Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camino de Santiago queries, info ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Steros37

Hi there,
    new poster, so apologies,etc. My wife and I are hoping to do the Camino de Santiago this year(OK, part of the Camino) and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a good place to start from, maybe half to two-thirds of the way along. We could probably cope with a week or ten days walking, so any info(nearest airports, etc.) would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Steros37 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    new poster, so apologies,etc. My wife and I are hoping to do the Camino de Santiago this year(OK, part of the Camino) and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on a good place to start from, maybe half to two-thirds of the way along. We could probably cope with a week or ten days walking, so any info(nearest airports, etc.) would be appreciated.

Coincidence, this was just included in Fionn Davenports circular on newstalk. Look on the Newstalk/George hook site and you'll find some info.

newbie! wrote: »
    Coincidence, this was just included in Fionn Davenports circular on newstalk. Look on the Newstalk/George hook site and you'll find some info.

Thanks, Newbie, I'll check that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Hey Steros,
    I did the very last stage ( Sarria - Santiago, 116km) last summer. This is the minimum you need to do to get the Compostela at the end if you want it.

It takes just under a week.

I flew to Santiago from Dublin with Aer Lingus and took a bus to Sarria - I had to change in Lugo as it was a Saturday and there were no direct buses to Sarria, but if you go midweek (Aer Lingus also fly ex Dublin on Wednesdays I think) you can get a direct bus (Freire are the company).

Excellent trip, would do it again!

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Wanderer16

Hey there,
    My partner & I are also hoping to do it this year from France. We've spoken to a few people and they have recommended May/June or September as good months. The following link seems very informative: http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Hey Steros,
    I did the very last stage ( Sarria - Santiago, 116km) last summer. This is the minimum you need to do to get the Compostela at the end if you want it.

It takes just under a week.

I flew to Santiago from Dublin with Aer Lingus and took a bus to Sarria - I had to change in Lugo as it was a Saturday and there were no direct buses to Sarria, but if you go midweek (Aer Lingus also fly ex Dublin on Wednesdays I think) you can get a direct bus (Freire are the company).

Excellent trip, would do it again!

Hope this helps!

Thanks very much, bud. That's most likely the way we'll go.

Wanderer16 wrote: »
    Hey there,
    My partner & I are also hoping to do it this year from France. We've spoken to a few people and they have recommended May/June or September as good months. The following link seems very informative: http://www.caminodesantiago.me.uk/

Thanks for the link, and see above.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

We have done 3 years @ 1 week @ a time on the Camino, so we reckon we have 2 more to do!! The 1st stage was very tough over the mountains but after that it was really beautiful. Maybe if you flew into Bilbao and got the bus to Pamplona and walked for a week through the vinyards and tiny villages, you would get the real feel of the Camino, as opposed to the last section that everybody does to qualify for the certificate. If you are doing it with backpacks and hostels, dont carry any more than 7-8kg as it makes it a penance rather than a liberating experience! Make time to see all the little churches along the way but still enjoy the craic in the evening as you soak your feet and sup a beer or the local Rioja wine.
    Go for it!!
    Enjoy, and ask for more advice if you need to.:D
    ooops, forgot to say-mid September best time to go, not too wet, not too hot, not too many!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Walked to Santiago in 2008 from St Jean Pied de Port. Fantastic experience. It's a pity you haven't got time to walk for longer. As above posters have indicated your decision is not so much where to start to get to Santiago in 7/10 days but whether you want to make Santiago this year or would rather do a week of walking at the "start" of the camino and continue on when you have more time int he future.

This board
    http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/
    is an excellent resource and a search of it will probably yield the answer to whatever questions you have.

little ma wrote: »
    We have done 3 years @ 1 week @ a time on the Camino, so we reckon we have 2 more to do!! The 1st stage was very tough over the mountains but after that it was really beautiful. Maybe if you flew into Bilbao and got the bus to Pamplona and walked for a week through the vinyards and tiny villages, you would get the real feel of the Camino, as opposed to the last section that everybody does to qualify for the certificate. If you are doing it with backpacks and hostels, dont carry any more than 7-8kg as it makes it a penance rather than a liberating experience! Make time to see all the little churches along the way but still enjoy the craic in the evening as you soak your feet and sup a beer or the local Rioja wine.
    Go for it!!
    Enjoy, and ask for more advice if you need to.:D
    ooops, forgot to say-mid September best time to go, not too wet, not too hot, not too many!!!

