Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low light shooting advice?

• 24-03-2011 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

I was doing a shoot last night, of boxing training. To say the least, the lights were crap.

I was trying to shoot without too much grain. I know I should probably boosted the ISO a bit more (was shooting ISO 2500).

I wanted to try and keep the shutter speed up, to stop motion blur - I shot anything from 1/60 to 1/200 (depending on available light).

Maybe next time I'll try with higher ISO again (3200) and may even try using flash.

Any thoughts/advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Get a Nikon D3s...:rolleyes:

Umm... Ok... I'm outa here..... Bye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

woody_2000 wrote: »
    Get a Nikon D3s...:rolleyes:

I've a Canon 1D MkIV, so a Nikon D3s wouldn't be any step up. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Would they have any objections to you putting up a couple of flashes a little distance back from the ring. Maybe using gaffer tape, attach them to the side walls opposite each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

What lens are you using, and what is its max aperture?

Might be allowed, if I had a couple of flashes to put up. :)

The problem is that the training happens over 3 rings and in a large enough area for a bit of running/jogging.

On-camera flash might be the only thing I can really try. :(

• Advertisement

Here's a Flickr discussion on boxing photography:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/sportsphoto/discuss/72157594196950751/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

They might object to oncamera, that is, could blind them a little while sparing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Paulw wrote: »
    I've a Canon 1D MkIV, so a Nikon D3s wouldn't be any step up. :p

Would be if your current camera gives noise above 2500. I've seen smooth as butter shots from d3s at 6400 iso. I've shot at 3200 on my humble D90 as it is. I'm sure a boxing gym is at least better lit than a dark gig.

I might try using my 50mm f/1.4 next time (rather than the 24-70mm).

Not much noise at all at ISO 3200, but since this was my first time in this particular venue, I wanted to keep the ISO down.

It was a learning experience.

All my shots were f/2.8, but next time I'll try the 50mm, and shoot more open, and also boost the ISO a lot more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

If this is for white collar boxing then on the night of the show the lights aren't too bad and you'll manage to get 1/500 at ISO1600 and a 50mm f1.8.

• Advertisement

I'm only doing the training and PR shots for this. I won't be shooting the actual main event (white collar boxing), since I'll be out of the coutry.

It's just that the gym they train in is crap for lighting.

Another possibility: forget flash (if it's disturbing the boxers) and set up your own cheap lighting rig. Big industrial lights can be bought quite cheaply in hardware stores, and then it's just a matter of getting the white balance right.

Here's a YouTube tutorial to get you thinking:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

It's never easy if the action is going across the frame.
    If they were coming towards you, you'd get away with the slower speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I think the 50mm will help, as you'll get up to 2 stops more light.

Can you/do you shoot RAW? Or does that kill your frame rate? Worth considering as better noise mgt (Raw therapee is free & seems pretty good to me) compared to jpeg.

In experiments I've done I have found that 750 W of tungsten light (builders worklights) will have a GN of about 9m/ISO 100 at 1/100s. Obviously the GN will vary depending on your shutter speed, but hope this helps as an estimate at least.
    I haven't tried high-efficiency bulbs, I wonder if they will flicker at higher shutter speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I might try using my 50mm f/1.4 next time ...
    All my shots were f/2.8, but next time I'll try the 50mm, and shoot more open

This is a good idea, considering that there's a full two stops difference here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nothing wrong with the iso going high, I can give you a loan of the 85L if you want?

It'll probably be another 2-3 weeks before I'm back there again.

I'll throw the ISO up much higher, I'll use the 50mm f/1.4 and shoot more open, and I'll try using flash where I can.

I guess there's no magic for crap light.

I guess there's no magic for crap light.

Nightvision! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

ISO is good. Even a lot of noise is better than a little smear.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Would you mind throwing up a few examples with relevant iso info,i,d be interested in seeing the results

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

It's definitely worth cranking the ISO right up. The sensitivity of a camera like that and the pure awesomeness of the noise reduction in CS5's Camera RAW should work wonders.

What's all this noise reduction talk about!?
    A sport like boxing can benefit from a bit of noise in the shots, particularly if they're B&W.
    It adds to the roughness of the image.
    That's just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

not sure how this will work for you, but in low light I'll generally shoot about a stop and half below what my camera reads for exposure, or use spot metering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If the mk IV is comparable to the D3s then 6400 should be equivelent to 1600 or 800 on slightly older cameras, some underexposure to get faster shutter speeds and not worry about the background and your sorted. 6400 on my D4 is perfectly useable so a mk iv should be fine. even overexpose at 6400 by +.07 to reduce noise.

Only other thing I can suggest is Delta 3200 pushed to 6400 or 12,800.

just to point out, shooting ISO also seriously effects dynamic range, vibrancy and tonality....negatively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

eas wrote: »
    just to point out, shooting ISO also seriously effects dynamic range, vibrancy and tonality....negatively.

Not all that much with my D3 that I've noticed the past 3+ years....

you must have a better D3 than me ;)

5556050153_1071709c96.jpg
    PW2_5953.jpg by PaulWa, on Flickr

5556634462_defb5395bb.jpg
    PW2_5936.jpg by PaulWa, on Flickr

Both shot with 1D MkIV, 24-70mm f/2.8, at f/2.8, ISO 2500, 1/200 sec. Even that, it wasn't fast enough to properly freeze the action.

Next time, I'll try using the flash, go higher on the ISO and try the 50mm f/1.4 lens.

Advertisement