Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts on this controller

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pedofile gaming dream come true....

Sorry, but this is just.... I better say nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 sufferinjaysus

Pedofile gaming dream come true....

Sorry, but this is just.... I better say nothing

Cheers for the reply. I have my own mind made up but I want to see what others think first!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Aimed at kids :confused:

Seems like it would be better used for stop motion animation or somthing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's pretty cool actually, you should have a word with some toy manufacturers and make yourself a mint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Thats really cool well done,
    I showed my son the video, he wants one but thats probably because I told him he could play Mario with it

• Advertisement

Cheers for the reply. I have my own mind made up but I want to see what others think first!!

It's cool technology allright, fair play for doing it, but it's just.... Creepy... I came from east, boys played with toy cars and slingshots, girls played with dolls. In western Europe and USA boys play with action mans dolls, wrestler dolls... Call me old fashion if you want ;)

All this doll thing is creepy for me, as for product I would newer buy this to my kid. And I bet after it's release you will get all sort of third party scumy software for it...

Sorry if I offended you.

To clarify, it's not mine. I'm just doing a case study on the company that created it and I wanted to see what others thought.

I never considered the creepiness factor and it's good to see the positive feedback from people with kids. I just wonder whether it's possible to focus on a toy and a screen in the distance at the same time?

If you doing study, then it's good that you got good and negative comment ;)

If you doing study, then it's good that you got good and negative comment ;)

Apologies, I didn't mean it to sound like that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly looking for positive feedback, I welcome all feedback!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It's too complex for smaller kids, in that they'd have to look away from the screen to move the doll. Anything happening quickly that required individual limb movement would be awkward.

As well as that, when kids play with action figures some move them around like lunatics and some are quite reserved, how would that translate to what happens on-screen?

Also, there seemed to be some serious lag going on in that video, not sure if that's because it's an early model though.

It's an interesting product, and would probably sell based on novelty, but I couldn't see it being supported by major gaming companies from a practical standpoint.

On the other hand, kids would love it if it looked like Mario or whatever character they control, so it could work for simple games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

it's very impressive technology, but i can't seeing it being a success commercially. It looks like those dolls they use in courtrooms!

You'd be onto something with a kind of augmented reality......maybe make it into a dog instead? Some non-human animal lol. Like the tech definitely has potential, implemented right it could make millions, but not with a humanoid doll

hope that's somewhat helpful.....just my 2 cents....

It's too complex for smaller kids, in that they'd have to look away from the screen to move the doll. Anything happening quickly that required individual limb movement would be awkward.

As well as that, when kids play with action figures some move them around like lunatics and some are quite reserved, how would that translate to what happens on-screen?

Also, there seemed to be some serious lag going on in that video, not sure if that's because it's an early model though.

It's an interesting product, and would probably sell based on novelty, but I couldn't see it being supported by major gaming companies from a practical standpoint.

On the other hand, kids would love it if it looked like Mario or whatever character they control, so it could work for simple games.

Yeah the product in the video is just a prototype so Im guessing it would be improved before it would reach production.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    it's very impressive technology, but i can't seeing it being a success commercially. It looks like those dolls they use in courtrooms!

You'd be onto something with a kind of augmented reality......maybe make it into a dog instead? Some non-human animal lol. Like the tech definitely has potential, implemented right it could make millions, but not with a humanoid doll

hope that's somewhat helpful.....just my 2 cents....

I think the designer is planning on making animal dolls too.

I just wonder if the technology has been overtaken or am I wrong in that assumption?? I'd place it between the Wii controller and Kinect if one was to place the evolution controllers/inputs on a timeline.

Forgot to mention, the RRP is proposed to be €29.99

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Im not sure this is at the same level as a wii or kinect, maybe im wrong, but it looks like a mutil-axis pot system with an accelerometer to detect the jumping and flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

I think its a great idea, I'm surprised this hasn't been funded yet and put out on the market, if I had that money in the bank i would hand it over to him this second.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

interesting idea for those kids that play with action figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I'm doing a project in college on the technology in this youtube link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W65yeJVHkk

I have my own my thoughts on the technology but I'm just wondering what other people think of this potential product??

Its aimed at kids.

Call me juvenile, but the the choice of where to put the USB lead was...unfortunate I would say. I assume for the actual version it would be wireless so not really a problem.

As for the general approach, I think it could be a good product for younger kids for sure. Its got potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

It has huge potential, it's a great invention.

Only problem is, will anyone make a game using it, and if they do, will they actually produce something enjoyable and different enough to be worth buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I think its a great idea. I can think of application or environments it would be more suitable than a kinect.

what I like most would be the development of fine motor skill aspect, videogames can be fantastic for cognitive development but have always fallen short on the physical side, naturally. the wii fit/kinect sports etc tried to capitalize on this as a market to expand into. focusing almost entirely on the idea of gross movement.
    beyond assembling rob the robot, gaming has never put focus on more than a tiny fraction of the fine motor skills. (beyond holding a controller and thumbing buttons I mean)
    play has always and frankly will always be the way to learn fine motor skills but im all for any innovation that might help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how about a hand controller

Advertisement