Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elizabeth Taylor

• 24-03-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

So sad to hear that Elizabeth Taylor died yesterday. She really was Hollywood royalty and had true movie star status. I have huge admiration and respect for her, but does anyone else feel that she was never as beautiful as the media hype suggested? They were calling her the most beautiful woman in the world.

I mean compared to Bridgitte Bardot, Ursula Andress, Sophia Loren, Raquel Welch or Audrey Hepburn (although granted, AH was a little asexual)

If they are judged on beauty and sexual attractiveness, rather than acting ability, surely Elizabeth Taylor would come quite low on the list? Interested to know what others think....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Dymo

I don't really see the big attraction, she appeared in some big movies in the 60's when there was really movie stars, or more likely when there was less exposure for stars than there is now. Getting married 8 times is surely some type of flaw in a person, but the media including our own Joe Duffy has to join into the crowds and treating her like royalty, I hope she rests in peace but I don't get the huge out pouring of grief or is it just the cool thing to do at the moment. I don't blame the UK media because she was born there but the rest of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

I suppose she was the most famous woman in the world once - apart from the Queen maybe. I never found the 50's look flattering though. That old lady shampoo and set hairstyle always made them look much older than they actually were. The others that you mention all had long hair and had looks more transferable to the idea of beauty today. Ms Taylor always seemed to struggle with her weight too. I think her hair definitely let her down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Looking at the gallery of her on RTE some of the pics are stunning. She was absolutely beautiful. She may have struggled with weight as she got older, but I think most of us had the problem

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0323/tayloregallery.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think she was one of the most beautiful women in the world especially in her heyday

039_9228elizabeth-taylor-posters.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

in her heyday she was an absolute babe no question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

She was beautiful in the innocent way, the others were sex goddesses, and whilst Liz had torrent marriages, there is no mention of torrid affairs. She was like what I thought Nuns were when I was a boy, a sexless woman.

She would have been as beautiful as your own mother, as the early movie studios would have wanted her portraid.

Wouldn't have been a great fan myself, didn't like her movies and didn't like this puritanical movie studio whitewashing either.

Had to suffer her for a long forgotten play in school and that is never good. I'm glad some of her roles have been remade in modern times. It would be very hard for a woman like her to make what she made in every meaning of the word today.

History, sure, she deserves her accolades and she will be one of the few forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 VOBT1111

nice......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,988 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gbee wrote: »
    She was beautiful in the innocent way, the others were sex goddesses, and whilst Liz had torrent marriages, there is no mention of torrid affairs. She was like what I thought Nuns were when I was a boy, a sexless woman.

She would have been as beautiful as your own mother, as the early movie studios would have wanted her portraid.

Wouldn't have been a great fan myself, didn't like her movies and didn't like this puritanical movie studio whitewashing either.

Had to suffer her for a long forgotten play in school and that is never good. I'm glad some of her roles have been remade in modern times. It would be very hard for a woman like her to make what she made in every meaning of the word today.

History, sure, she deserves her accolades and she will be one of the few forever.

Didnt she steal Debbie Reynolds husband :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Didnt she steal Debbie Reynolds husband :confused:

And then had a torrid affair with Richard Burton while cheating on the man she stole from Debbie Reynolds (Eddie Fisher) :confused:

Advertisement