Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked car

Options
  • 24-03-2011 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

2 days ago i bought a car from dealer and i gave him mine as a trade.
    Today i check carzone and i saw my car but milage was 15000 miles less, so i check the car what i bought and he was also clocked - 6000 miles.
    What I can do i that case?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Was it a SIMI garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

tell him you know he is clocking cars and if he does not give you back a substantial refund you will report him to simi, guards and anybody else you can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Januszek

Yes he is SIMI registered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Are you getting mileage and kms mixed up, or are the garage? Have you actual proof that the clocks have been altered?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Then i think hes bound by SIMI laws to refund you. Not too familiar with them tho.

• Advertisement

I have proof.
    I've check my car on motorcheck.ie and i have a report
    Also I know what was the milage of my previous car, was also serviced with 68k KM, and now has 46k KM

Is that on the clock or advertised with 46k km? It could be an error on dealers part. Cant see anyone clocking a car by 6k tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Firstly, on the car you have now bought, you will find it very hard to prove that this garage clocked it or knew it was clocked - too many silly loopholes for them to get off on.

The fact that he is reselling your old car with a reduced mileage does leave him wide open though and deserves to be caught. You firstly need to be sure that he has clocked your old car as opposed to a mix up re miles/km. Also, he could just be advertising it with those miles to make it look better with the hope of playing down the additional mileage when customer is on the forecourt. If you are certain, you would then need to be sure he is offering it for sale with the now lower miles - he could for example be advising any buyers that the miles are wrong - he is not breaking any law if he does that. HIghly unlikely though.

If I was you, I would send a friend in to pretend to be interested in the car to be sure he is sellling it clocked. When certian, report it to gardai. You could then it up with the case of the actual car you just bought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Call the Gardai right now.

It'd be possible for the garage to pretend they didn't know your car was clocked, but the coincidence of both cars being clocked, and your trade in being clocked and still in their possession, is pretty damning.

Car clockers need to be dealt with by the law, they're thieves by another name.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

OP, did you verify the service history on your car before you bought it? I bought a car before, and about 5 months later the dealer was caught clocking (or at least with about 10 clocked cars on his forecourt :rolleyes:) So I phoned the last place that had serviced it, and they confirmed the mileage that was on it when it was last serviced, 3 months before I bought it, so I knew it hadn't been clocked.

As mickdw said, get a friend to go down to the garage and look at your old car to see what mileage it is, if it's reduced, call the Gardai.

• Advertisement

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/1.8I-SE-/201112201744011/advert?channel=CARS

That was my previous car, and if there is no mistake with milage I'm sure that was clocked. When I trade this cars it has 73,500.

I also wondering about another thing, is there any chance to get at least mobile number to the person who owns that car before me?

Toots* wrote: »
    OP, did you verify the service history on your car before you bought it? I bought a car before, and about 5 months later the dealer was caught clocking (or at least with about 10 clocked cars on his forecourt :rolleyes:) So I phoned the last place that had serviced it, and they confirmed the mileage that was on it when it was last serviced, 3 months before I bought it, so I knew it hadn't been clocked.

As mickdw said, get a friend to go down to the garage and look at your old car to see what mileage it is, if it's reduced, call the Gardai.

I did not verify the service history, because car has 106 km so i think there is no history

-Chris- wrote: »
    Call the Gardai right now.

It'd be possible for the garage to pretend they didn't know your car was clocked, but the coincidence of both cars being clocked, and your trade in being clocked and still in their possession, is pretty damning.

Car clockers need to be dealt with by the law, they're thieves by another name.

I called to Gardai, they told me that there is notfing that they can do, and i have to deal with the dealer by myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Januszek wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/1.8I-SE-/201112201744011/advert?channel=CARS

That was my previous car, and if there is no mistake with milage I'm sure that was clocked. When I trade this cars it has 73,500.

You need to be sure that the mileage on the dashboard is what's displayed on the advertisement.
    I also wondering about another thing, is there any chance to get at least mobile number to the person who owns that car before me?

No, Data Protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Buying-a-car/clocked-cars.html

"Report car clocking
    If you have evidence that a car has been clocked, report this as soon as possible to us on LoCall 1890 432 432, on 01 402 5555 or through our website.
    Any delay in reporting it may affect our ability to take action.
    The National Consumer Agency's aim is to contribute to stamping out this practice through raising consumer awareness, prosecuting offences, liaising with the industry and in any other way we possibly can."

73.5k km is about 45.7k miles. It is possible they filled outthe incorrect figure or may be trying to show the car in a better light.

Have you seen the odometer to verify a discrepancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The ncai have a report on their site that your garage has been caught for this before. They're known for it.

I called to Gardai, they told me that there is notfing that they can do, and i have to deal with the dealer by myself

Do you have an old NCT cert with the mileage reading on it?

I've been on dealer website and the milege is right, i has to be a mistake in carzone,

but still i don't know what to do with my car.
    Is INMR may help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Vicxas wrote: »
    Then i think hes bound by SIMI laws to refund you. Not too familiar with them tho.

Very ill-informed post.
    If you knew anything about SIMI you'd know that most people who know the motor trade would literally LOL at this.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Do you have an old NCT cert with the mileage reading on it?

NO, car is 6 months old

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not sure if I'm missing soemthign here as I'm skimming.

You tradeing the 07 Civic with Xkm's and it's now for sale with reduced mileage. That part is clear.

The car you bought was only 6 months old and you reckon they shaved 6000 kms off it? Where does the proof of that come from? Whats the reference to 106 km?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I've been on dealer website and the milege is right, i has to be a mistake in carzone,

but still i don't know what to do with my car.
    Is INMR may help?

If I'm getting you right, you suspect your new car has been clocked because of dodginess in the way your old car is being sold.

I don't know that its of any comfort but its kind of pointless to clock a car for 6,000 km - you incur all the risk of criminal activity for no real gain.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Is there any way a mechanic could tell if a car was clocked?

It's all clear now, will be the best if I start from the begining.

On monday i went to garage to buy a car. Toyota IQ wit 106 km, dealer told me that the lady who had that car before was not happy, so they buy car back of her.
    I gave my honda as a trade.
    Today i chcked carzone.ie just to see for how much he put this on sale.
    I spot wrong milege.
    I went to motorcheck.ie and bought full history for my toyota.
    Mileage from report was 6000 miles.
    I call motorcheck for advise, they told me that they investigate that, and let me know.
    In the meantime i go for dealer website directly to look on honda, and i spot that there is mistake on carzone (somebody put miles insted of kilometers)
    And finaly I have a call from motorcheck that they investigate that and my milage is right, dealer updated milage wrong.
    96 Kms (60 Mls) -10/12/2010
    96 Kms (60 Mls) - 05/11/2010
    96 Kms (60 Mls) - 13/10/2010
    96 Kms (60 Mls) - 13/10/2010
    64 Kms (40 Mls) - 13/10/2010
    This is what i have know i my report.

Before was pretty much the same but to every figure was added 000.

Sorry for bother

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Glad its sorted. Always best to do a bit of detailed research before storming into the dealer.
    A toyota iQ will be a bit of a toy compared to everything else your civic though I would imagine:D

mickdw wrote: »
    Glad its sorted. Always best to do a bit of detailed research before storming into the dealer.
    A toyota iQ will be a bit of a toy compared to everything else your civic though I would imagine:D

I did not storm the dealer but i think motorcheck did.
    Anyway at least I'm sure what I got.

P.s
    I like toys

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

OT but where do the likes of motorcheck get their figures for milegaes, especially in the case of a 6 month old car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dealer inputs the mileage when the car is traded in, changes of ownership, rf105 etc is done electronically now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement