Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science Conversion Course Personal Statement

Options
  • 24-03-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently applying to a number of institutions to do a conversion course in Computer Science. I am doing a personal statement at the minute and was wondering if someone might know what/what not to include. I am pretty handy with computers but have no formal qualifications in them except an ECDL. I have an arts degree in English & Geography.

I have talked about my personal interest in computers and my experience with them (gaming; my interest in recording and editing music on computers, repair work such as virus damage repair, system reinstalls etc. and system upgrades.)

I then talk about computers during my education such as getting ECDL, working with Geographical Information Systems in Uni, experience with SPSS, preparing powerpoints, essays etc.

I then talk about my experience in work (Local authority for last 3 years); using databases regularly, using GIS again including CGM mapping systems, using a financial management system and more microsoft office etc.

I conclude then with a bit about my personal traits and how I can link them to the course, the qualities I can bring etc and a little about where I want to go in my career, exciting developments in IT etc.

Does this sound ok? I think I've covered everything but just not sure if it's overkill or if I've completely missed the mark. If anyone wants to see my statement PM me I would be happy to send it on.

Many thanks everyone (sorry if it's a long post). Any help would be most appreciated.

Advertisement