Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2011 from Codemasters

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I've found that the A.I in Instanbul seem to have crazy levels of grip? I'm about 1.5 seconds off the pace in both S1 & S2, and then 2 seconds quicker in S3?

Mmm I was playing yesterday and I thought the same. Had terrible trouble trying to match them in the first 2 sectors but they are so slow around the final 3 turns. Managed a 3rd place then. Barcelona is excellent. Car setup is essential on this, as it always is. Car slides around a lot and you take a lot of kerbs in the corner. Excellent track and a pleasure to drive around on in F1 2011. Think I managed a 5th in that one.

Played Monaco last night and got a penalty in practice after spinning the car into the barrier just outside the tunnel. Love the tiniest detail btw, for anyone who noticed the manhole cover in-game :P Anywho I got a 10 place penalty so I started 20th after having a terrible Q3 (traffic was just crazy, bad timing). Race itself was good enough, was up to 13th after 4 laps and stuck behind a Torro Rosso who defended his position really well. I was on Soft and not the super soft, stayed out for an extra 7 laps. Managed to come out in 9th in the end and take Alguesari for 8th on the second to last lap.

Not moving too fast through it as I started another season with Force India on my laptop too.

Multiplayer is great by the way. Ran into a bug where we had 23 human racers and 1 AI. Was very clean, just one small accident in the first corner of Spa. I started 14th and finished 7th so happy out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

What level are people playing this at, played F1 2010, now on 2011 I still cant get into top 15 with someone like Force India, I know Australia lap like the back of my hand but no matter what I do Im well down! Im I just resigned to being a rubbish driver? During race mode Ill always end up spinning out because I just push too hard!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im playing at hardest difficulty, ie legend AI all aids off, its the only way to play tbh.
    I find it too easy to beat the professional AI with all aids off,Legend is the better challenge.
    The game comes alive with every single aid off,its just your typical arcade muck with aids on.
    Havent started a career yet,mostly doing GP,simply too little time and too many games.

Dcully wrote: »
    Im playing at hardest difficulty, ie legend AI all aids off, its the only way to play tbh.
    I find it too easy to beat the professional AI with all aids off,Legend is the better challenge.
    The game comes alive with every single aid off,its just your typical arcade muck with aids on.
    Havent started a career yet,mostly doing GP,simply too little time and too many games.
    I just dont get it, have it on Indermediate, Ive played lots of racing sims over the years no problem. WIth this I either end up crashing out or disqualified or down in 20th place! very frustrating, I cant be that rubbish at this surely?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I just dont get it, have it on Indermediate, Ive played lots of racing sims over the years no problem. WIth this I either end up crashing out or disqualified or down in 20th place! very frustrating, I cant be that rubbish at this surely?

You're playing with all aids off yeah? You gotta tweak your setups, or at least don't floor it out of a corner. I tend to gently ease off the gas and not brake as much entering a corner, and gently roll it out of the corner until I'm confident enough to floor it :P Of course it depends on your setups. If you have high downforce setups you can accelerate quicker out of the corners but it hurts your tyre wear and you got a slow top speed.

Sounds to me you're probably oversteering out of the corner too much.
    I'm guessing you're just losing it halfway/near the end of the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

God I hate Monaco so much. I'm always clipping the barrier and the corner just before the tunnel I always spin it. Was set for 14th but got a 10 place grid drop for trying to spin my car back around :(

Then in the race was held up in traffic so much. Finished 15th so was disappointed.

Love Canada so so much though :D My favorite track to drive. Just getting through some R&D in P2 at the moment and just done a 1:12:554 on prime tyres. A full 0.355 ahead of the Button on option tyres :eek:

I think my issue is more or less that, I try to accelerate before I even exit the corner (Always the way I used to do it in Karting) I dont really mess too much with setups, maybe this is where Im going wrong I suppose. I just want to race. Ill give it a go later!

I think my issue is more or less that, I try to accelerate before I even exit the corner (Always the way I used to do it in Karting) I dont really mess too much with setups, maybe this is where Im going wrong I suppose. I just want to race. Ill give it a go later!

