Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I mad to even think about buying this?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I viewed a house in Galway that was priced at €265,000.
    The EA says there is an offer of 220 on it, but sure could you believe that.
    It’s a 4 bed semi close to town that was built before the boom by a reputable builder.
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/21-tara-grove-wellpark-galway-wellpark-galway-city/1257720
    With the way the market is today what is the max that anybody should be prepared to buy this for?

Is it the case that anybody that can hold off buying for 2/3 years should do so, no matter what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Looks quite old fashioned - you'd have to redo that kitchen, looks like something out of the 80's. Quarter of a million, very hefty to be shackling yourself to that for the rest of your life. If you're not going to sell it on, and it'll be your home for over a decade then yea go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

It will sell for 160 tops in a few years.

If you plan to live there forever and you are financially secure then you have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

It will sell for 160 tops in a few years.

Marty McFly is that you?

mathie wrote: »
    Marty McFly is that you?

It doesn't take a DeLorean to know the Irish economy is ****ed and will be for a long time.

House prices are only going in one direction. No point deluding yourself otherwise.

Let's pretend this house in Tara Grove will get the rent they want, EUR 850.

Let's pretend they can rent it out for 12 months of the year = 850 x 12 = 10200

Let's pretend they are on an interest free mortgage.

Let's pretend they will have their tenant forever.

Let's pretend they will never have any extra costs such as tax, repairs, insurance, etc.

Let's pretend rents will stay the same.

At 160,000 that is a yield of 6.375% per year.

If you then go back to reality and include things like tax, repairs, insurance, lack of tenants, falling rents, hassle, etc. you are talking about a lot lower than 6.375%.

Your money would probably be better off in a deposit account.

So when you take all of this into account 160k is probably a little bit on the high side.

Of course, I understand it is hard to accurately value a property, but with growing emigration, growing unemployment, growing taxes, etc. and no end in sight, I think it's fair to say no matter how you look at it, house prices are bolloxed for years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

It’s a 4 bed semi close to town that was built before the boom by a reputable builder.
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/21-tara-grove-wellpark-galway-wellpark-galway-city/1257720
    With the way the market is today what is the max that anybody should be prepared to buy this for?

Is it the case that anybody that can hold off buying for 2/3 years should do so, no matter what?

There's always an offer at about 15% under asking. EA's use it as a tactic to set a floor on offers.

Another trick is to be really candid and tell you that they know it's a bit over priced but the vendor will accept an offer of X (X being approx 85% of asking).

EA's don't understand macro economics and where the market is going so they'll point blankly refuse any low ball offers.

So, to be honest I wouldn't bother making an offer at the moment. You're just not going to get any value whatsoever this year. In 2/3 years, we'll hopefully have the banks sorted one way or another by the EU/ECB, interest rates will be a few percent higher, and property taxes will have kicked in.

So yes hold off for those 2/3 years.

It doesn't take a DeLorean to know the Irish economy is ****ed and will be for a long time.

It actually does.
    Define "a long time".
    Do you think we're going to be in recession/depression for 2/5/10/20/50 years?
    House prices are only going in one direction. No point deluding yourself otherwise.

Yeah I'd agree they're only going one direction.
    They question is when will that direction change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Let's pretend this house in Tara Grove will get the rent they want, EUR 850.

Let's pretend they can rent it out for 12 months of the year = 850 x 12 = 10200

Let's pretend they are on an interest free mortgage.

Let's pretend they will have their tenant forever.

Let's pretend they will never have any extra costs such as tax, repairs, insurance, etc.

Let's pretend rents will stay the same.

At 160,000 that is a yield of 6.375% per year.

If you then go back to reality and include things like tax, repairs, insurance, lack of tenants, falling rents, hassle, etc. you are talking about a lot lower than 6.375%.

Your money would probably be better off in a deposit account.

So when you take all of this into account 160k is probably a little bit on the high side.

Of course, I understand it is hard to accurately value a property, but with growing emigration, growing unemployment, growing taxes, etc. and no end in sight, I think it's fair to say no matter how you look at it, house prices are bolloxed for years to come.

This post confuses me, he's not looking for an investment return he's looking for a home. You can't live in a deposit account.

The price will be what someone is willing to pay today, what's in the posts above wont be far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

mathie wrote: »
    It actually does.
    Define "a long time".
    Do you think we're going to be in recession/depression for 2/5/10/20/50 years?

Yeah I'd agree they're only going one direction.
    They question is when will that direction change?

Won't change for quite a long time mathie - once prices bottom out in 3 to 5 years we could have another 10 years of stagnation before prices finally move in line with inflation.

Mr Loverman is spot on with his valuation - that house's final value will be €100-150k tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

nm wrote: »
    This post confuses me, he's not looking for an investment return he's looking for a home. You can't live in a deposit account.

