Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MLB 2011 Season

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Great result for the Mets last night. last 3 results have been great. hope we can keep it up now. Reyes is playing great lately.

They really have to win tonight to win the series because with Verlander on the mound tomorrow they have no chance!

2 road series wins will set them up nicely for the weekend series against the Yankees. I've been impressed with them lately, although K-Rod still gives me a heart attack every time he pitches. If they get Wright back before the All-Star break and maybe Santana shortly afterwards they might do alright. They still won't make the playoffs but they'll do a lot better than most people imagined at the start of the season. Terry Collins has done a fantastic job with what he's had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Mr Grienke just showed why he'll never be an elite pitcher.. 7 runs in less than 3 innings against the Yankees tonight

If he didn't crumble when in the limelight he would be elite. :(
    This is why he chose Brewers and not Yankees to sign for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

If he didn't crumble when in the limelight he would be elite. :(
    This is why he chose Brewers and not Yankees to sign for.

Doesn't he have some social anxiety disorder??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Great result for the Mets last night. last 3 results have been great. hope we can keep it up now. Reyes is playing great lately.

And doing great tonight too. 8-2 up now in the fifth. Watching the Yankee game right now but might switch over. Great to see them doing good for a change. The Subway Series that is coming up this weekend should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

MoyVilla9 wrote: »

And doing great tonight too. 8-2 up now in the fifth. Watching the Yankee game right now but might switch over. Great to see them doing good for a change. The Subway Series that is coming up this weekend should be interesting.
    Won 16-9 in the end. Im delighted, scored a total of 52 runs in the last 4 games. Reyes is just class at the minute. hope we can keep him. Subway series should be a good one

Doesn't he have some social anxiety disorder??

Yeah he does.
    Yankees were favourites to get him last year but he signed for Brewers.
    At the time it was said he wouldn't have been able to handle the scrutiny in NY so he went for Brewers.
    The commentators were chatting a bit about it the other night as he gave up 7 in 2 innings in Yankee stadium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Pujols is back in the lineup tonight :eek:

6 week injury prognosis and returns in 2. He either wasnt as injured as the docs said or something dodgy is going down...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Another good win for the Mets last night. on a streak of 4 now. we seem to be playing good on the road

Another good win for the Mets last night. on a streak of 4 now. we seem to be playing good on the road

Pity they can't play as well at home eh? It's a good run they're on, especially considering they are doing it without 3/4 of their infield and the one of starter that is playing (Justin turner) started the season in triple A and wasn't supposed to be on the team.

Last season they held their own until the all star break before dropping off badly the second half so I hope that doesn't happen again this year. I'd like to think they're a better ran club so hopefully they won't be as bad this time but Dave Wrights comebacks been delayed and probably won't be ready for the phillie series after the all star break and it looks like Reyes is going on the DL today so he'll miss that series too so it's going to be tough start to the second half

I think, starting tonight they are going through a spell where they'll be facing 7 all star pitchers in a row so after this stretch hopefully they'll still be a couple of games over 500

I think, starting tonight they are going through a spell where they'll be facing 7 all star pitchers in a row so after this stretch hopefully they'll still be a couple of games over 500

...and 1 game into this 7 game stretch, they've scored 0 runs! It's going to be a long week.

• Advertisement

Jeter just got his 3000th hit in style...

...and 1 game into this 7 game stretch, they've scored 0 runs! It's going to be a long week.
    Ye were up against the Dodgers ace so its was gonna be tough but ye got a good result last night. Another ace for ye tonight so it is a tough run of games...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Coeus wrote: »
    Jeter just got his 3000th hit in style...

He's on a roll today. The guy that caught it got some nice seats.

ro2 wrote: »
    He's on a roll today. The guy that caught it got some nice seats.
    Looked like he was in the front row of the bleachers, that ball will be worth some. 2nd player to reach 3000 hits with a homer. Great day for him alright, his best hitting day in years...

Looked like he was in the front row of the bleachers, that ball will be worth some. 2nd player to reach 3000 hits with a homer. Great day for him alright, his best hitting day in years...

Not any more he isn't. He gave it to Jeter as he thought "he deserved it". Nice gesture by the Yankees in return. They gave him free access to as Suite for every game for the rest of the season up to an including the World Series if they get there. They also gave him a load of free gear and brought him into the clubhouse to meet Jeter and the rest of the team after the game.

He's obviously a die-hard Yankee fan who isn't obsessed with money. he was interviewed in the booth during the game and seemed like a decent bloke who was more than happy to see Jeter get the ball.

Not any more he isn't. He gave it to Jeter as he thought "he deserved it". Nice gesture by the Yankees in return. They gave him free access to as Suite for every game for the rest of the season up to an including the World Series if they get there. They also gave him a load of free gear and brought him into the clubhouse to meet Jeter and the rest of the team after the game.

He's obviously a die-hard Yankee fan who isn't obsessed with money. he was interviewed in the booth during the game and seemed like a decent bloke who was more than happy to see Jeter get the ball.
    Yea, they just said on the Phillies game. I had to switch over after the 3000th hit as the GAA took priority here in Kildare so missed that interview.

Fair play to the guy who caught the ball, a real fan. Meeting Derek and the team on the big day will mean alot to him. Having the suite for him and his mates will ease the pain of the financial gain he could have had...

And now Cliff Lee hits his first major league homer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

And now Cliff Lee hits his first major league homer...

I'm 9-10 down in HR's in fantasy this week....and Clifton Phifer's doesn't count because he's a SP.

:(

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm 9-10 down in HR's in fantasy this week....and Clifton Phifer's doesn't count because he's a SP.

:(
    I have 9 HRs this week but I trail by 5 :confused:

Lee is pitching well so U may get a win, some strikes to boot if U need them...

Note as I was typing he gives up a homer to Uggla. I now trail by 4 :-)

• Advertisement

Lee is pitching well so U may get a win, some strikes to boot if U need them...

Should be ok for K's, but Hanson is pitching excellently too. Really good game to watch if you like good pitching, very few bad pitches. Not sure which way this will go, or if Lee will pitch the 9th, but enjoying it. Come on Phils!

With injuries and people pulling out, 84 players have now received call ups to the All Star Game. I always thought it was ridiculous that an exhibition game had meaning but this now makes it even more of a farce.

Watching this home run derby on ESPN and just decided to check out the internet stream. It's actually running ahead of the TV, first time I've seen that. This is not on ESPN, not on at all!
    I'll get over losing the five seconds though.haha.

Going for David Ortiz tonight. Two in a row maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I didn't watch the HR Derby but was expecting Bautista to put on a show. Was really surprised to hear he only hit 4 :confused:

I didn't watch the HR Derby but was expecting Bautista to put on a show. Was really surprised to hear he only hit 4 :confused:
    I watched until Bautista had a go, I think he was trying too hard. He hit 2 without an out then tried to hit the ball out of the park. Cano and Gonzalez were swinging smoothly and hitting home runs with ease. I wasn't surprised to read they got to final this morning...

Well that was disappointing
    Highlights of the evening for me were Michael Pineda's 10 pitch, 2 strikeout inning (which was completely ignored by the announcers who preferred to discuss Derek Jeter)
    and a very drunken Justin Timberlake taking the piss out of Joe Buck :cool:

• Advertisement

So K-Rod gets traded to the Brewers for cash and 2 players to be named later..

So K-Rod gets traded to the Brewers for cash and 2 players to be named later..

When I read it first I thought the brewers were giving the mets cash along with the 2 players (who are likely to be bums) in return for k-rod. It was only when I read closer I realised that it was the mets giving the money! He's owed €4.9m for the rest of the season so it looks like the mets are paying part of not all of his salary.

I don't know what to think yet. On one hand they aren't liable for the €17.5m option kicking in if he finishes 55 games and maybe they'll put that towards making Reyes a better offer next season and let's be honest, although his save percentage has been good this year, he isn't the pitcher he was a year or two ago and he rarely gets 1-2-3 quick saves (1 or 2 always seem to get on base).

On the other hand though, it's the first sign that the mets have given up for 2011 and that the salary dumping will continue. I never thought they were in with a chance of the playoffs but it would have been nice to see them try and be competitive for a bit longer.

With his two hits last night, Ichiro now has 2353 MLB hits
    If you include his hits in Japan, that gives him 3631 passing Stan Musial for fourth in the all-time list :cool:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_...ic_id=11493214

Pretty bad call to end a 19 inning game eh? Maybe the umpire just had enough as it was about 2am and wanted to go home!

King Felix and the Mariners snap the 17 game losing streak with 9 runs on 17 hits against the Yankees. Can't think of a sweeter way to do it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Yeah. Finally this afternoon the mariners managed to actually win a game after 17 losses.

Now there's a series against the rays ans then the A's so its possible they could win some more...

yes...i'm bitter...

:mad:

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yeah. Finally this afternoon the mariners managed to actually win a game after 17 losses.

Now there's a series against the rays ans then the A's so its possible they could win some more...

yes...i'm bitter... this sh*t has gone on too fcuking long....

:mad:

Yeah it has been frustrating but there has been signs over the last week or so that the offense is starting to pick things up (41 runs in the past 9 games against 3 good teams. Well...the Jays are decent), the problem is the pitching which we expect so much from has been pretty terrible over the past 17 games.

It's vital that they get the first win against the Rays on Friday (Bedard pitching) or the confidence they got from todays win could go just as fast

If the season ended now there'd still be a hell of a lot of positives to take from it. Pineda, Fister, Ryan. They've given a lot of at-bats to rookies and some have looked promising if a little raw. Ackley is going to be a superstar.
    Although you'd have to be concerned about Smoak's decline and Cust, Figgins and Guti should be shown the door

+10000 on figgins needing to go. Guti too really. 185 isnt good enough.

Ackley and Ryan have been amazing.

Did you see Wedge(sp?) shaved his mustache?

Verlander and Weaver pitching gems against each other...this is awesome to watch. JV is unhit through 7....

Edit: Weaver just ejected for throwing at Avila's head after giving up a homer. Heating up now.

+10000 on figgins needing to go. Guti too really. 185 isnt good enough.

Ackley and Ryan have been amazing.

Did you see Wedge(sp?) shaved his mustache?

Yup...poor guy was desperate. Wouldn't be surprised if he sacrificed a lamb to the gods for that win :D

What do you make of the trades? They got two great prospects for Bedard. Trayvon Robinson is meant to be pretty good and the other guy, Chih Hsien Chiang is putting up crazy numbers in AA. I'm not too sure letting Fister go was a good idea, but they did get a decent return on that one too.

The trades? Prospects are good, although it requiires some optimism to appreciate "prospects"!

Mariners just swept Oakland A's 3 games series which was encouraging.

This was funny from last night, a guy dressed and looking like Ichiro, sitting in the front row, interfered with a hit by dustin ackley and got himself ejected. He thought it was a foul:

(Do a search on google news and you'll get the video, I couldnt link to it.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Imposter-Ichiro-goes-overboard-pursuing-Ackley-s?urn=mlb-wp14845

Brendan Ryan got a unique triple that I've never seen before.

He got a hit, ran to 1st base beating out the throw. As he's standing at 1st with the fielder holding the ball, he sees there's nobody covering second so he takes off. The 1st base guy is standing holding the ball watching him run with nobody to throw to. Hysterical.

He reaches second safe, the fielders catch up and cluster at 2nd, the 1st base guys throws the ball to 2nd, and then Ryan notices nobody covering third!

SO he takes off again. There's THREE fielders standing at second with the ball, watching him run to third but with nobody covering and nowhere to throw the ball.

Amazing.

:D

He got a hit, ran to 1st base beating out the throw. As he's standing at 1st with the fielder holding the ball, he sees there's nobody covering second so he takes off. The 1st base guy is standing holding the ball watching him run with nobody to throw to. Hysterical.

He reaches second safe, the fielders catch up and cluster at 2nd, the 1st base guys throws the ball to 2nd, and then Ryan notices nobody covering third!

SO he takes off again. There's THREE fielders standing at second with the ball, watching him run to third but with nobody covering and nowhere to throw the ball.

Amazing.

yeah, that was great. I think the A's were already thinking of what they'd be doing once the season ends.

Amazing.

Here's the video: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17585257&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_17585257&v=3
    I love the fact that he takes a look at home as well :D

I love the fact that he takes a look at home as well :D

Brendan Ryan, (family from tipparary at some point?) is going to be a big star.

• Advertisement

Here comes the Bull Pen!!

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_05_phimlb_sfnmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=phi

Incidentally, for anyone up against me in Fantasy Baseball - I own Shane Victorino and Pablo Sandoval. Expect suspensions....

Here comes the Bull Pen!!

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_05_phimlb_sfnmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=phi

Incidentally, for anyone up against me in Fantasy Baseball - I own Shane Victorino and Pablo Sandoval. Expect suspensions....
    Yea, Victorino is definitely gonna get some benchtime. Phillies are still miffed that they were beaten by them in the playoffs last year...

Mets season officially over.

While there was no way they were going to make the playoffs, the were hanging in around .500 thanks to having 2 players in the top 5 in NL batting average (1 Jose Reyes and 5 Daniel Murphy) and another player having a great year (Carlos Beltran).

Now Beltran's with the Giants, Murphy's done for the year and Reyes is likely out for a few weeks. The starting and relief pitching is average at best and the rest of the offence is struggling so they might as well just pull down the shutters and go home.

This was from last night. Mariners at red Sox.

The umpire reverses the call and disallows the run. Very rare. The ump assumed the catcher had let go of the ball but he hadnt. He as lying there unconscious still clutching it.

Amazing throw from Ichiro. A one hopper right from the outfield into the hands of the catcher.

AJ Burnett causes a little storm in a teacup by saying something back to Girardi after being pulled from another stinker by him.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=18239905&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_18239905&v=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

DBacks send Kelly Johnson (2B) to Blue Jays for Aaron Hill & John McDonald. DBacks trying to spark something.

Also, Wandy looks to have been claimed by the Rockies.

boccy23 wrote: »
    DBacks send Kelly Johnson (2B) to Blue Jays for Aaron Hill & John McDonald. DBacks trying to spark something.

Also, Wandy looks to have been claimed by the Rockies.

Always liked John McDonald

Anybody watching the Yankees v Oakland game tonight??

Yankees were down 7-2 in the middle of the 4th

Just checked there now at the bottom of the 9th and there 22-9 up:eek:

They became the 1st team ever to hit 3 grand slams in 1 game..
    1 each from cano, martin and granderson. :D

2012 schedules out today. Get planning those trips away!

I've my eye on May 14-17, Mets homestand with 2 games each against the Brewers and the Reds.

• Advertisement

2012 schedules out today. Get planning those trips away!
    Indeed they have, all the teams I have bought tickets from in the past have been spamming my email today about their 2012 schedules. I don't think I'm gonna be able to get over to the US next year though :(

Advertisement