To be honest, the 'passport' isn't that important to me. I am more interested in the experience and sharing it with my wife. We both agree yours is the best idea so far. Thanks very much.

• Advertisement

Walked to Santiago in 2008 from St Jean Pied de Port. Fantastic experience. It's a pity you haven't got time to walk for longer. As above posters have indicated your decision is not so much where to start to get to Santiago in 7/10 days but whether you want to make Santiago this year or would rather do a week of walking at the "start" of the camino and continue on when you have more time int he future.

This board
    http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/
    is an excellent resource and a search of it will probably yield the answer to whatever questions you have.

Once again, you mention the same website. I guess that's the one to start with. Thanks for the info.

Different message board, the forum on the link I gave has a lot more info I think.

The passport ("credencial") is essential, by the way, if you want to stay in official hostels on the way. Whether you collect the 100km+ certificate in Santiago is up to you (though you might as well).

I too walked in September, might not be as busy as July/August but there are still many pilgrims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 heskey

I did the caminoportugese from Porto to Santiago last year. Its way more relaxed with loads of beds in the hostels so your never in a panic. John brierley's guide book was great too. It takes about ten days from Porto and its very well waymarked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi,

I would like to the walk this year but am undecided as to when would be the best time to go (quitest and not to hot) and whether I should walk it on my own or as part of a package with these guys. http://caminoways.com/. They have a 10% discount if you book before the end of February. Also in your honest opion which would be the best route to take (scenary wise). I don't mind how hard or difficult the terrain or oute is to walk:D

There is absolutely no need to book a package, just get out there and start walking. I walked alone, as did many friends on other occasions, and it's a great way to do it. You will have no problem hooking up with people along the way or you can do your own tihng, you are your own boss, that's the best thing. You stop when and where you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

I did one week of it starting at St. Jean Pied du Port last year in July. It was a superb experience and I'd highly recommend it. The route we did was quite scenic and the start was mountainous which i liked. We had a group going but you could easily do it on your own too. It's quite easy to get chatting to others along the way. People of all ages do it. The sense of achievement is amazing. I'd recommend bring as little as possible with you (around 7/8 kg before water). Make sure to get one of those water pouch things with the tube coming out of it. Try and start early in the morning to avoid the afternoon heat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johny12345

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to the walk this year but am undecided as to when would be the best time to go (quitest and not to hot) and whether I should walk it on my own or as part of a package with these guys. http://caminoways.com/. They have a 10% discount if you book before the end of February. Also in your honest opion which would be the best route to take (scenary wise). I don't mind how hard or difficult the terrain or oute is to walk:D

Hi Billyhead,

I traveled with CaminoWays last year, they were very good, good customer care and attention to details on teh ground. I know this is not the hard way. But I got a bed everynight (en-suite), and my luggage transfered. There is a lot of fuss about doing it the right way... But you know on the Camino there is no Right way (most of us are not penitent anymore :)) we do it our way! Enjoy. Johny:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Potatofarl

Paulj wrote: »
    I did one week of it starting at St. Jean Pied du Port last year in July. It was a superb experience and I'd highly recommend it. The route we did was quite scenic and the start was mountainous which i liked. We had a group going but you could easily do it on your own too. It's quite easy to get chatting to others along the way. People of all ages do it. The sense of achievement is amazing. I'd recommend bring as little as possible with you (around 7/8 kg before water). Make sure to get one of those water pouch things with the tube coming out of it. Try and start early in the morning to avoid the afternoon heat. :)

Hi Paulj,

Hoping to walk in April starting at St Jean Pied du Port. Did you walk the full route or just part? I can commit about 5-7 days walking, if I start at St. Jean Pied du Port how far do you think I would get? Not sure what average km/day would be. Thanks :)

Potatofarl wrote: »
    Hi Paulj,

Hoping to walk in April starting at St Jean Pied du Port. Did you walk the full route or just part? I can commit about 5-7 days walking, if I start at St. Jean Pied du Port how far do you think I would get? Not sure what average km/day would be. Thanks :)

I think in seven days the furthest you would get would be Logroño (good city to finish in with good trasnport links and a great tapas scene!). A nice target but you might only get as far as Los Arcos or Estella. Just take it as you go,. Km/day is up to you but I would say most people average 25 but it depends on your fitness/age/experience. Some people break the first leg (SJPP-Roncesvalles) by stopping at Orisson.

Good summary here
    http://www.santiago-compostela.net/frances/index_cf_en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

Anyone who has walked it think budget of 18-22 euro per day is possible for a 27day approx camino? Keep in mind broke student, fairly handy at skimping, don't need luxury ( barre a cofee and a beer, singular!). Is the stopover accomodation now bit more commercial since so many 'pilgrims'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

<quote>
    Hi Paulj,

Hoping to walk in April starting at St Jean Pied du Port. Did you walk the full route or just part? I can commit about 5-7 days walking, if I start at St. Jean Pied du Port how far do you think I would get? Not sure what average km/day would be. Thanks
    </quote>

Ya we made it to Logrono. That was 7 days walking and then got a bus back to San Sebastion from there for our flight home. Some of the days towards the end were quite long though. Towards the end of that route you can get local buses between the towns so if your stuck for your flight you could always take the local bus to Logrono to make it back for your flight.

@Pablo_ : our daily spend was usually around 6euro for the hostel and then about 9euro for a nice 3 course meal out. That usually included wine too! That was from a 'Pilgrim menu' by the way which you get at many places along the route. The only other expense i suppose then is some breaky and a sandwich for your lunch. So ya i reckon you'd be looking at 22euro per day to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

thanks paulj, 15euro is very tight so decided 22 realistic ... sounds like ye done well for 22/day

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Potatofarl

The passport ("credencial") is essential, by the way, if you want to stay in official hostels on the way. Whether you collect the 100km+ certificate in Santiago is up to you (though you might as well).

Can you get the passport in SJPP if starting from there? Does this get stamped to prove you have walked? I will probably only get as far as Logrono, can you only get the certificate if you get to Santiago? thats a pity! Wish I could dedicate enough time to go all the way from SJPP to Santiago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bagsy

Hi,

I was thinking of doing the above this summer starting in Biarritz if possible.
    Just wondering has anyone any advice on how best to complete it from there and if it is possible to cycle it the whole way to the end. Also what is the story woth accomodation and getting a pilgrims pass etc.

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

bagsy wrote: »
    Hi,

I was thinking of doing the above this summer starting in Biarritz if possible.
    Just wondering has anyone any advice on how best to complete it from there and if it is possible to cycle it the whole way to the end. Also what is the story woth accomodation and getting a pilgrims pass etc.

Cheers

Hello bagsy, I have done the Camino de Santiago ( Camino Frances) on foot from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. I would not reccommend cycling as many of the hostels do not accept cyclists until 19.00. All of the cycling pilgims that I met were Spanish males, who would have had their own bikes. At the moment, I am in the process of starting a new thread on the travel review section of this forum, in which I will give an introduction to the Camino and a detailed account of my pilgrimage. Watch out for it!

The Camino de Santiago (The Way of St. James) is a long distance walking route that follows an ancient pilgrim’s way across northern Spain. The final goal of pilgrims is the city of Santiago de Compostela in Galicia, north-western Spain where the remains of St. James are buried. I have known about the Camino de Santiago for some time, but coming across a Camino guide in a bookshop in Limerick aroused my interest in it. The most popular route is the Camino Francés – the French Way, which begins at St Jean Pied de Port on the French side of the Pyrenees. The Camino Francés is 798 kms or 496 miles long. It can be walked in 33 days or it can be done over a lifetime. Pilgrims doing the Camino can stay in special pilgrims hostels along the way.
    People do the Camino de Santiago for many different reasons, both spiritual and otherwise. For me personally, my main reason for doing it is to immerse myself in the history and culture of Spain and to meet interesting people on the way. The fact that one can stay overnight in special pilgrims hostels at a very reasonable cost was also a factor in my decision to give it a try. I like the idea of rambling through the Spanish countryside from village to village, staying in hostels and meeting other people who are doing the same thing.
    In order to stay in the pilgrims hostels, one needs to have a credencial or ‘pilgrim’s passport’. They are available at the start of the Camino or from local societies that promote the Camino. I got my credencial from The Society of St. James in Dublin. At each hostel, the passport is stamped and when the pilgrim finally reaches Santiago de Compostela, he or she is entitled to receive a certificate that proves that they have done the Camino de Santiago. Pilgrims using the pilgrim’s hostels have to be on foot or travelling by bicycle or on horseback. They do not cater for motorised pilgrims and they do not take advance bookings.

History

The first recorded pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela took place in 950 AD. In the middle Ages, it was the 3rd most popular pilgrimage in the Christian World after Jerusalem and Rome. In order to cater for the pilgrims, a network of pilgrim’s hospices was established by religious orders along the route of the Camino. By the 1960s, the number of pilgrims doing the Camino was down to a trickle. In the 1970s, some academics did a project which involved exploring the route of the Camino and interviewing older people about the traditions and folklore associated with it. Tourism heads then got together and started to promote the Camino again as a way of getting pilgrims and tourists to visit parts of Spain that rarely saw any visitors. It was proclaimed the first European Cultural Itinerary in 1987. The Camino de Santiago was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1993. Nowadays, up to 200,000 pilgrims per year are completing the Camino. Many of the medieval hospices have been restored and reopened as albergues or pilgrims hostels. The revival of the Camino de Santiago has brought prosperity to some of the poorest parts of Spain with many abandoned or semi-derelict villages enjoying a new lease of life as hostels, restaurants and shops have opened up to cater for the pilgrims. There are over 1800 buildings of architectural and historic interest on the Camino and it is a celebration of Spanish culture and heritage.

Guidebook

I own my interest in the Camino de Santiago to an excellent publication called A Pilgrims Guide to the Camino de Santiago by John Brierley. It is published by Findhorn Press, Forres, Scotland and is described as an ‘A Practical and Mystical Manual for the Modern Day Pilgrim.’ It is a compact full colour guide that has all the information that a person doing the camino would need including a packing list, maps of each stage of the Camino, town plans, details of the hostels and other accommodation on route, where to eat and all sorts of practical advice. After reading this guide, I was hooked on the Camino. No other guide books or maps are needed only this one. There are many websites on the Camino de Santiago, the most comprehensive being the multi-lingual www.mundicamino.com.

Preparation

Doing the Camino de Santiago needed more advance preparation than any of my previous trips. I needed to buy some extra items such as a new pair of Gore-Tex walking boots, a light weight sleeping bag, water-proof rucksack cover, walking socks and other specialised trekking accessories. One’s equipment needs to be lightweight and compact. I became a regular customer at the two outdoor shops in Ennis – All Seasons and Venture Out. In the weeks prior to my departure, I got in a lot of walking practise, including some walks carrying my fully loaded rucksack.
    The scallop shell as illustrated on the cover has been the symbol of the Camino since medieval times. Pilgrims still carry the shell on their rucksacks in order to identify themselves as pilgrims on the road to Santiago de Compostela.
    As well as reading my guide book from cover to cover, I also spent many hours surfing the Internet, where I found out a lot about the Camino from the different web sites, forums and blogs. It was fascinating to read the experiences of the pilgrims and to see the photos of the different places that they passed through.
    As regards my flights to and from France, I was lucky to get a really low fare from Ryanair on their Shannon/Biarritz route - €12 return! The only drawback is that the flight to Biarritz departs from Shannon at 06.40, so I had to order a taxi to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bagsy

Cheers Clareboy,ill look out for that so!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Marcus_Crassus

Hmm, I was wondering if anyone would talk about this. It's a strange coincidence that I am thinking about embarking on this journey myself.

Thanks for this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Hamilton777

Hi,

Very interesting article.

I've walked the Camino de Santiago many times, and loved it.

Will be headiing back out this summer to walk the Via de laPlata route to Santiago.

Check out www.spanishsteps.eu for loads of helpful info about the walks.

• Advertisement

Glad to read that you found my Camino threads of interest. The best of luck on your Via de La Plata Camino this summer. Looking forward to reading about your experiences - Buen Camino!

Advertisement