Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborns Belly Button

• 24-03-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just looking to see if anyone has any similar experience to the following. Our little daughter is 9 weeks old, her umbilical chord fell of after about two weeks and her belly button slowly looked like it was healing. It is fairly pink looking now but only a part of it.

My wife just had her for a weigh in and all is good with that but she told her that she should take her to the doctor to have her belly button tied and that it should've been done at the 6 week checkup, or at least checked at it?!

I did some quick research and I found some resources saying doctors don't tie belly buttons any longer is this correct? I also read that in some cases it can take over 2 months for a belly button to heal up - we do it keep it very clean.

Obviously we are going to call and most likely go to the doctor about it but was just wondering if anyone had any similar stories? for reassurance I suppose :D!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My little lad's belly button took a long time to fall out and even longer for it to change from a sticky out donut shape to something resembling a really belly button. There was no tying done anyway.

You'll be in for jabs soon enough, you could ask your doctor then or even ring the surgery to see what he/she says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Cheers for the reply Das, I just thought it was a bit of a strange thing to be told and possibly a little bit worrying at the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My little girls belly button fell off at about 2 weeks but what i can only describe as a stalk of skin was left sticking out. Doc noted it at an appointment when babs was about 1 month old and gave me a letter for the rotunda pedeatric clinic (where i delvered her). I went in and the doc tied and it just popped off. I was the second person in with that problem that day. My baby was born on new years so this is all very recent! Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Thanks for the reply Newyearbaby, looks like that we'll be going down the same route with our little girl!

Advertisement