Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cupcake Query

Options
  • 24-03-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

So tomorrow I am making cupcake's for a friend's Birthday, I was looking to see if anyone could help me out and give me some advice as to how to make this type of topping.

At first, I thought it was a marshmallow-esque frosting but it's so smooth, I can't get my head around how anyone can get frosting this smooth.

froufroucoco01.jpg

If anyone could give me a hand with cracking this one, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

To be honest that looks like the topping was made separately and attached. I could be wrong but if you made white choc snowballs (hemispheres) like this recipe and shape them to be the right size, you could glue them on with some icing and that would give the desired effect.

Alternatively you could try to make the above mallow, and then plop them onto the cakes when soft, but I reckon that would be harder to make that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Eviledna wrote: »
    To be honest that looks like the topping was made separately and attached. I could be wrong but if you made white choc snowballs (hemispheres) like this recipe and shape them to be the right size, you could glue them on with some icing and that would give the desired effect.

Alternatively you could try to make the above mallow, and then plop them onto the cakes when soft, but I reckon that would be harder to make that effect.

Yeah I thought they would be made separately like a home made marshmallow or something along those lines.

The dunking in the coconut would worry me though, maybe just scattering it over them when setting might work.

Thank you kindly for the help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

+1!

Quick question to anyone who's ever made homemade marshmallow snowballs..

This recipe doesn't call for egg whites, how does it stiffen up and set without egg whites?

Just feels like something major is missing in that recipe..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

That recipe is using Gelatin to "stiffen" it up. Are you thinking of marshmallow frosting, that has egg whites?
    Your standard marshmallow (that you roast over a fire :)) can have gelatin in it instead. Gives the wobble/bounce.
    Here's another recipe to verify I'm not a loon :P

Ooh here's a great idea for marshmallow eggs using a home-made cornstarch mould...
    Linky
    You could do this for your cupcake topper, making hemisphere moulds instead, perhaps using the base of a little bowl? The coconut can be sprinkled after the fact if you spritz the marshmallow with a little water spray to make it sticky again.
    Do post up a pic if you get them to work, tis a great idea!

• Advertisement

That recipe is using Gelatin to "stiffen" it up. Are you thinking of marshmallow frosting, that has egg whites?
    Your standard marshmallow (that you roast over a fire :)) can have gelatin in it instead. Gives the wobble/bounce.
    Here's another recipe to verify I'm not a loon :P

Ooh here's a great idea for marshmallow eggs using a home-made cornstarch mould...
    Linky
    You could do this for your cupcake topper, making hemisphere moulds instead, perhaps using the base of a little bowl? The coconut can be sprinkled after the fact if you spritz the marshmallow with a little water spray to make it sticky again.
    Do post up a pic if you get them to work, tis a great idea!

The moulding out of cornstarch is genius!

Mum just called me from home while I'm at work, she said she'd try incorporating gelatine into a marshmallow frosting we successfully made several months ago... She thought added gelatine to the mixture would firm it right up..

First word's were..
    "LAUREN, IT'S GONE TITS UP! It's an absolute BLOODY MESS"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

I think desiccated coconut would work as a mould for the piped marshmallow rounds instead of cornflour - use something circular to make the impressions.
    The beauty of this would be this - as the exposed side of the marshmallow shapes would still be sticky you could just plant the cupcakes on top, lift and voila!

Advertisement