Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referencing in UL

Options
  • 24-03-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hiya Im a first year and i have a big essay coming up im just wondering in an essay like that or any essay can you reference from websites or do they have to be scholarly articles? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

I'm a first year too. Guess i'm always worried about referencing, it's probably gotten to a point at this stage where every point aside from general or personal views is referenced for dear life to avoid plagiarism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If you reference a webpage, remember to give the date that you got the information from the webpage.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

I recommend checking out the library's guide to citing your references, just look through the link below. You can cite a website, your department will have an outlined referencing system (such as the Harvard one) so just look for that on the link below and reference in the way that says.

OP, just as an aside, be wary of the type of website that you choose to use as a reference. Always be critical and remember that anyone can post anything up, true or not, so make sure your source has some credibility :)

http://www.ul.ie/~library/referencing/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

What kind of reference is it? If it's something like current afairs referencing a newspaper/website is probably ok, if it's something else it might actually be better to find the same thing said in a better source such as a book. you might use books.google.com or scholar.google.com to find such a source.

if you're referencing wikipedia you might just reference the reference wikipedia use.

Advertisement