Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camino de Santiago queries, info ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

babsrose wrote: »
    Has anyone done sarria to santiago with camino ways ? between flights and the guided tour it will cost nearly 1000 euro for the week. is this crazy ? as i would be going alone i like the idea of being with a group, but the cost is putting me off

€1000 is very steep IMO.
    You should be able to get a flight for less than €200.
    Accommodation will set you back in the region of €10 to €30 a night (depending on how plush you want to go).
    I spent about €20 a day on food.
    If you're reasonably outgoing you'll meet loads of people along the way.
    Personally I'd feel very restricted by having to stick with a group - a big part of the Camino for me was going at my own pace and experiencing it for myself ....I can't imagine a being able to do that as part of a guided tour.

My advice would be to:
    - get a good guide book (John Brierley is the one most people use)
    - read up on the route using some of the many online resources (I found the the forums on http://www.caminoadventures.com/ very useful)
    - spend the money on good equipment (esp boots and backpack) instead of the guided tour
    - map out your own itinerary, find your own group, make your own interpretation of the camino experience

Buen camino! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 babsrose

thanks for that ! the flights are roughly 180 euro and the guided tour 810 cos im a single. As a woman alone just worried about personal safety on the road thats why i looked into the guided group

thanks for that ! the flights are roughly 180 euro and the guided tour 810 cos im a single. As a woman alone just worried about personal safety on the road thats why i looked into the guided group

I spoke to a good few women doing it alone and none that I met had a bad experience.

I understand your trepidation, but you will meet people in the hostels who you end up walking with ...and even if you are walking alone, the route from Sarria from Santiago is generally pretty busy so there won't be that many times when you are walking alone.

Any chance of getting lost along the road ? im brutal here in Ireland always getting lost ha ha !

Any chance of getting lost along the road ? im brutal here in Ireland always getting lost ha ha !

There is a chance :) ....but it's unlikely you'll go too far off track.
    And besides, from Sarria to Santiago there are usually plenty of people (and lots of yellow arrows) around to set you straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 springhill6

Has anyone done sarria to santiago with camino ways ? between flights and the guided tour it will cost nearly 1000 euro for the week. is this crazy ? as i would be going alone i like the idea of being with a group, but the cost is putting me off

Good advice from stantheman8.
    Babsrose, 2 of my friends , girls, walked May 2012, from Sarria to Santiago, and just booked the flights.
    They then booked a few hotels to stay.
    I had given them a list of reasonable priced hotels to stay, and they booked those hotels directly.
    Prices approximately Eu 40 a night.
    They found the Hotels booked their luggage to next hotel for Eu 3 each time.
    I walked this route 2005 on my own using same method of booking hotels directly.

I have never stayed in Refugios, but I believe it is a big rush every day to check in.
    Why not lie in and enjoy the trip.

Flights from Dublin to Santiago via Aer Lingus are reasonable so far.
    I notice some flights are Eu 55. Book to stay 8 to 10 days.
    Don’t delay, prices rise quickly. Remember Easter is 31 March 2013 this year,
    and this is a very busy time.

I have built up a list of recommended list of accommodation on this route, from personal experience, and from other pilgrim recommendations.
    PM me if you want this list.

Here is an alternative option
    http://www.travelnet.ie/ChannelPages/Caminowalks/caminodesantiago.htm

with guide Michael Grainger
    http://michaelgraingercaminowalking.com/

Also a great forum
    http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/

Thanks for that springhill6 ! I booked the flights got them for 129 return not too bad ! ive booked a hotel in Sarria for the first night and I think Ill take my chances after that ? Should I book a hotel in Santiago for my last night ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Thanks for that springhill6 ! I booked the flights got them for 129 return not too bad ! ive booked a hotel in Sarria for the first night and I think Ill take my chances after that ? Should I book a hotel in Santiago for my last night ?

Most pilgrims spend a few nights in Santiago after completing the Camino, just to relax and see the sights of the city. I would recommend booking a hotel or guesthouse in Santiago before you arrive there. Buen Camino!

For someone preparing for the camino, the Irish Society of the Friends of St James are holding 3 Practical Information Days in Cork, Derry and Dublin.

I used these guys to get the passport but haven't attended one of these sessions, but sounds interesting and you could at least pick up your passport :)

Information on the following.

All Walking Routes
    Expert Information
    Pilgrim passports
    Pilgrim Books
    Members Application Forms
    Tips for Packing
    Talk & Q & A Session

Cork Sat 2nd March 2013
    Time 1pm
    4pm
    Venue Gresham Metropole Hotel
    MacCurtain St
    Cork

Derry Sat 23rd March 2013
    Time 1pm
    4pm
    Venue City Hotel
    Behind Guild Hall
    Derry

Dublin Sat 20th April 2013
    Time Morning Session 11am
    1pm
    &
    Afternoon Session 2pm
    4pm
    Venue St James's Parochial Hall
    St James's Church
    James's St
    Dublin 8

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EimearKelleher

Hi

I hope to do the last stage of the Camino (The French Way) next year with my Dad for his 60th birthday.

I was just wondering if you could give me a rough estimate of the cost? Obviously price varies depending on flights but how much around is it for a week - accomm, food, etc?

And do you book accomm in hostels/hotels as you're on route or pre-book?

Any help would be great as I find the websites all a tad confusing.

Eimear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Hi

I hope to do the last stage of the Camino (The French Way) next year with my Dad for his 60th birthday.

I was just wondering if you could give me a rough estimate of the cost? Obviously price varies depending on flights but how much around is it for a week - accomm, food, etc?

And do you book accomm in hostels/hotels as you're on route or pre-book?

Any help would be great as I find the websites all a tad confusing.

Eimear

I went with AwayfromtheCrowds from Sarria-Santiago in 2010, and can recommend them! They book your accommodation in the towns along the way and transfer your luggage so that you only need to carry a backpack with the things you need during the day. The accommodation I found was of a high standard generally, and all meals were included - including drinks! (I asked for a glass of wine in Sarria, and was given a whole bottle! :D). I found the only expenses I had on the way were coffees, beers, icecreams and the odd punnet of fruit sold by elderly ladies along the path.

I sorted my own transport from Santiago airport to Sarria. During the week I think there is a direct bus service, but I arrived on a Saturday and had to get two buses (change at Lugo.)

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

A blogpost I've written on preparing for the Camino:

http://carrigmanblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/14/preparing-for-the-camino/

Regards,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MotRelyt

Does anyone know the best way to get from the Airport in Santiago de Compostela to Ponferrada where we start our Camino ...could I book before I go or do we just wait till we get there, there are 4 of us travelling together.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

MotRelyt wrote: »
    Does anyone know the best way to get from the Airport in Santiago de Compostela to Ponferrada where we start our Camino ...could I book before I go or do we just wait till we get there, there are 4 of us travelling together.

I dont know that place but when we did and started in Sarria we got into santiago, spent the night, and then went to the bus station the next morning and asked for the place. Theres a really good tourist office in santiago that will point you in the right direction.

Anything you book beforehand will be more expensive. There's no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

Hi
    Bus times can be found on www.alsa.es

Edel

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

FYI , St . James gate in Dublin is an official starting point and you can get you book stamped close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Also which airport are you arriving at, Bilbao, Birratz, San tander?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭ispini1984

Afternoon All,

I am strongly considering going on Stage 8 of the French Way of the Camino.

Have looked up maptravel.ie & caminoways.com and I really like the guided tour idea with caminoways.

Has anyone any experience of travelling over with either?

Also, apart from walking boots, light gear, rain gear, walking stick, light backpack, anything I am missing that could be essential?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There was a big thread about it here a while ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056218392&page=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

going to do this in 2014. April - May.

the French way from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago.
    not sure how long it will take, or whether I will camp along the way.

• Advertisement

For me one of the best parts was staying in the hostels. This is really where most meet and talk in the evenings. A lot of people don't chat when they are walking. Hope this helps and good luck !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    going to do this in 2014. April - May.

the French way from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago.
    not sure how long it will take, or whether I will camp along the way.

You have picked a good time of the year to do the Camino. As regards the amount of time it will take - that all depends on how many kilometers per day you are prepared to walk. Many people do the French Way in 5 weeks. It took me about 6 weeks and that included skipping a number of stages and occasionally using public transport.

I would not recommend camping. First of all, during April, it can get quite cold at night on the Meseta. You will also miss the wonderful spirit of camaraderie that exists among the pilgrims in the albergues. To really enjoy the walk, the it is important to travel light. Buen Camino!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hey all
    Hoping to do the above at Easter. Looking to walk from St Jean to Legrono (around 7 days walking I think). We are thinking of flying into Bordeaux with AerLingus. How would we get from Bordeaux to St Jean. I believe train/bus transport could be infrequent. We would then need to bus it back to Bordeaux or maybe go to Bilbao or some place like that. Looked into going with one of the tour companies but they are quite expensive and you would be staying in hotels instead of the alburgues/hostels along the route. Issues for us are the bus transfers and getting our bags transferred. Not sure if it is a good idea to be hauling a bag along the route.
    What would people suggest?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Fly with Ryanair to Biarritz & can bike, bus, taxi or train to St Jean (Don't fly on a Sunday).

