Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf Gti oil change

Options
  • 24-03-2011 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

I want to service my 2002 1.8 Golf Gti myself. I have serviced bmw's before (plugs, air filter, oil filter, oil) but the oil filter on the golf is completely different. Any tips or tricks to know about this before I dive in would be helpful.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Does the golf not have a very simple screw on/screw off metal filter? If so, its far simpler than any of the paper type replacement filters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

mickdw wrote: »
    Does the golf not have a very simple screw on/screw off metal filter? If so, its far simpler than any of the paper type replacement filters.
    No think it's a paper filter inside a metal case

Use oil of the correct spec that's fully synthetic, the 1.8Ts can be a bastad for sludge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

RoverJames wrote: »
    Use oil of the correct spec that's fully synthetic, the 1.8Ts can be a bastad for sludge.
    Yeah I fully intend to. Oil is cheap so best getting the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

mickdw wrote: »
    No think it's a paper filter inside a metal case

Filter is a standard metal item and it's located below the intake manigold on the front of the engine. Genuine filters are cheap so I would go genuine on that. What oil has been used in the car so far? If it's semi synthetic stick to that, 5w40 is what I used for years. If it was on fully synthetic replace it with the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement