Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Software demos and changing proxies???

• 24-03-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section for this question, but I couldn't find any other more closely related to the subject.

I used 4OD recently to catch up on a few missed programmes - just by chance I discovered that it wasn't restricted to the UK.

I also discovered that it is possible to access the BBC iPlayer by using a UK Proxy.

Now before anyone has a canary I have no interest in doing this - I just want to understand it.

Can somebody explain how something like that works and does it leave your computer vulnerable?

And if you use a software demo, what is it that prevents you from successfully reinstalling the demo again?

I'm just trying to learn more about these things, but I need it explained to me very simply.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

"And if you use a software demo, what is it that prevents you from successfully reinstalling the demo again?"

When you install the Demo an entry is made in the registry and this will stop the reinstall. (I am assuming its time limited)
    You could of course reformat but doubt that step would be worth it.

As for BBC iplayer I just dont know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

InisMor wrote: »
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section for this question, but I couldn't find any other more closely related to the subject.

I used 4OD recently to catch up on a few missed programmes - just by chance I discovered that it wasn't restricted to the UK.

I also discovered that it is possible to access the BBC iPlayer by using a UK Proxy.

Now before anyone has a canary I have no interest in doing this - I just want to understand it.

Can somebody explain how something like that works and does it leave your computer vulnerable?

And if you use a software demo, what is it that prevents you from successfully reinstalling the demo again?

I'm just trying to learn more about these things, but I need it explained to me very simply.

Cheers

So if you have a proxy it fools the website at the far end into thinking you have an Ip address in that country

It basically routes all your traffic through it's server.

The risk is I wouldn't trust the server to be not sniffing my traffic for passwords or the like
    I would never ever type any usernames/passwords into a browser that is connected to the internet through of these proxies
    For all you know it could be serving you up a fake version of the website you are looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I use a dedicated browser/proxy setup for BBC iPlayer, and only for that. See my earlier thread

Advertisement