From Logrono get bus/train to Santiago & fly home Aer Lingus or back to Biarritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Re trains from Bordeaux to St Jean Pied de Port, do you need to book in advance or can you just book it on the day. Would there be space? Would it be dearer?
    Is seat61 and raileurope the sites to view timetables and/or book the train?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Clareboy wrote: »
    You have picked a good time of the year to do the Camino. As regards the amount of time it will take - that all depends on how many kilometers per day you are prepared to walk. Many people do the French Way in 5 weeks. It took me about 6 weeks and that included skipping a number of stages and occasionally using public transport.

I would not recommend camping. First of all, during April, it can get quite cold at night on the Meseta. You will also miss the wonderful spirit of camaraderie that exists among the pilgrims in the albergues. To really enjoy the walk, the it is important to travel light. Buen Camino!

yeah, but I'm a stubborn fecker.

I understand what you are saying in terms of the albergues.
    I'd like to mix it up. I've camped in sub zero temps before.
    I thought the average length was 30 days? I better be careful booking flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Hi, I would be very grateful for advice.... hubbie and me, mid 30's hoping to do part of the Camino middle of June, a short stint ...5-6 days and maybe stretch it out ... I was looking at the Sarria to Santiago de Compostela route.... Hubbie is healthy& fit due to sport, I am not very fit yet-but am intending to get back being fully fit - will prepare for this .... we also wish to try a different picturesque adventure/holiday and meet new people, see nice rural villages ...
    so could you please offer any advice ... where to fly from ... Shannon is our nearest airport ideally... where to fly into/out of ...trains..... handy hints please!!!
    I see there are many tour operators.... who would you recommend?
    Should we book it independently? Should we pre book our accommodation. We don't want to fleeced...we have middle of the road budget only!
    We just wish to take our time and enjoy the journey as well as reaching our destination ! Any help please.... cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Doing it myself in May. Flying Dublin-Santiago and back a week later. Will get the bus to Sarria and walk back then.

Most sites state there's no need for tour operators, just follow the road. There is plenty of accommodation either in the hostels or pensions or hotels. You can book ahead from the town you stay in beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 31 springhill6

Hi, I would be very grateful for advice.... hubbie and me, mid 30's hoping to do part of the Camino middle of June, a short stint ...5-6 days and maybe stretch it out ... I was looking at the Sarria to Santiago de Compostela route.... Hubbie is healthy& fit due to sport, I am not very fit yet-but am intending to get back being fully fit - will prepare for this .... we also wish to try a different picturesque adventure/holiday and meet new people, see nice rural villages ...
    so could you please offer any advice ... where to fly from ... Shannon is our nearest airport ideally... where to fly into/out of ...trains..... handy hints please!!!
    Should we book it independently? Should we pre book our accommodation. We don't want to fleeced...we have middle of the road budget only!
    We just wish to take our time and enjoy the journey as well as reaching our destination ! Any help please.... cheers.

Lennyloulou, have a great time, heres a few links that might help.

Carrigman John Finn completed on his own Sept 2013 and hopes to repeat 2014,
    Sarria to Santiago, he even lists the accommodation he stayed.

http://carrigmanblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/14/preparing-for-the-camino/

Travelnet Cork
    http://www.travelnet.ie/walkingholidays/walking-and-cycling-holidays.aspx

Michael Grainger - guide for Travel Net
    http://www.michaelgraingercaminowalking.com/booking-information/

Boards discussion on Camino - great thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056218392

Caminoways
    http://www.caminoways.com/?gclid=CNTMqp-FhrwCFfMPtAodD0wA2g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Sea nymph

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/

This is a forum where every query re the Camino is answered. Are you doing the Camino independently ? Bringing a rucksack or having your luggage sent forward? Do you prefer hostels or hotels? The pilgrim way is the hostel and there's a pilgrim menu in all the villages/ towns on route average 10€ for 3 courses and a glass of wine. If you do the hostel way, max per day spend is 25€ One basic tip use 1000 mile socks- save feet from bad blisters. Bring Compeed. wear your boots / shoes in... Start now:-)
    It's a great way to holiday. Consider the start of the Camino from st Jean Pied de Port to Estella very scenic over the Pyrenees . Fly Ryanair to Biarritz/Bayonne.
    . Lots of guides available ... John Brierlys one has lots of maps and info. Lots of websites give maps and hostel info. Hope you've a Buen Camino

Advertisement