Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on water charges.

Options
  • 24-03-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Recently completed a build of a new home and am currently awaiting the release of the final part of my mortgage.As part of the new build and as part of the planning guidelines we bore our own well thus not needing a mains water supply.Engineer has told me that in order for him to sign off on the house the release of the final payment of mortgage I need a letter from the local council to state that there is no access to a water mains even though it runs right outside our house.Council are looking for €3500 as a contribution fee even though the well was part of the planning guidelines they drew up!Anyone have any experience of this and what we're the outcomes.Mod's feel free to move this if it is not in the desired loation.Thanks PJMG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭KingPuck

Just to clarify, the council stated in your conditions that you had to bore a well yet they still want 3500 for water or is this your overall contributions bill? What county are you in?

In my case they want €4k for water even though I bored my own well. They maintain that as it passes the site we have to pay for it. If you could bag the lime in the water you would be minted.

Does anyone know are they entitled to charge for something that you are not being used? Could the same be said for choosing a private refuse collector rather than the service provided by the council? They will argue that time and money was spent laying the water main. They also would have spent time and money on setting up the refuse scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

PJMG wrote: »
    ....I need a letter from the local council to state that there is no access to a water mains even though it runs right outside our house.

Having access to the mains has nothing to do with it's physical presence or location, or proximity to your house. 'No access' to it can be as simple that - you cannot (i.e. are not allowed), to access(i.e. connect) to it. This could be for any number of reasons (which are irrelevant to the Bank btw..), but it could be as simple as the pipe is at capacity already, and they cannot deliver to you.

So, if the CoCo made a well a condition of your PP, then ask them for the letter you're looking for, saying you have no access to mains water. It's that simple.

Separately, and after getting the letter above !! I would always, always, bargain on the contribution. Ask them for a list of the services they are providing, first, and go from there. If that pipe is on the list, but you 'can't access it'.........then that's some money off right there. So forth and so forth, if you get my drift..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement