Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about credit union [Do they have ATM's/Debit cards]

Options
  • 24-03-2011 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Do credit unions have atms and credit cards or better yet debit visa cards like ulsterbank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,502 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no, not that I've ever come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, they're not set up to do personal banking in the same way the banks are. They lack a unified ATM/Debit card system as technically each Credit Union is a seperate entity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ballalley

hi....yeah my credit union in tipperary has an atm and I have a card for it. It also works in Bank of Ireland ATMs, handy if away and want to get some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

Not that many do unfortuntely, and if they do - its usually just for their own ATM or maybe if they do their banking with a certain larger bank, like BOI or AIB you may be able to use their ATM but thats as far it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

I've never came across it myself, but maybe some larger ones do- I' say you'd be lucky to get one though, as previous posters have said they don't seem to cater for personal banking, more savings and loans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There was an attempt a few years ago to implement a nationwide system whereby they would have their own independent ATM network and to streamline their banking services to appeal to younger members.

An firm of consultants from the UK was contracted by the Irish League of Credit Unions (ILCU) but the project was an unmitigated disaster, it eventually collapsed under the weight of a series of monumental cockups (almost all caused by the ILCU's inexperience at managing a project of this size) and tens of millions of pounds were written off.

One of the biggest mistakes the ILCU made was that they forgot to factor in the VAT they would have to pay for the IT services they had contracted to purchase. The UK consultants bid for the business at an ex. VAT price which is standard practice for business to business commerce but nobody in the ILCU realised (until it was too late) that they would have to pay VAT on top of the bill. They haven't had the heart to attempt a similar project in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

coylemj wrote: »
    There was an attempt a few years ago to implement a nationwide system whereby they would have their own independent ATM network and to streamline their banking services to appeal to younger members.

An firm of consultants from the UK was contracted by the Irish League of Credit Unions (ILCU) but the project was an unmitigated disaster, it eventually collapsed under the weight of a series of monumental cockups (almost all caused by the ILCU's inexperience at managing a project of this size) and tens of millions of pounds were written off.

One of the biggest mistakes the ILCU made was that they forgot to factor in the VAT they would have to pay for the IT services they had contracted to purchase. The UK consultants bid for the business at an ex. VAT price which is standard practice for business to business commerce but nobody in the ILCU realised (until it was too late) that they would have to pay VAT on top of the bill. They haven't had the heart to attempt a similar project in the meantime.

:eek:

Advertisement