Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camino de Santiago queries, info ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

edeldonlon wrote: »
    I walked it last summer. I started in July. There is a lot of Irish and Germans on the route. I had the most amazing time. I made some great friends and only lost one toe nail!

I did 34 days straight of walking with no rest days. The shortest day being 16km and the longest being 43km.

When you thinking about doing it?

Thanks for the reply!

Maybe sometime this year, pretty vague I know lol but ive been reading up on the more preferred months to go based on conditions etc, so still have to figure out that. Impressive walking indeed, fair play.

Did you do it alone or with friends? How is the accomodation along the way, or did you tent it?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

I stayed in the alburgue all along the route. I walked it during the busy months and always got a bed. You dont need a tent. You will just end up leaving it on route. I walked alone but met so many people along the way that I was never really alone.

I would advise you to start in St Jean Pied de Port, there was a real community of walkers who started there. My advice would be to by a good pair of walking boots and a back pack.

I wrote a blog for the first 20 days http://edelcamino.blogspot.com/ if you want a look and this is a video that an irish guy that walked at the same time as me made

Just book a flight and go for it. I was thinking about doing the camino for 3 years and would get scared off with all the comments on the forums. Dont bother reading them too much as most of them are talking rubbish. Any more questions just shout.

Buen Camino!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I am hoping to do the Camino this year too, probably in September. I am constrained time wise though so I am undecided whether to walk sections for a week a time over a number of years or try to cycle the week over a little over a week. At the moment I am considering walking maybe about 200km of the route starting at Jean Pied de Port. Flying into Biarratz and bus to Jean seems to be the best option.

I would be interested in talking to anyone who has done it or is thinking of doing it this year.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

The debate between cycling or walking depends on what you want to experience. The people on bikes do not seem to meet the same people on route as people can cycle huge differences in one day but you will arrive in Santiago on one trip.

There are lots of people who do the camino in sections but it depends on how much of your holidays you want to devote.

I would advise flying into Biarratz and from the airport you can take a local bus to the station in Bayonne, the information desk at the airport will tell you the number (approx 35 mins). You will be able to take the train from there to St Jean. You can book your ticket on http://www.sncf.co.uk/

I stayed in a great hostel in St Jean. I would advise you to book ahead and also pay for the group dinner as it was a great way to start the camino. http://www.espritduchemin.org/EC/LEsprit_du_Chemin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nice blog! Enjoyed reading it.

How long did it take you from St Jean Pied De Port? Im still unsure whether to do it for a month or shorter.

Thats good about the alburge, good to know there should be room there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

I am walking the camino de santiago in june.As i only have one weeks holidays!
    Im walking from sarria to santiago.
    What type of shoes or boots do i need?
    do i need walking poles?
    do i take bottles of water or i have been told the water pouches that you put in your back pack and have a tube attached are a great idea as they can hold 2 liters of water.
    Any nuggets of info would be great as its my first time doing anything like this and really aint got a clue!!
    Thanks.

Elainee, I would recommend that you buy a good pair of boots. I bought some salomons and it was a great investment as my feet were fine when walking. I would also get some good socks. I had sock liners and then thicker ones on.

I would advise that you bring two walking poles as 30% of your weight is put on the poles when walking. It will feel strange at first walking with them first but within 20km you could not have walked without them.

I think a water bag is the way to go as you need to drink lots of water when walking. Some extras to bring would be some deep heat, safety pins, travel towel, P20 once a day suntan lotion, a bum bag type thing where you can keep your camera etc as you wont want to put down you back pack every time you want to take a picture.

Elainee, when are thinking about walking it? Are you going to carry your pack or get it sent on day by day?

Great thanks for info.we are going 1st week in june,yes we r getting luggage transferred every morning but will prob also bring small back pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

In relation to the trek should you book accomodation in advance or just turn up at hostels if say you did it in March off season. Also i was thinking of doing the distance from Lyon to Santiago. I am very fit so how many days would I cover this in do you reckon and would it be advisable to not book the flights from Santiago to Dublin until I get thier in case i run over my scheduled Itinary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭lc180

I am on the mailing list for 53 Degrees North (Adventure supplies shop) and they sent me an email today. Its seems they offer free talks/advice sessions instore, and this month the guest speaker is discussing Camino. I don't know where you live but this might be worthwhile if you are local to the area.

Check out 53degreesnorth.ie if you are interested in more info.
    FREE CAMINO TALKS
    Due to the popularity and demand of our last Camino Talk we are delighted to host another free Camino talk in our Carrickmines Store on Wednesday March 7th. The talk kicks off at 6.45pm and Roland Monsegu from Camino Ways will be the main speaker. During this talk Roland will focus on the French Way and a general overview of The Camino de Santiago. Roland's talks always promise to be fun and informative. The floor will be open to all questions. The talk itself lasts around 40 minutes and afterwards experienced staff members from 53 Degrees North will be on hand to take you through the required clothing and equipment for such a trip.

To secure a seat please email info@53degreesnorth.ie with your name and the amount of seats you wish to reserve. Looking forward to seeing you there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

billyhead wrote: »
    In relation to the trek should you book accomodation in advance or just turn up at hostels if say you did it in March off season. Also i was thinking of doing the distance from Lyon to Santiago. I am very fit so how many days would I cover this in do you reckon and would it be advisable to not book the flights from Santiago to Dublin until I get thier in case i run over my scheduled Itinary

You can't book the auberges (hostels) in advance, they're first come first served - which is why people get up and head off early.

I'm not sure what the distance from Lyon to Santiago is, but if you're very fit you should be able to manage 40k a day (that's what the very fit guys do anyway, and I presume you're a man).

Book the flight home regardless I would think, they shoot up like mad as the summer comes in. Even a one way ticket from Santiago home could cost a fortune.

If you're really feeling fit you should start from St James' Gate and do the Irish route!

Elainee, I would recommend that you buy a good pair of boots. I bought some salomons and it was a great investment as my feet were fine when walking. I would also get some good socks. I had sock liners and then thicker ones on.

I would advise that you bring two walking poles as 30% of your weight is put on the poles when walking. It will feel strange at first walking with them first but within 20km you could not have walked without them.

I think a water bag is the way to go as you need to drink lots of water when walking. Some extras to bring would be some deep heat, safety pins, travel towel, P20 once a day suntan lotion, a bum bag type thing where you can keep your camera etc as you wont want to put down you back pack every time you want to take a picture.

Elainee, when are thinking about walking it? Are you going to carry your pack or get it sent on day by day?

I would second all of this. You will need to carry at least 2 litres of water a day and some food. On the isolated parts of the route there is nowhere to have lunch. And it can be quite exposed so bring a hat. Also, loads and loads of Compeed for the blisters :D

And you will definitely need the poles, they are a life saver coming downhill!

I think 40km a day is a bit much and when I walked last summer the majority of people walked 25-29km a day. From Leon to Santiago is 284km so about 10 days would be enough. I had lots of time so i did it is 14 days as I had people flying to Santiago to meet me.

There is a great map book for the camino printed by michelin, its about €7 and its worth every penny and very light.

Also the only problem in March might be that some of the hostels might be closed as it is not a very busy time to walk.

I think 40km a day is a bit much and when I walked last summer the majority of people walked 25-29km a day. From Leon to Santiago is 284km so about 10 days would be enough. I had lots of time so i did it is 14 days as I had people flying to Santiago to meet me.

There is a great map book for the camino printed by michelin, its about €7 and its worth every penny and very light.

Also the only problem in March might be that some of the hostels might be closed as it is not a very busy time to walk.

Thanks Edeldonlon for the info. Say say I was to leave on the Sunday should I book my return flight to Dublin from Santiago on the Wednesday week? Also I presumed you found accomodation along the way and did not book this in advance, and did you walk the full distance from Leon to Santiago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

If you're really feeling fit you should start from St James' Gate and do the Irish route!
    have you any details on this, it sounds brilliant.
    It's track most of the way OP so good walking shoes as opposed to boots might do, again I'd recommend Salomon.

lc180 wrote: »
    I am on the mailing list for 53 Degrees North (Adventure supplies shop) and they sent me an email today. Its seems they offer free talks/advice sessions instore, and this month the guest speaker is discussing Camino. I don't know where you live but this might be worthwhile if you are local to the area.

Check out 53degreesnorth.ie if you are interested in more info.

Thanks a mill! I emailed them to see will there be one in cork shop.

I couldn't walk 40k a day either, not in a blue moon. The poster I was responding to (billyhead) said they were very fit though and the few guys walking alone we met (who were all bombing it) were walking about 40k a day. Personally I don't think that would be a whole load of fun though, and it leaves no contingency for injuries etc. And you're right about the hostels being closed. If you walked 40k and discovered that your intended hostel was shut and you had to walk another 5k to the next one, I don't think you'd be in great form by the time you got there...

Gillo, I don't know much about the 'Irish' route, I just know that you're supposed to start in St James' Gate, but in practice, I don't know if anyone actually does!

