Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doorbell not ringing

Options
  • 24-03-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

My doorbell is not working any more.
    How can I discover if it is the push button or the chime itself that is broken?
    It is an electric bell and all the cables are walled up.
    Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

It could also be a transformer issue. Make sure you have the stated voltage on the secondary coil for starters. Report back if that's okay. If you don't know what I'm talking about but are confident enough to work on electrics let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

disconnect the power(precaution as bell should be low voltage)
    remove door bell push button
    disconnect the wires from the connections and join them together in a connector block
    turn power back on
    this will determine if the push is faulty
    report back and we will try step 2 if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Hi Jeepers, no I haven’t a clue though I reckon the transformer is in the chime box on the wall, right? I can change a plug and fiddle around a bit, but once the circuit breaker is off I’ll follow any advice you can give me.
    Meercat, I’ll follow your instructions tomorrow, see what happens and let you know. Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Meerkat, I followed your instructions, hooked up the wires to a connector and the doorbell rang. The old wire-holding screws were rusted tight. I'll go and buy a new push. Thank you both for replying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

ding dong

• Advertisement
Advertisement