Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Credit Card

Options
  • 24-03-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I rang to cancel my BOI credit card the other day and it was like i was commiting a crime. I first off rang card services and told them of my plight and i got the third degree.

"why did you first want a credit card?"
    "why do you not want it anymore?"
    "are you using another credit service?"
    "We really dont recommend you close you account?"

after about 5 mins of this stuff they got the message and passed me onto their "closiung accounts" office which done the same thing with a bit of a heavier hand, i eneded up just telling them to stop the card and stop asking questions (which i should have done from the off).

If that was my mother i think she would have been intimidated and agreed to lower her limit and keep the card as the told me to do at least 5 times over the conversation.

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

With any of the big companies who say they record your call, I just give my message and then leave it with them.....the record of your instruction is there if they fail to follow up.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I will tell you exactly why;

60% of people who request a cancellation from BOI request the account to be reopened in within 18 months.

And in the current climate, BOI will say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TankGuy

3DataModem wrote: »
    I will tell you exactly why;

60% of people who request a cancellation from BOI request the account to be reopened in within 18 months.

And in the current climate, BOI will say no.

Do you think they were honestly trying to do me a favour? and not trying to keep my business so they could earn interest off me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

TankGuy wrote: »
    Do you think they were honestly trying to do me a favour? and not trying to keep my business so they could earn interest off me?

Of course they are trying to make money off you, not do you a favour.

But they know the chances are that you will regret closing it and be back again to them... MUCH easier for them (and you) if you don't close it.

Makes sense, right?

I do get what your saying and i understand they would try to keep a customer but it was the fashion in which they done it. It was quite intimidating.
    And for me i will definitely not be returning to having a credit card anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I just rang and cancelled my BOI credit card and I can't say I had the same experience. They had it cancelled pretty quickly. In fact, little or no attempt was made to keep my business.

In my case, I have been with MBNA for the last 8 years. BOI rang me a couple of weeks ago on an unrelated matter and at the end of the call asked if I would be interested in a credit card. I said yes, purely because it appealed to me to have all my banking in one institution. My intention was to then cancel the MBNA card. Good job I didn't. The credit limit BOI gave me was so paltry I could hardly have paid for flights or a hotel with it. My fault from the point of view that I should have asked them what the credit limit would be before I completed all the applications.

Anyhoo, I rang them asked them about a credit limit increase to which they replied that I would have to wait 6 months. Despite the fact that I have done all my non credit card banking with them for 11 years, and have an unblemished credit history , they would not entertain any discussion on the matter. Not really a massive deal as I hadn't yet cancelled my MBNA card, but it certainly added to my ever increasing ambivalence of BOIs customer support.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

I too just cancelled my credit card with AIB and I was told there was a €30 government fee to cancel:eek:. I thought that i had paid the stamp duty of €40 in April last year. Has anybody else have to pay this government fee??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

clancyoo7 wrote: »
    I too just cancelled my credit card with AIB and I was told there was a €30 government fee to cancel:eek:. I thought that i had paid the stamp duty of €40 in April last year. Has anybody else have to pay this government fee??

Yep, I think it's paid in arrears. So if you used your card since April the government duty applies.

Yeah i had to pay the levy too, supposedly its paid at the end of the year for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I just rang and cancelled my BOI credit card and I can't say I had the same experience. They had it cancelled pretty quickly. In fact, little or no attempt was made to keep my business.

In my case, I have been with MBNA for the last 8 years. BOI rang me a couple of weeks ago on an unrelated matter and at the end of the call

asked if I would be interested in a credit card. I said yes, purely because it appealed to me to have all my banking in one institution. My intention was to then cancel the MBNA card. Good job I didn't. The credit limit BOI gave me was so paltry I could hardly have paid for flights or a hotel with it. My fault from the point of view that I should have asked them what the credit limit would be before I completed all the applications.

Anyhoo, I rang them asked them about a credit limit increase to which they replied that I would have to wait 6 months. Despite the fact that I have done all my non credit card banking with them for 11 years, and have an unblemished credit history , they would not entertain any discussion on the matter. Not really a massive deal as I hadn't yet cancelled my MBNA card, but it certainly added to my ever increasing ambivalence of BOIs customer support.

I think this may have cost you €30 in a government fee. You may not have to opay if you dont use the card, but I had to pay last year on a card that I didn't use but and paying an outstanding balance to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭pat1981

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think this may have cost you €30 in a government fee. You may not have to opay if you dont use the card, but I had to pay last year on a card that I didn't use but and paying an outstanding balance to.

Hi,do you have a link for this.
    I just cancelled my aib visa, never used it for the previous 2-3 years with 0 balance and they are applying the €30 fee to my next statement. They confirmed my account is closed.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

pat1981 wrote: »
    Hi,do you have a link for this.
    I just cancelled my aib visa, never used it for the previous 2-3 years with 0 balance and they are applying the €30 fee to my next statement. They confirmed my account is closed.
    Thanks.

That sounds right. According to the Citizens Information website, there's no charge is you open and close the credit card account in the same year (i.e. April to April) and if you don't use it. As yours is more than a year old, AIB would seem to be correct in collecting the €30 stamp duty.

Advertisement