If you just want to race without fiddling around, turn on traction control at least :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Love the new game, i love games that really reward you when you get "into the grove" (for lack of a better term, was taken aback at first seemed harder, and the DRS takes a bit of getting used to, but it's a very nice addition

• Advertisement

aaronh007 wrote: »
    God I hate Monaco so much. I'm always clipping the barrier and the corner just before the tunnel I always spin it. Was set for 14th but got a 10 place grid drop for trying to spin my car back around :(

Then in the race was held up in traffic so much. Finished 15th so was disappointed.

Love Canada so so much though :D My favorite track to drive. Just getting through some R&D in P2 at the moment and just done a 1:12:554 on prime tyres. A full 0.355 ahead of the Button on option tyres :eek:

Just discovered that selecting what I thought was an innocent option of "quit to paddock" so I could do an interview DNFs you from the race :mad: Didn't even get to try Canada in race trim :(
    Shane_ef wrote: »
    Love the new game, i love games that really reward you when you get "into the grove" (for lack of a better term, was taken aback at first seemed harder, and the DRS takes a bit of getting used to, but it's a very nice addition

Quite like DRS. I've started using Practice to test the limits of what type of corner you can take with it open so I can use it in quali, often to my detriment of spinning out quite spectacularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Anyone know why my DRS option is always greyed out during a race? I'm aware of the DRS zones and < 1 second gap etc.

You answered your own question, Its greyed out until you are allowed to use it.
    Decided to play around with Downforce and car settings for the Oz Grand Prix and qualified 7th in the Williams and finished 11th (was 6th but lost out in the pits changing front wing)! Was absolutely ecstatic with the result. COuld have pushed for a points finish as Di Resta was about 3 seconds off but decided not to spin out for the 15th time!

Quite like DRS. I've started using Practice to test the limits of what type of corner you can take with it open so I can use it in quali, often to my detriment of spinning out quite spectacularly.
    Its great fun in Practice alright but when you get a lap that youve nailed only to spin out on the last corner due to a DRS related wobble its very frustrating. But the part I love about the game is the car can get very stable if you thorw out a good few laps. I dont know if thats just in my head but If I get 3-4 quality laps in the car just feels like I can push it to its limits. A bit like real life I suppose!

Won my first GP in legendary. :D

Valencia, qualified 10th and finished first. Completely tore the track up everywhere, watched the replay. Hit the barriers about 7 times powersliding out of the corners! Very lucky I didn't take any damage. I didn't even get the fastest lap (0.2 slower than Button). Was an epic race though.

Won my first GP in legendary. :D

Valencia, qualified 10th and finished first. Completely tore the track up everywhere, watched the replay. Hit the barriers about 7 times powersliding out of the corners! Very lucky I didn't take any damage. I didn't even get the fastest lap (0.2 slower than Button). Was an epic race though.
    There is definately a more of a feel good factor in this game.

• Advertisement

Its great fun in Practice alright but when you get a lap that youve nailed only to spin out on the last corner due to a DRS related wobble its very frustrating. But the part I love about the game is the car can get very stable if you thorw out a good few laps. I dont know if thats just in my head but If I get 3-4 quality laps in the car just feels like I can push it to its limits. A bit like real life I suppose!

I know exactly what you mean. I was pushing the DRS to it's absolute limit around certain corners on Oz, Turkey, Canada...even the tunnel in Monaco and my god the spins :eek:

Think you're right about the car becoming stable after a few laps. I think its the track getting rubbered in and the tyres and brakes getting into their optimal temperature range. My car has certainly gone faster after 3-5 laps than it has after a one/two lap charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Mack_Attack

Just got this game on the xbox, although I am yet to purchase a steering wheel. Does anyone recommend any of the options out there?

I believe some of the fanatec wheels work with 360,apparently the MS one sucks, thats what im hearing from people used to decent wheels anyways.

I believe some of the fanatec wheels work with 360,apparently the MS one sucks, thats what im hearing from people used to decent wheels anyways.

Yes, the MS one does suck. Had it and sold it 2 weeks later. Feedback on it is terrible

Almost broke down in tears last night, second race of the season and I qualify in 6th in a Williams, manage to get second place at turn 2 and for 10 laps Im well behind Alonso but holding 22 other cars behind me in the lashing rain. Toughest race ever and I go wide at one corner and vettel decides to clip the rear and I spin off! Not only that but coming back on track I get a 10 second penalty for blocking after rejoining! Vettel gets nothing for sending me off track! FFS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I'll probably be buying this next week but just want to know what people think of the game so far.

Is it an improvement on the 2010 version(which I quite liked)? I'll be getting it for PS3.

unkymo wrote: »
    I'll probably be buying this next week but just want to know what people think of the game so far.

Is it an improvement on the 2010 version(which I quite liked)? I'll be getting it for PS3.

I'd read all the threads on the Codemasters site and a few comments on here about the game's graphics on the PS3 and tbh, with concentrating on what I'm doing I don't even notice if they are as bad as some say. The frame rate does drop when you're leaving the pits in practice or quali, but it's quite smooth for everything else. I am much happier having bought the game rather than not taking a punt on it and regretting missing out.

I'd read all the threads on the Codemasters site and a few comments on here about the game's graphics on the PS3 and tbh, with concentrating on what I'm doing I don't even notice if they are as bad as some say. The frame rate does drop when you're leaving the pits in practice or quali, but it's quite smooth for everything else. I am much happier having bought the game rather than not taking a punt on it and regretting missing out.

It boils down to what your used to, stick the PS3 version beside the PC version and its ugly,slow and just horrible, doesnt seem like the same title at all.

It boils down to what your used to, stick the PS3 version beside the PC version and its ugly,slow and just horrible, doesnt seem like the same title at all.

Agree entirely. Until this week I even thought it looked good on my standard definition tv. Then I bought a HD tv and a HDMI cable and well, lets say I was grossly mistaken :pac:

Even on a hd tv the PS3 version isn't as good as the PC version, but like you said, this is what I'm used to so it looks good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mrdata.

Thinking about getting this game. Had F1 10 and it was not bad but once I realised that the ai was not even on the track half the time and some other bugs it really turned me off the game. How is the ai in this game? Are there any noticeable bugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

After reading the threads on the Codemasters site, I've decided not to buy it for now and wait until the next patch to see if it gets fixed. I'll put it on my Christmas list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

unkymo wrote: »
    After reading the threads on the Codemasters site, I've decided not to buy it for now and wait until the next patch to see if it gets fixed. I'll put it on my Christmas list!

don't hold your breath. they didn't bother fixing last years and when they can just pump one out every year and watch the money roll in you can't really blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

don't hold your breath. they didn't bother fixing last years and when they can just pump one out every year and watch the money roll in you can't really blame them.

They did release a patch for last years that fixed glitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Beekay wrote: »
    They did release a patch for last years that fixed glitches.

some glitches. they never bothered to fix the one where you got held in the pits. single player was unplayable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

yeah, this lunatic just jumped blindly in and bought the thing for his Sony VIAO F laptop so I'll be making further contributions about fortnights time.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

some glitches. they never bothered to fix the one where you got held in the pits. single player was unplayable.

Single player was fine for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

1. yes they did improve it with the patch

2. It wasnt hard to change your strategy by a few laps so as not to coincide with all the AI pitting, and avoid the issue anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Is there a site where you can get set-ups for the cars for different tracks?

Gintonious wrote: »
    Is there a site where you can get set-ups for the cars for different tracks?

Race Department have a setups forum that people share sets on.

http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2011-game/

So before F1 comes to India for the first time, what has been your fastest laps on the circuit and opinions?

I really like the circuit design, fastest time has been 1.24.5 for me, but I'm sure I can go about a second faster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

Mrdata. wrote: »
    Thinking about getting this game. Had F1 10 and it was not bad but once I realised that the ai was not even on the track half the time and some other bugs it really turned me off the game. How is the ai in this game? Are there any noticeable bugs?

There are a few bugs that the devs say they are working to patch.

Ive noticed that your pit crew sometimes put on worn tires when you pit even if you have others in perfect condition.

The AI sometimes don't pit or manage an unrealistically low amount of pit stops. This does however seem to negatively affect their tire wear and when it does happen I often seem to lap a few seconds faster than them and the engineer tells me "the car ahead has a blown tire".