The furthest anyone we met had walked was from Brittany, and we met him a few days out of Pamplona. Had taken him 6 weeks I think to get that far and he was walking to Finisterre. Nice guy, but clearly mad :pac:

I dont know how to quote on this but billy head I walked from St Jean Pied de Port in France but from Leon this is what I did

Leon - Villadangos del Paramo = 22km
    Villadangos del Paramo - Astorga = 28Km
    Astorga - Rabanal del Camino = 20km
    Rabanal del Camino - Molinseca = 24.5km
    Molinseca - Cacbelos = 24km
    Cacbelos- Vega de Valcarce = 26km
    Vega de Valcarce - O Cebreiro = 12km
    O Cebreiro - Triacastela = 21km
    Triacastela - Sarria = 22km
    Sarria - Portomarin = 22km
    Portomarin -Palas de rei = 22km
    Palas de Rei - Arzua = 26km
    Arzua - O Pedrouzo = 20km
    O Pedrouzo - Santiago = 20km

I hope this is some help, you can decided how much you want to walk and then go and book your flights!

People get their passports stamps at St James gate and I really think that is all the "Irish Route" is.

I dont know how to quote on this but billy head I walked from St Jean Pied de Port in France but from Leon this is what I did

Leon - Villadangos del Paramo = 22km
    Villadangos del Paramo - Astorga = 28Km
    Astorga - Rabanal del Camino = 20km
    Rabanal del Camino - Molinseca = 24.5km
    Molinseca - Cacbelos = 24km
    Cacbelos- Vega de Valcarce = 26km
    Vega de Valcarce - O Cebreiro = 12km
    O Cebreiro - Triacastela = 21km
    Triacastela - Sarria = 22km
    Sarria - Portomarin = 22km
    Portomarin -Palas de rei = 22km
    Palas de Rei - Arzua = 26km
    Arzua - O Pedrouzo = 20km
    O Pedrouzo - Santiago = 20km

I hope this is some help, you can decided how much you want to walk and then go and book your flights!

People get their passports stamps at St James gate and I really think that is all the "Irish Route" is.

Thanks for that. How much would you have budgeted for each day of the journey for both food and accomodation and did you just bring cash with you?

I am living in the UK at the moment so I just brought 250€ in cash and asked the bank to get it for me in €5 and €10. As you will often eat and drink in groups, be asked to make a donation at the hostel etc so the small notes help.It was also easier to split the money in the back pack

I then took out money in €250 at a time. I would recommend around €30 per day . Mainly broken down like this.

Breakfast - Coffee and toast (€3)
    Break - soft drink or beer (€2)
    Hostel (€10 at max)
    Lunch/dinner - Menu del dia (€10 at max)
    and then beer etc in the evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Coffee & toast for breakfast? Thats not a very fulling breakfast for a days walking, how did you find it?

Seriously thinking of doing this near the end of the year.
    Whats the story with power points in hostels, I'm thinking about charging my phone and camera.

The Spanish peoples idea of breakfast is very limited. I would always have fruits and nuts in my bag that I would carry for snacks.

The power points were never a problem. I had a camera, really old Nokia and a kindle with me and I never had a issue. I took the old Nokia because I didnt want to have to worry about people stealing my phone but nothing of mine ever got stolen in the hostels. There were lots of people with iphone and I even saw some Korean ladies with ipads. In some of the better hostels such as Leon everybody had a point at their bed.

Also in Spain things like compeeds can be expensive so I bought 20 of them on ebay before I left for about €4.

Just remember that the end of the year some of the paths may have snow on them especially in the Basque country.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Hi we're planning to do the Camino in May from Saria, walking about 8/9 days. However we'd like to do a Camino for softees version - walking not more than 23 - 24 Km per day if possible. We are planning to organise it ourselves. Any advice on hotels and organising luggage transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

you need to walk at least 150 km in order to qualify as a pilgrim, which entitles you to a very nice cert at the end and also budget accommodation along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

You can't book the auberges (hostels) in advance, they're first come first served - which is why people get up and head off early.

I'm not sure what the distance from Lyon to Santiago is, but if you're very fit you should be able to manage 40k a day (that's what the very fit guys do anyway, and I presume you're a man).

Book the flight home regardless I would think, they shoot up like mad as the summer comes in. Even a one way ticket from Santiago home could cost a fortune.

whats the Irish route, wicklow way ?

Cathellen, most of the hostels/hotels will be able to arrange the transfer of your bag for €6 each stage per bag. You can book your hotels as you go. Have a look at booking.com and there are loads in Sarria for the first night.

The hostels are lots of fun so you might want to do a night or two in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cathellen

Thanks for all replies. Would we need to bring sleeping bags if we were going to use hostels

You would need a sleeping bag, I got a light weight one from decathlon and it was perfect. Most of the hostels will use disposable sheets and are very clean. Expect to pay €10 or less per night

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

Would anyone be able to recommend a sleeping bag or a hiking bag suitable to do the whole hike?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

can you just turn up any day of the week and buy a pilgrimmage passport in st jean de pied or is it a restrictive process?

cheers

Advertisement