Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange calls to my mobile

• 24-03-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Hi,

for the past few days I have been getting calls to my mobile, the first few times I answered, no one there, and they hung up after a few seconds.

The number shows as + 25380*****

253 I think is somewhere in Africa,

Now I just do not answer, and it shows as a missed call.

They are calling twice an hour, up to 10pm

is this a scam

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

sounds like it might be.....why not email your phone company/perhaps they can block the calls:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Dialling code +253 is for a country/area called Djibouti

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

YOU MAY HAVE WON THE LOTTERY THERE
    OR
    THE KING OF WHERE EVER MIGHT WANT YOU TO HELP HIM ( FOR A SMALL RETAINER ) TO GET AN ENTRY VISA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

neiphin wrote: »
    YOU MAY HAVE WON THE LOTTERY THERE
    OR
    THE KING OF WHERE EVER MIGHT WANT YOU TO HELP HIM ( FOR A SMALL RETAINER ) TO GET AN ENTRY VISA

Yippee. Financial independance at last..........wonder if the King wants to visit the same time as Obama, or Queen of England, I have a spare room

anyway off to tell the boss where to stick his job;)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thehairyelbow

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Dialling code +253 is for a country/area called Djibouti

Is that somewhere near Milltown??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I wonder if he's related to that nice Indian man who calls from Microsoft offering to sort out my computer problems

martinn123 wrote: »
    Yippee. Financial independance at last..........wonder if the King wants to visit the same time as Obama, or Queen of England, I have a spare room

anyway off to tell the boss where to stick his job;)

I don't think a spare room is an adequate arrangement for His Highness.
    What would the neighbours think??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Is that somewhere near Milltown??

Obviously you weren't paying attention in geography class - it's near Strokestown.

slowburner wrote: »
    Obviously you weren't paying attention in geography class - it's near Strokestown.

Jaysus, yer right! Just before the turn off for the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

Jaysus, yer right! Just before the turn off for the airport.

STROKESTOWN SH.17
    I THINK IS THE CORRECT ADDRESS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

025 380XXX

Its a Cork number.

Micheál Martin want you to be in his front bench!

Can this be moved to afterhours - some of the smartasses there might give us a chuckle.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

sandin wrote: »
    025 380XXX

Its a Cork number.

Micheál Martin want you to be in his front bench!

Can this be moved to afterhours - some of the smartasses there might give us a chuckle.

Ah no - it's much more fun to be subversive and in the wrong thread. It's a bit like giggling in the classroom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I got these before (from Ghana I think). I used to get a text urgently asking me to call the number followed by a call a minute later that would be hung up as soon as connected giving me a missed call.
    AFAIK the scam is that you call back the number which turns out to be premium rate blah blah.

Heard of cases of people who are travelling having their phones stolen and the parents receive a text saying 'I am in trouble, please call me on this number, or alternatively 'Mam/Dad, I am in trouble lodge this much money to Western Union'.

The depths some people goto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

24wg74h.jpg

So that's where Cowan ended up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how do they manage to get hold of people's mobile ph numbers?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Probably just random number generators. Nothing more scientific.

Advertisement