The penalty system is a disgrace and it is way too easy to get penalties. If someone rams you, you get a penalty, if you are pushed into a corner and illegally overtake someone (corner cut) you get two penalties, one for being causing an accident (being smashed from behind) and another for illegal overtake. This happens instantly, there is no opportunity to give the position back.

I usually save the flashbacks for dealing with penalties where I have been screwed over.

When lapping cars they act strangely often swerving in and out of your way. I have seen cars swerve into walls on straights trying to get out of my way, ending with them retiring. But at least 50% of the time the car you are lapping will suddenly swerve into your racing line. If they do this on the approach to a corner you are likely to hit the back of their car as they break resulting in a penalty.

Other annoying issue is the AI lap times, especially in practice and quali. One of the guys over on the codemasters forum proved that if you fast forward time during these sessions that the AI times are made up and not realistic. This results in a similar grid every line up for every race if you fast forward during quali. I did a little experiment and if I go out and do fast lap straight away and fast forward the session my team mate barrichello will come 17th/18th but if I do the session in real time he comes in the top 10. I think this is down to the fact that our car is upgraded quite a bit and when really racing he is competitive but for made up times when fast forwarding he laps slower and others lap faster.

Despite this, the game is awesome and I am getting used to the penalties system and avoiding getting them at this stage. I also sit through the whole quali sessions to make it accurate and the AI pit bug seems to make it easier anyway. The worn tires has only happened once and didnt make a major difference thanks to the laps in which I pitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

I don't like the amount of waiting time there is for races to start. I also don't like the way that you can't do pitstops yourself, the computer takes over once you enter the pitlane. Apart from that its a class game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

anyone else having issues with fuel economy? ran out of fuel in monza on standard mix entire race. In spa only used rich mix for less then half a lap in the entire race and still ran out of fuel. And it doesnt let me select lean mix at all, just standard or rich.

also theres no penalty for crossing white line on pit exit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

anyone else having issues with fuel economy? ran out of fuel in monza on standard mix entire race. In spa only used rich mix for less then half a lap in the entire race and still ran out of fuel. And it doesnt let me select lean mix at all, just standard or rich.
    F1 cars are fueled in such a way that they're going to run out before the end. This is because it's expected that they'll be able to run a lap or 2 at low speed due to yellow flags and safety cars, thus conserving less fuel while leaving the car as light as possible.

What that means when playing in-game is that you should always be aiming to have "+1 Lap" on your fuel window, and will have to run on Lean at a point in the race where things are slowed down, or there's a Safety Car. If you're leading by a reasonable amount you can Lean it as well.

PJTierney wrote: »
    F1 cars are fueled in such a way that they're going to run out before the end. This is because it's expected that they'll be able to run a lap or 2 at low speed due to yellow flags and safety cars, thus conserving less fuel while leaving the car as light as possible.

What that means when playing in-game is that you should always be aiming to have "+1 Lap" on your fuel window, and will have to run on Lean at a point in the race where things are slowed down, or there's a Safety Car. If you're leading by a reasonable amount you can Lean it as well.

Read my post again please, it wont let me select the lean mix during the race, god knows i've tried!

Oh.. that's strange :(

PC version?

nope PS3. starting to annoy me now cause ive run out of fuel in at least 3 races and thats even with short shifting and doing some economical driving.

Best post on Codemasters forums about it, or tweet to the developers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Finding this great now with the patch, graphics seem to be better, there was no frame rate issue at all with Monaco, unlike last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Bought this for Christmas as a present for myself on the 360 and am loving playing it online. A lot of idiots who use you as brakes but there's a lot of very competitive and well mannered drivers who often message you after a good race which is a nice touch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,067 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm going to get this for the 360. Didn't buy an F1 game in years. Did anyone here try it with the wireless speed wheel?

The official MS one? Yeah, there's a slight delay in the feedback. It's very annoying tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,067 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Enderman wrote: »
    The official MS one? Yeah, there's a slight delay in the feedback. It's very annoying tbh

I'll be better off with the wireless controller so. I find it works fine with Forza 4.

Advertisement