Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

• 24-03-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    just looking into buying one of these lenses and wondering is the lack of the IS an issue?

I have noticed with my kit lens (18-55ef-s) that if i turn off the IS when im taking zoomed in shots of a subject they can be a bit blurry!

is this something to worry about with the aforementioned lens?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

there's no IS on any kind of prime lens that I know of, only telephoto's.

it's not really a problem at all 'cause the lens is so small and light that it doesn't really move to much and is easy to hold. with the extra stops of light you'll be able to bump up your shutter speed anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

and you'll also be closer to your subject

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

thanks for the reply lads! probably a bit of a n00b questions but thanks any way :)

gonna pick one up over the next few weeks!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have a read of this thread a few threads down the page:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056216153

The kit lens has a maximum aperture of f/5.6 at 55mm. The 50mm is f/1.8 at 50mm.
    That amounts to three and a half stops of light. That means you can shoot at lot quicker shutter speed without need for IS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yeah as said allready no need for IS on such a wide ap. lens, also at 50mm you would rarely need IS no matter what ap. you were using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

If you are shooting at 1.8 and can't keep the camera steady and need IS, then drop the vibrator in your hands :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

stetyrrell wrote: »
    there's no IS on any kind of prime lens that I know of, only telephoto's.

it's not really a problem at all 'cause the lens is so small and light that it doesn't really move to much and is easy to hold. with the extra stops of light you'll be able to bump up your shutter speed anyways

The 100mm f2.8L Macro has Canon's shiny new 4 stop hybrid IS system.

BigDaddyCan, you should re-evaluate your camera handling technique to reduce motion blur at slow shutter speeds or consider a tripod.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you have blur because the kit lens results in at least 4 times the shutter speed wide open that the 1.8 does.

to work out the ratio of the shutter speed between apertures, double the ratio of the f-stop value.
    e.g f5.6 is 3 'times' f1.8; and that results in a shutter speed difference of a factor of nine. so that would bring you from (say) 1/15th to 1/125th s.

Advertisement