The price will be what someone is willing to pay today, what's in the posts above wont be far off.

His post demonstrates what the price is likely to bottom out at, at the end of the crash.

Therefore paying €220k for an asset that will most likely be bought in 3 years time for €150k would be lunacy.

• Advertisement

Won't change for quite a long time mathie - once prices bottom out in 3 to 5 years we could have another 10 years of stagnation before prices finally move in line with inflation.

I'd be thinking fairly similar myself.
    Mr Loverman is spot on with his valuation - that house's final value will be €100-150k tops.
    His post demonstrates what the price is likely to bottom out at, at the end of the crash.

Therefore paying €220k for an asset that will most likely be bought in 3 years time for €150k would be lunacy.

Just because the rental yield dictates that this house should be 100-150K tops doesn't mean it will be.
    Would a vendor who has a higher than 150K mortgage on the place be prepared or even able to take a bid less than that?

Unfortunately we're seeing a lot of sellers sticking to their guns to get what they're 'worth'.
    It'll take the the 'D's (Debt, Death, Divorce) to get a property to actually sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

Thanks for all the responses. Seen as I have no pressing need to buy except to stop renting I guess it’s a waiting game so.

Thanks for all the responses. Seen as I have no pressing need to buy except to stop renting I guess it’s a waiting game so.

I can't see any upside to buying now save for it's a unique property that rarely comes to market.

When we bottom out prices won't shoot up.

We've ECB rate rises to come to so that'll put more pressure on peoples ability to hold onto a mortgage or to get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

Do ye think that people who are saving up will buy when they can afford and so keep the market from going down too far or are these people few and far between today with the way the economy is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Hi Johnjohn
    Yes you are mad to think about buying it.

I would advise you to listen to the news. And come back to 2011 with us lad. We are not in 2007!!! This house realistic should be no more then 90,000euro!!!

Someone mentioned 160K, it should be on daft.ie for that price.

265k is a major major dream estimate. Sorry to burst your bubble, but your not the only one to still think buying a house now is good. Just dont follow the footsteps of other people.

I dont blame the banks or government for Ireland's crisis. I think its people who make complete misjudgements themselves. This would be a huge mistake. Can you not see that?

Interest rates in Europe WILL increase. Ireland is kidding itself by thinking it can "default" the loan. When will the country wake up and be an adult. Ireland's puperty teen years are certainly over...its time to live in the real world, with REAL MONEY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

How much rent are you paying per year? You need to take that into account when estimating how much you will save by waiting for prices to drop. I'd say that house is worth €120K.

Do ye think that people who are saving up will buy when they can afford and so keep the market from going down too far or are these people few and far between today with the way the economy is?

It's hard to say.

Myself and the girlfriend, we are saving like crazy, and the plan is to buy for cash in a few years.

It is hard to predict just how low prices will go, but in my opinion houses are still seriously overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

nm wrote: »

You are thinking about it all wrong.

If the sums show that the house is worth €160,000 and you pay €250,000, that is €90,000 that you are not spening on your kids' education, on nice holidays that gve you relief from the stress of life, meals out with your spouse, a new second hand car every 5 years rather than every 10 years, a new redecoration of the house from time to time....

Loverman's excellent post has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with property investment (except in the narrow sense that that's where his calculation comes from). Discussing prices and true "value" in this way is simply a proxy for the money you are wasting by overpaying that could otherwise be spent improving quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

with REAL MONEY!!

Real money??? Are you referring to the kind they print out of thin area?! What's real about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Can someone explain how there so many experts of the Galway housing market here. I don't know the Galway market so I couldn't tell whether its good value or not. But some houses are selling in the country so some people have money to buy.

Getting a 4% return was about normal before the property boom and people left inflation to increase the capital on the property but I can't see any capital increasing for a long time 4-5 years maybe more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

If the sums show that the house is worth €160,000 and you pay €250,000, that is €90,000 that you are not spening on your kids' education, on nice holidays that gve you relief from the stress of life, meals out with your spouse, a new second hand car every 5 years rather than every 10 years, a new redecoration of the house from time to time....

Loverman's excellent post has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with property investment (except in the narrow sense that that's where his calculation comes from). Discussing prices and true "value" in this way is simply a proxy for the money you are wasting by overpaying that could otherwise be spent improving quality of life.

Exactly, this is called Oppurtunity Cost. It scares me how many people on boards discussing property don't seem to understand it, or are ignoring it.

Buying something for a higher price than you could have payed, is a cost, even if you can afford it at the higher price.

Dymo wrote: »
    Can someone explain how there so many experts of the Galway housing market here. I don't know the Galway market so I couldn't tell whether its good value or not. But some houses are selling in the country so some people have money to buy.

Getting a 4% return was about normal before the property boom and people left inflation to increase the capital on the property but I can't see any capital increasing for a long time 4-5 years maybe more.

I am not an expert on the Galway property market, but I have a strong interest in economics and was warning people about the bubble a few years before it popped.

To me, it's common sense: if a couple on the average wage are struggling to afford an average home (e.g. a semi-d) there is something wrong. They should comfortably be able to afford the average home, and should not need to panic if one of them is temporarily out of work.

In my mind this means the average home should cost about 120k.

The crazy thing is if every seller agreed with this, it would only be a matter of time before it became reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually it is not just the upfront €90,000 difference, you need to factor in how much that would be over the lifetime of the mortgage, assuming of course one is getting a mortgage.
    Thus the €90,000 difference over a few years could end up being €130,000 over many years.

As regards people asking whether the house is value for money.
    Well maybe it is priced competitively relative to other similar houses in the area at this exact time, and so "at this exact time" it is value for money in the current market.
    It appears even rosier if we compare it to what it was valued 5 years ago.
    It would in fact appear a steal.

But the question one must ask and the one that whoever buys it will have to live with it, is whether it will keep it's current value over the next few years ?

And I think most people would reckon the answer to the last question is it will definetly drop in price.

My opinion is that one should look at house prices circa mid 90s as idea what prices should be at.
    At the moment I reckon prices are circa 2001/2002.
    And that was when the real bubble took off, but prices had been increasing throughout the 90s in particular the latter years of the dotcom bubble.

Now whenever a bubble bursts the prices drop back to a point lower than what they were at the start of the bubble.
    I am sure someone can bring up the bell curve for irish construction bubble to highlight this.
    Something along the lines of this from Japan and US.

japan%20housing%20crash%20vs%20us%20big.png

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Op, I still think thats mad money for what your getting. The post above this hits the nail on the head. Borrowing it is one thing, paying back is another. I think buying at the moment given the state of the economy, and imminent interest rate rises, global crisis, that its more reckless now than buying in 07! Who cares what a "fair" valuation is, as a buyer you want prices to undershoot and hopefully for alot of us they will! Id continue to save, put money into decent interest earning account. While I agree with prudence and planning, you are living now, I wouldnt be watching every cent now and depriving myself so I could tie myself into a ton of debt for decades, put it that way. The fall in house prices is probably way more than your saving and it doesnt involve you lifting a finger! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

8, WELLPARK GROVE, WELLPARK, GALWAY., Wellpark, Galway City. this house is bigger,FULLY detached,NO management fees,and is in the estate beside tara grove,also about 60 meters from the bus stop, might be worth a look.

Real money??? Are you referring to the kind they print out of thin area?! What's real about that!

Real Money...CASH!! If you dont have it in your pocket dont buy it!!

I am not an expert on the Galway property market, but I have a strong interest in economics and was warning people about the bubble a few years before it popped.

To me, it's common sense: if a couple on the average wage are struggling to afford an average home (e.g. a semi-d) there is something wrong. They should comfortably be able to afford the average home, and should not need to panic if one of them is temporarily out of work.

In my mind this means the average home should cost about 120k.

The crazy thing is if every seller agreed with this, it would only be a matter of time before it became reality.

Not even 120k...im the above average educated person with a PhD in Chemistry. I cant find a job in the masses of pharmaceutical companies which litter Ireland. If im struggling after 8 years University and 4 years industrial experience under my belt...and still unemployed. I dont know how the average Leaving Cert, young person is going to cope!!!

I aint no expert. But if its difficult for me...what about the people who have less education, less experience or less job prospects? At the end of the day, doesnt matter what your trained in, everyone can be subjected to unemployment and in the Irish Economy there are is nothing certain right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

8, WELLPARK GROVE, WELLPARK, GALWAY., Wellpark, Galway City. this house is bigger,FULLY detached,NO management fees,and is in the estate beside tara grove,also about 60 meters from the bus stop, might be worth a look.

Is that house in Wellpark?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

That much reported auction (with 85 properties countrywide and low maximum reserves) lists a modern 4 bed in Lucan with a max reserve of 130k. It might get snapped up at the reserve. It might sell way beyond the reserve. It might not sell at all (though I'd be hard pushed to bet on that).

I'd wait and see what happens before I'd consider shelling out your kind of money in Galway. Auctions in mid-april so you won't have to wait long to see/

http://www.daft.ie/allsopspace/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

it's a 4 bed semi-detached asking 265

there's a 5 bed detached asking 250 near it on the google map

I'm not familiar with the area but if the areas aren't too different then the 4bed semi-d sellers don't look to be grounded in reality (but only from my first impression)

Advertisement