Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camino de Santiago queries, info ...

Options
  • 13-05-2005 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hey, has anyone ever done this walk???? I'm doing it in a couple of weeks. Have any tips??

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

I was in pamplona last week, lots of ppl around doing the walk. Most ppl are older this time of the yr, closer to the summer u get more young ppl.
    its an early start in the mornings as u dont want to be walking if the sun gets to hot.
    Bring straps and tape for any injuries. Cans of ice spray from the pharmacy ;).

Friend just got back from doing part of it for the 1st time and they have sworn they are going back again next yr! So thats a pretty good sign that ur going to enjoy it.
    People up north of spain are very friendly. Basque region, being irish is a passport to smiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭gaizka71

That is if you take the "Camino de la costa", if you take the "standard" Camino you do not really see that much of the basque country, just the old kingdom...
    but for sure Basques look up to the Irish.... even for the peace proces....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

A couple of weeks ago I posted looking for people's experiences on the Camino. Having successfully completed it I can now give mine. I went with a group of students from UCD and it was absolutely fantastic.

We walked about 24k a day on average. It was tiring but we all had a great time. When we got to Santiago we were ecstatic to have reached our destination. It is an unbelievable feeling.

Blisters, cuts, aching knees and feet...it was all worth it, an amazing experience!

Thanks to those who posted giving their experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 johnnydd

Has anybody done this walk??If so any advice?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bess

hi i did this walk in 2006 with a group of 7 people. We did around 170 klm in 7 days. Advice would be to prepare for blisters- buy the expensive socks and bring compede... also get a pilgrims passport so that you can stay in pilgrims hostels for free. you should also be aware that one leg of it is a massive hike up a place called "Cebreiro" - you should get a van to carry your backpack at this stage- we covered on average 30klm per day - varied wildly depending on path

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Hi. Can anyone recommend accomodation in Santiago De Compostela in Galicia for June. I am travelling on my own and in an ideal world would like self catering. I am open to ideas. My main priority is to have my own room with bathroom and to be close enough to the centre ( a train or bus ride is fine). I am going to be there from 18th june to 26th june. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Resurecting this thread on the off chance someone might respond:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jimbod

Not too sure if this the right forum, but I am doing the Santiago de campostella walk in Northern Spain in july with a couple of mates. Just wondering does anybody have any tips or advice or what the general experience is like??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I read a book by a guy who did that with a donkey , just can't remember.

He had loads and loads of advise how to get the best hostels etc

Someone out there may know it , I think he was a comedian or something , it was written in a humorous style for sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Hearvee

That'd be this one: Spanish Steps by Tim Moore.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spanish-Steps-Tim-Moore/dp/0099471949

Haven't read it yet, but French Revolutions (about cycling the Tour de France
    route) and Do Not Pass Go (about the monopoly board locations) are both
    very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Thats the one !

Thanks Hearvee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

i remember reading somewhere that the local hostels/pension on the route offer a bed for €3/4 , but this includes no alcohol and in bed by 1030.
    im sure they're other alternitives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

my dad is just back. his feet are totally ****ed. have good shoes that are nicely broken in before you go. i'd start walking jogging a few miles a day to prepare. you'll enjoy it more if your fit

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Colm Tobin also wrote a book about it called the sign of the cross
    1st chapter on this link
    http://www.colmtoibin.com/books/nonfiction/signOfTheCross/content/CTSC03.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭donegalboy

Hi all,
    Im thinking of a last minute trip to Northern Spain to walk part of the famous Camino pilgrimage route.
    Any tips ie would it be too warm this time of year etc and do you have to book accommodation along the way before hand??
    Any other tips would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Hi, my Pop cycledit last year, he had a great time, said there was loads of cheap/basic accom along the route, no need to book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Hola,

I'm doing the Camino del Norte in June...I was wondering has anyone here done this, and what is the route like. I've done a small portion of the Camino Francais route last June...

Any info would be great...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭paddyblue

I travelled from Bilbao to Saniago last Sept along the north coast (think it's just above the 'North Way'. Went mostly by 'FEVE' the local train, with stops in a few towns & cities along the way. I can't help you if you are looking for pilgrim 'tips' but if you want some info on the various towns/etc then I may be able to help....

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

hi there, sorry if this has been asked before but im thinking of doing the camino this summer but i dont know where to start looking or what route to take. any advice is very welcomed

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I know that there was an advert in the Irish independent for the past while. Don't have it on me. Maybe Joe Walsh tours or somebody would organise something like that. I know people wjo have done it, starting from Lugo (Northern point of Galicia, same province as Santiago de Compostela), Lisbon and Soria (Centrish Spain)

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rive Gauche

It's something I'd really like to do too but it's a few years away for me right now. John Brierley has written some great books on the routes you can take, check out www.thebookdepository.co.uk to find them. That's as far as I've got for now, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

Hey... this is a pretty good forum: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/

apart from that briefly ya can start and finish it whereever you want, though the tradional place to start is in St Jean Pied de Port... fly to biarritz and then 3 hour train....

pampolona and burgos are also good place to begin, but the pyrnees is the toughest albeit nicest place. Apart from that I'd say avoid teh tours... why pay extra money and tie yourself down.... and if your doing it on your own don't fret...most people start on their own and make friends along theway...

buen camino...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

hi passingthough, lucky you if you have the time, takes about a month from st jean peid de port, only had 7 days so bought john brierley guide which was excellent and walked from sarria, wonderful experience, went back last year and di the camino portegues only had 6 days this time, nice but preferred the camino francis, met some colourful characters. great experience with very little expense.you wont be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭laoise09

hi there. i did the last section of the camino last year - sarria to santiago. i did it through an organisation called one foot abroad. they booked hotels and arranged for bags to be moved each day. this year i'm doing from St Jean de Pied de Port to Logrono on the Frances way but I'm doing it solo and will stay in albergues along the way. its a great experience and you meet great people along the way. i wld highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pangeran

Hi there

I looked into doing it in June but had too much going on in work so might wait until September myself.
    One thing to note that from what i gather and read end of June to end of August are the busiest months and may find it very difficult to secure a bed in a hostel. I dont think you can reserve a bed, it's based on a first come first served basis.
    This year is a holy year for the camino so i've read to expect 3 times the number of walkers. I hate crowds so wouldn't enjoy the summer months.....wished i had organised going in April/May....alas
    My friend is returning from the camino at the weekend and all reports are she loved it, she walked from Burgos i think.

good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Walked from St Jean PP to Santiago two years, wonderful experience. There is no need to look at guided tours from travel agents and whatnot, just get yourself over there and start walking. As other posters have stated, this year being a Holy Year (ie St James's Day, 25 July falls on a Sunday) numbers double (at least) especially around the final 100km and especially in the summer so be warned, it will be very busy. I walked in September, it's quite a popular month too.

The message board mentioned above http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board
    is the best one I've come across. There are loads of online resources out there. Had the Brierly book with me, was very accurate and informative though with all the markings and fellow walkers it would be hard to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm going on the 10th July, starting from Sarria on the Camino Frances. I'm a solo female traveller so the crowds (which I normally don't like) shouldn't bother me too much. I think these last 100km are the most crowded, but that just means more people to get chatting to! I'm hoping to do the full Camino Frances from Saint-Jean Pied-de-Port next year, this year's just dipping my toe in the water!

I'm going with a Spanish company http://awayfromthecrowds.com/ who pre book acccomodation in hostels/ pensions for me but other than that I'm self guided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 StripeySocks

Aglomerado - How did you get along on the Camino? Would you recommend the experience / the company you travelled with? I'm also thinking of a self-guided walk on the same section of the Camino.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Hi Stripy socks, sorry, I only just saw this!

I would definitely recommend the company I went with, the accomodation they organised was excellent, baths in some of the rooms which was great for sore feet! Luggage transfers organised between hostels too so all I needed to take with me on a daily basis was very little, water, rain gear (needed once only), some food etc.

People are very friendly and it's hard to feel lonely on the trip. I didn't think it was too crowded, it was just right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 StripeySocks

Thanks for the recommendation Aglomerado - I hope to go out and do the last 100km next month (or else I'll have to wait until next year!).

Advertisement