Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotary washing line

• 24-03-2011 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Am absolutely mortified asking such a stoopid question but here goes :o

I want to get a rotary clothes line but our back garden has about 6" of stones and then plastic underneath. Is there any way of anchoring the clothes line without digging holes? If not, what's the best way of digging down to secure the line?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Get an old bucket (5l paint bucket or grout bucket) place the metal or plastic sleeve supplied with the line in it and fill the bucket with lean mix concrete. You can buy ready mixed bags from a DIY or hardware store, just add a little water- a dry mix is easier to use as the sleeve is less likely to move about. When the concrete has set you mark your position for the line and then dig a hole with a spade, using a pick axe or crow bar to break up the ground if it's very rocky. When you've reached a sufficient depth you can throw a shovelful of sand in the bottom to level it out, insert bucket and backfill, keeping the bucket vertical. Tamp the soil well around the bucket as you fill. Job done, insert line and have a cup of tea. You could place the concrete directly in the hole (and not bother with a bucket at all) but I think this way is neater and easier and it allows you to move the line in the future (say you build a shed or something like that). A small bag or premixed concrete (or fence post mix) will probably cost about €6. Have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

rylie wrote: »
    Am absolutely mortified asking such a stoopid question but here goes :o

I want to get a rotary clothes line but our back garden has about 6" of stones and then plastic underneath. Is there any way of anchoring the clothes line without digging holes? If not, what's the best way of digging down to secure the line?

I used an old racing tyre (any tyre will do) and filled with concrete, placed bit of plastic inside first to keep concrete from leaking until it sets. Job done.
    Can easily be moved around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

The tyre is a great idea, haven't seen it done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Sorry to hijack thread but was just about to start a thread on rotary dryers and saw this. Can anyone recommend a particular brand/place to get them or are they all pretty similar? Also, how difficult are they usually to set up (for a DIY amateur)?!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

For ours, I hammered in a piece of steel piping that has a bore of 1" 1/4.
    I used about a 15 inch piece and hammered it in with a sledge hammer. The bore of the washing line is 1 inch and will fit directly into the larger pipe. Very solid job which allows me to remove the line on a very windy day to prevent any damage from it spinning around and around :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

TheNibbler wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack thread but was just about to start a thread on rotary dryers and saw this. Can anyone recommend a particular brand/place to get them or are they all pretty similar? Also, how difficult are they usually to set up (for a DIY amateur)?!

Thanks

From what I've read it's one of those "you get what you pay for" scenarios, i really don't want the hassle of replacing it every few years so I'm gonna invest in a brabenta one. You can pick these up in woodies/b&q

Advertisement