Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to be a doctor

• 24-03-2011 6:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭

what subjects do you need to be a doctor?im in junior cert and were picking our subjects tomorrow, i doubt i will do transition year because i already (mostly) know what i will do and transition year is mainly for picking subjects you like and that will be irrelevant for which job you would like to get.I am thinking of choosing irish , english, french, maths, biology, chemistry, but i dont know which others to choose.
    For my final subject should i do history, geography, physics or art?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Re TY. People do TY for a number of reasons. One of the reasons I did it was to get a chance to learn new skills that otherwise I won't get during "normal" school. Skills such as team work, debating, report writing, fund raising etc. Do not dismiss TY so easily. Employers to other things other than grades. The person who has demonstrated team work etc etc and has a degree will be more likely be picked over one who just has a degree.

As for picking subjects, do the ones you like. You are going to need to do well to get the points for med so it is important you pick subject you'll like. If you like the subject the exam will be easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭innthe

Re TY. People do TY for a number of reasons. One of the reasons I did it was to get a chance to learn new skills that otherwise I won't get during "normal" school. Skills such as team work, debating, report writing, fund raising etc. Do not dismiss TY so easily. Employers to other things other than grades. The person who has demonstrated team work etc etc and has a degree will be more likely be picked over one who just has a degree.

As for picking subjects, do the ones you like. You are going to need to do well to get the points for med so it is important you pick subject you'll like. If you like the subject the exam will be easy.

kk, art is really easy, i got 70 in my mocks and did the exam wrong,i got 73 in geography with a little study and 62 in my history but i didnt know the exam was on (timetable changed lol) in my science i didnt do well in physics though, i studied biology but only a little chemistry and no physics AT ALL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

innthe wrote: »
    kk, art is really easy, i got 70 in my mocks and did the exam wrong,i got 73 in geography with a little study and 62 in my history but i didnt know the exam was on (timetable changed lol) in my science i didnt do well in physics though, i studied biology but only a little chemistry and no physics AT ALL!!

To answer your question personally if you are heading the way of medicine/science I would choose physics. However you don't seem all that pushed on doing study which you will need to do for the LC. It is nothing like JC and you will need a near perfect LC to get into medicine. So I'd be concerned that you wouldn't be doing that much study in science when this is the direction you want to head in.

Perhaps a year in TY would do you the world of good and allow you to mature a little more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd recommend you do Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Don't do Art unless you're very good at it, very few people manage to get an A in art.

You'll need to work extremely hard to be in for a chance to study medicine. You need a near flawless LC and an excellent HPAT and as a result you need to be up to date with revision.

If you've any interest in studying up North or in the UK you'll need a good Junior Cert as well as a good Leaving Cert.

Advertisement