Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to fix broken Sat Nav in Galway

Options
  • 24-03-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

HI guys,

The screen on my Sony Sat Nav is cracked so it's broken :(
    Is there anywhere in the city that can fix it or am I better off buying a new one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The peeps in the GPS forum would probably know but I'll leave this here a while.
    Do you have the model number?
    You can google a bit to see how others have fixed theirs
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=sony+gps+screen+repair

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

Sat Navs have gotten so cheap, you'd be better off buying a new one.

This may be the time to get a smart phone with built-in GPS?
    Me and herself have Nokias with GPS and they work really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

biko wrote: »
    This may be the time to get a smart phone with built-in GPS?
    Me and herself have Nokias with GPS and they work really well.

This! Although most do require a data plan to access the maps themselves.

The 5800 I use has maps for UK & Ireland you download and use for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I use the Nokia also and while it's good on long journeys, I've found that around town, it can screw up the calculations.

It will get you there, but not using the shortest or quickest way, despite the settings (using shortest or best route). It seems to have some attraction to water.

For example, starting at Moneenageisha lights, and putting in a destination of Knocknacarra Park, it tries to route me via the docks and Salthill which is a kilometer longer.

If I ignore it and drive to the Cemetary Cross roundabout, it tells me to go back to Moneenageisha.

Ignoring it again and after travelling over Quincentenary bridge, it recalculates and tells me to turn left towards the hospital towards Salthill. If I ignore it and drive straight, it recalculates again and tells me that my destination is 1.2 Km nearer - why it can't do this in the 1st place I don't know.

I have the latest maps and Ovi maps software.

Despite this issue, it will get you there, and it's free, and driving by the Prom is much nicer, especially in nice weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

extraice wrote: »
    try the guy up in Auto Electrical Concepts
    09xxx

sorry didnt know you cont post up tel phone numbers .... tought i was been helpfull

extraice wrote: »
    sorry didnt know you cont post up tel phone numbers .... tought i was been helpfull
    You were, just that generally numbers or mails aren't allowed as they change or expire, stuff like that, while boards pages lasts for years.
    No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Ya I think you may be right about them being cheap now..
    Extraice Can you pm me the phone number please??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dilallio wrote: »
    Despite this issue, it will get you there, and it's free, and driving by the Prom is much nicer, especially in nice weather.

It knows the nicest route, and is telling you! Trust in the machine ...

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement