Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp duty on gift of site

Options
  • 22-03-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

if you are given the site ,, do you have to pay stamp duty on the build ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭The Rooster

No stamp duty on the build.

(but I'm pretty sure stamp duty does apply on the gift of the site, based on the value of the site - though presumably your solicitor covered this when the legal title of the site was transferred to you.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

No stamp duty, but you are liable for gift tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    No stamp duty, but you are liable for gift tax.

I double-checked and there definitely is stamp duty on the transfer of a site based on the market value. Rates are as per Clint's link above, i.e. up to 6% for site with a value of more than €80,000. But the stamp duty can be reduced by half if the gift was received from a close relative.

Definitely no stamp duty on building or renovating a house.

If the gift was from a parent, there is unlikely to be gift tax (only applies when total gifts exceed €414k)

Advertisement