my part time degree which I will finish this May. Great timing really! However, I don't want to stay in Ireland. I am not thinking of the old reliables like Australia or Canada, or the UK. IN fact, I want to live for a year or two in a very low cost economy where I can survive on 15 or 20 euro a day. Somewhere in SE Asia, South America or other country with a really low cost of living. I need a break, a long one.

I want to live near a sandy beach, do some scuba diving, swimming, snorkeling and running every day. I don't intend on working. I have a nice wad to keep me going. Having said that, I don't intend on blowing the 100k on booze, drugs and hookers either. I am quite a sensible lad and I won't be spending a penny on these vices!

So, I am looking for some advice from people who have managed to hang out in one of these places for 6 months or a year and which country would be the best choice.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moving this to Living Abroad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's up to you really. You could live anywhere in the world for 2 years on €100k.

I suppose you'd have to pick Central America or Asia really if you want to live cheap and go scuba diving. Thailand or Malaysia or somewhere. I stayed on Tioman Island in Malaysia for a while. Would have all you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I lived in the Carribbean for a year and it would tick a lot of the boxes for you. Perfect beaches, scuba diving, swimming, year round sunshine. Personally, I had issues with parts of the lifestyle over there but it could well suit you if you are happy to be somewhere quiet.

Asia is the obvious place. Thailand or one of the islands of the Phillipines. If you aren't a big drinker or partier then you can live well for f*ck all money here in Phillipines and I guess Thailand is the same if not cheaper.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 140 ✭✭nizo888

Yes, I have travelled through the Philippines and Thailand before and parts of those countries would interest me. Palawan still appears largely untouched by mass tourism. The humidity can be overbearing at times.. Having said that we can't have it every way!

No matter where I go there will be some cultural and lifestyle issues to deal with, but that is the price to pay for the cheaper cost of living.

Tioman Island.. thanks for that i will definitely research that a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Southern Italy, You could probably live on 100K for the next 4 years there without ever having to do a tap of work...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Murilloinf

Ok,

honestly, search a right investment, make your 100k give you 1% per month back, 1000 euros could get you by pretty much anywhere in the world in a modest lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This site has some numbers for cost of living around various countries, maybe a pinch of salt but anyway.
    http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 140 ✭✭nizo888

With the joke that this country has become, I may as well plan my permanent exit from here. I am not staying around to pay the 100 billion to the wanker bankers.

Thanks Murilloinf, I will think about getting some return on an investment. One thing for sure, I won't be lodging it into an Irish bank for it to taken from me when the **** finally hits the fan.

Sicily looks nice alright, bit worried about the nearby tension in Libya though. I will look into it!

Thanks

nizo888, Calabria would be good too. You could live on your money comfortably in somewhere like Perugia, or Bologna....

Murilloinf wrote: »
    Ok,

honestly, search a right investment, make your 100k give you 1% per month back, 1000 euros could get you by pretty much anywhere in the world in a modest lifestyle.

Any idea of an investment as opposed to a gamble that would yield 1% a month :confused: Doesn't exist really.

• Advertisement

You could invest in a band, and go on tour with them as their manager....

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Murilloinf

RoverJames wrote: »
    Any idea of an investment as opposed to a gamble that would yield 1% a month :confused: Doesn't exist really.

maybe not in the irish market, you got to look abroad.. i got few in mexico, brazil..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

If it was me I would get a flight to Mexico and just chill out in some of the quieter coastal areas and then gradually work my way through Central America (Belize, El Salv, Costa Rica) enjoying the diving, surfing and cheap living. Should be able to manage a hammock for about $5 a night and food is cheap.

You lucky Bastard!!!

Advertisement