Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto Ink.....

Options
  • 24-03-2011 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

I know that this is a piece of art and isn't actually a 'real thing'. But I do wonder if it could be. And if it was would you trust a robot to ink you? Raises a lot of interesting questions. I mean a robot would be perfect and wouldn't fatigue and would stick to the design that you wanted. But then where's the human touch and their mark on the piece?
    Auto Ink
    Posted by Kevin on March 24th, 2011

People have been freaking out about the The Auto Ink project by Chris Eckert ever since this video below was posted. Before you freak out like everyone else is – take a second to read this excerpt from Chris’ blog:

I also had a funny conversation with a film crew for a German television network. The were planning to drive up from LA to film a segment on me and Auto Ink until they discovered it was an artwork. Apparently, they were expecting to find me in a warehouse surrounded by a couple thousand tattoo vending machines. The fact that I was an artist caught them completely off guard. Once they figured that out, they recalled the film crew. And here’s where it gets really funny to me – they aren’t the only ones confused about this. I’ve received numerous angry comments and email condemning me for trying to replace tattoo artists. Apparently, the whole comment on religion got lost somewhere. I guess it’s okay for me to critique basic theological beliefs but we’re drawing the line at tattoo artists.

EDIT: Also I know the art in the video is done with a ballpoint pen! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Very interesting, I hadn't heard of Auto Ink before this. I don't think I would. Not only am I a bit of a technophobe but I enjoy the bit of banter, I love remembering the artist and the personality that has gone with each piece too. And what if the robot malfunctioned and tore me to pieces?? :eek:

Very interesting concept though from an art point of view imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

That's really cool, OP. Not entirely sure I'd go with it. Silly as it sounds, but I'd much prefer to shell out the few hundred quid for an actual artist and have some sort of relationship built up with them, let them talk me through their design process and eventually have the chats with them getting it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That's cool. I'd go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Really cool!! Id love to see someone actully getting it done, but its not for me. I love the banter with the artist!

Advertisement