Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match real paint to digital paint

• 24-03-2011 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get a paint supplier to mix me a colour from Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop.

I gave him the RGB values but he just looked at me. Is there any information I could give him that would enable him to do the mix?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

No, one is ink the other is paint. Two different degrees. Try and match it specifically to a RAL or BS number yourself and then give him that number.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

OK, thanks. Is the only way to do this physically by eye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

No, if you can print out a section say 3in sq of the colour. You can bring this into a decent paint shop and their machine should be able to get a pretty close match. It won't be perfect but very close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

Some of the homebase storess have a machine that should be able to match it up for you, if not do as cardwizzard suggests, try printing the colour and they can scan it and give you an exact match. I once brought a cushion into homebase in Ballymun and they were able to scan the cushion and mix me a perfect match, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Google 'RGB to RAL'. Try a few different converters as not all have a comprehensive list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://www.easyrgb.com/index.php?X=SEEK

Pretty simple and should be close enough for paint.

You won't get exact RAL matches, but you should get one that's close enough. There are numerous colour collections to try match your RGB values with.

Also, please remember that unless your monitor is perfectly calibrated, your RGB values are essentially worthless, as they'll only appear as what you see on screen, not even printed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thank's for all the suggestions. I'll know for again. It had to be done this afternoon so all I could do was pick from a swatch. I expected the paint supplier to be a bit more clued in.

Advertisement