Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student, through work? Have no idea....

Options
  • 24-03-2011 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking the past few weeks about going back to education/college at some stage this year part time but I really dont know where to be looking or what to do yet.

Here's my small back story. I am 29, based in Dublin, did the Leaving Cert Applied, started a PLC in Computer Science straight after the L.C.A. but didnt finish partly due to being 19 and not too interested in html and the millions of different colour code numbers #00015 etc but that was like 10 years ago and I am more interested in computers now, nothing hardcore like soldering, but basic computer stuff I guess (just FYI) like I suppose a lot of other people now a days. .

So now I am working full time, in the public sector, happy out in my job (glad for it too) but my wage is minimal and seems to be going no where for the past 3 years I've been here.
    I think I want to study maybe Business managment or maybe give computer maintenance a go or something along those lines.

Who should I be speaking to? Should I get in contact with my HR dept in my place of work and have a chat with them? What colleges, given that I did the Leaving cert applied, should I be speaking to? Would my work pay for my course provided I complete it?

I want to improve my work life but I just dont know what way to go about it and any help would be much appreciated!
    And I'm sorry for the long winded text above, I'm just so unsure about mature studys at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Well theres alot in that!

First off do you want to study part time? If you're planning on keeping your job it would have to be part time. In that case speak to HR or your manager and ask them would they consider paying for a course for you to do. Im sure they'll ask what course tho so you'd want to have something in mind.

If its not part time your looking for well then safe to assume you'd have to quit your job. If you're over 23 you apply as a mature student and points etc / leaving cert applied shouldn't matter. You'd be interviewed and taken on your own merits as opposed to leaving cert points. You can apply through the CAO not sure about the dates. Or to make things easier to start with find the course you'd be interested in, contact the college directly and take it from there.

Advertisement