Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match real paint to digital paint

Options
  • 24-03-2011 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get a paint supplier to mix me a colour from Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop.

I gave him the RGB values but he just looked at me. Is there any information I could give him that would enable him to do the mix?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What's the paint for? A house, or a car? If you had a Pantone colour, it can be done. Not sure about RGB as I only have my own software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

It's for the front door of a building. The rest of the building is black and white and the door will be the only colour. It has to match a logo colour, as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The only thing you can do so, is find someone with extraordinary patience. It's possible to do one of two things, either cocktail the colour up by hand (Which is a rare skill), or get someone to go through the 200k or so samples of paint swatches they usually have with their software package and try them all out by eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

shayser wrote: »
    I'm trying to get a paint supplier to mix me a colour from Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop.

I gave him the RGB values but he just looked at me. Is there any information I could give him that would enable him to do the mix?

Thanks.

Did you ask him what he uses to match colours? There are different programs out there for matching samples people bring in to paint colours...I'm surprised he wasn't able to tell you what information he needed to mix the paint.

There are some sites like this one that let you put in the RGB values and match them to a paint brand but as the warning on the site says they can only approximate. As RGB colours are used for TV and the net and not print it will be harder to get the exact match you want using the RGB values...if you can find a pantone match or CMYK value you'd have a better chance of getting a closer match.

Photoshop gave me the pantone colour - 129C. It also gives L: 85, a: 4, b: 69. I'll see if they can work with that. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Photoshop gave me the pantone colour - 129C. It also gives L: 85, a: 4, b: 69. I'll see if they can work with that. Thanks.

Be careful with Pantone colours. There is a marked difference between shades on matt and gloss paper.

What is the logo used on?

It's fairly new. So far it's only being used on company letterheads but the digital image has gone to a printers to be used for a sign on the front of the building. It will be also be on the website (and the front door if the paint shop can do a good enough match).

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭qpd

Does your paint supplier use the RAL colour guide?
    129c isn't far off RAL 1018.

Thanks for the replies. It had to be done today. The only numbers the supplier was interested in were those on the manufacturer's swatches. So, I pointed to what looked like the closest. We'll see how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The thing is how can you be absolutely sure your monitor is calibrated to show pantone colours correctly?

The only way to be certain is to use the real paper pantone colour sample and tune your computer monitor to match it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement