Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Culture

• 24-03-2011 3:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭

What do you think the traits of college culture in Ireland are? personally what struck me about the way college students stand out is the bizarre way some of the men dress. The style of dress I find bizarre is the grey tracksuit bottoms and purple hoodies which is very common. Sometimes from far away it is hard to tell whether it is a man or woman. I think their is a very strong feminine influence on the culture in irish colleges and this bizzare dress sense is one example of this. What I want to know is what are the driving forces behind college culture? Has anyone ever thought of this?
    it is quite unique if you keep an open mind

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think its great to see students wearing any thing they want to. Multicoloured hair, tracks, jeans, combats, kilts - well tbh I haven't seen any kilts. I am grateful that the fashion for falling down trousers has gone but otherwise, wear whatever you like. Its a great opportunity to get it out of your system after school uniforms and before work gear. Go for it.

I can't say I have seen the purple hoodie style, though why a purple hoodie would look any more feminine than any other colour I am not sure, and I certainly haven't noticed that the style generally is effeminate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

i totally agree. but when you get lots of small groups together they are normally cultural aspects they share and a wider culture they follow. it is just an observation that many of the male students dress like 5 year olds with grey tracksuit panse and a light green or baby blue hoody. i wouldnt say its gay, its beyond being gay.
    anyone like to share their observations?

Well no, you don't totally agree, you are querying people wearing a style that you don't approve of. Presumably you approve of bright red mohawk hairstyles or tatoos and piercings, for example, how can you then decide that some colours are in some way unsuitable.

And what on earth do you mean by 'gay' in that context? This is supposed to be a science thread, 'gay' is hardly a scientific description of a social phenomenon.

looksee wrote: »
    Well no, you don't totally agree,
    you are querying people wearing a style that you don't approve of. Presumably you approve of bright red mohawk hairstyles or tatoos and piercings, for example, how can you then decide that some colours are in some way unsuitable.

And what on earth do you mean by 'gay' in that context? This is supposed to be a science thread, 'gay' is hardly a scientific description of a social phenomenon.

i totally agree with ya there. ya i know. i wouldnt expect you to understand since your such a 'scientific' person :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

i totally agree with ya there. ya i know. i wouldnt expect you to understand since your such a 'scientific' person :rolleyes:

Have you considered putting forward a decent argument?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055790943

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Anyone have anything substantive to add before locking?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

efla wrote: »
    Anyone have anything substantive to add before locking?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What do you think the traits of college culture in Ireland are? personally what struck me about the way college students stand out is the bizarre way some of the men dress. The style of dress I find bizarre is the grey tracksuit bottoms and purple hoodies which is very common. Sometimes from far away it is hard to tell whether it is a man or woman. I think their is a very strong feminine influence on the culture in irish colleges and this bizzare dress sense is one example of this. What I want to know is what are the driving forces behind college culture? Has anyone ever thought of this?
    it is quite unique if you keep an open mind

I think there are lots of different cultures in colleges in Ireland - I finished my undergrad about 9 years ago in NCI a small business college in Dublin 9 years ago - the culture there was quite relaxed - very mixed in terms of background, social class, geography, area - quite female dominated in terms of the numbers of students attending - On the other hand I am just finishing a postgrad in UCD - My class was very mixed in the same way - social class, background, geography but I found in UCD in general that stereotypes were very visible - Your typical UCD student has a South Dublin accent - hangs around with all of his/her mates from the same school - wears the UCD hoodie etc - Of course there are a huge amount of UCD students who don't fit into this stereotype but it's almost like the stereotype is so exclusionary and offputting to those outside it that anyone outside the norm is invisibilised or drops out because they feel so excluded. It would be fascinating to do actually do a thesis on that very subject. The other fascinating thing is how obsessed quite a lot of students are with their looks - The girls - well you never see them without makeup - The lads are always very toned etc. I'm well aware a lot of this is generalisations but I have noticed myself on an individual basis how the culture within UCD can exclude

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I think there are lots of different cultures in colleges in Ireland - I finished my undergrad about 9 years ago in NCI a small business college in Dublin 9 years ago - the culture there was quite relaxed - very mixed in terms of background, social class, geography, area - quite female dominated in terms of the numbers of students attending - On the other hand I am just finishing a postgrad in UCD - My class was very mixed in the same way - social class, background, geography but I found in UCD in general that stereotypes were very visible - Your typical UCD student has a South Dublin accent - hangs around with all of his/her mates from the same school - wears the UCD hoodie etc - Of course there are a huge amount of UCD students who don't fit into this stereotype but it's almost like the stereotype is so exclusionary and offputting to those outside it that anyone outside the norm is invisibilised or drops out because they feel so excluded. It would be fascinating to do actually do a thesis on that very subject. The other fascinating thing is how obsessed quite a lot of students are with their looks - The girls - well you never see them without makeup - The lads are always very toned etc. I'm well aware a lot of this is generalisations but I have noticed myself on an individual basis how the culture within UCD can exclude

i noticed u.s. movies like to promote college as a place where you can be anything you want to be but in reality its a very restrictive place where conformity is the number one priority of students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

Its a bit mad alright :pac: Best of luck to them. I'll be going to college in September out in Ballyfermot. When I went to the interview there was a few others in the room and they were dressed in the "typical college student" get up. You wont catch me looking like that around those parts...I'm draped in Nike, Adidas, Air Max runners and gold rings...not your average looking college student :p

• Advertisement

barry711 wrote: »
    Its a bit mad alright :pac: Best of luck to them. I'll be going to college in September out in Ballyfermot. When I went to the interview there was a few others in the room and they were dressed in the "typical college student" get up. You wont catch me looking like that around those parts...I'm draped in Nike, Adidas, Air Max runners and gold rings...not your average looking college student :p

Are you assuming that none of the other students in the room were local to Ballyfermot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

looksee wrote: »
    Are you assuming that none of the other students in the room were local to Ballyfermot?

Ehh no... How the did you even get to that assumption based on what I posted?? :confused:

Advertisement