Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoE testing - The Court has spoken

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

The most recent 'move' on the issue was The Minister in the last government accepting the proposals from the RSA, but he did not go so far as to actually sign it into law.
    As a rule, an incoming Minister does not continue his/hers predecessors 'projects' so the ball would be back in the court of the RSA to encourage the new Minister to continue the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

ok so there is still no DOE/NCT for a camper then, I am re-insure.
    Thanks a million

I will need to keep an eye on this, to make sure for the 3 times I am driving the camper a year I am not breaking the law. :)

superfly35 wrote: »
    ok so there is still no DOE/NCT for a camper then, I am re-insure.
    Thanks a million

I will need to keep an eye on this, to make sure for the 3 times I am driving the camper a year I am not breaking the law. :)

Even though the vehicle is only used very occasionally certain parts still deteriorate with age, like tyres and brake hoses for example.
    While there is no mandatory testing requirement at present it is advisable that a competent mechanic gives the vehicle a check over one a year.

A blowout or failed braking system ain't fun :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭superfly35

Thanks for the info.
    I know that motor pretty well, I do my own mechanic for years now. ;)

And he went for DOE 2 years ago + engineer report last year, the only thing I need to work on in a near future is the rust which is coming.

I will get on to that case after my actual classic car restoration project ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I rang the RSA in Ballina yesterday, and they assured me that the paper work for DOE testing will be signed by the end of the year. EU have insisted that this and other papers connected with testing are done or heavy fines plus other other penalties will be enforced.

He is 100% certain it will be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

what about caravans?? is there a test for them

what about caravans?? is there a test for them

?:confused: As far as I'm aware there's no test for any type of trailer, and after all that's all a caravan is.

Tests are only for motorised vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

cheers nice one for that :cool:

?:confused: As far as I'm aware there's no test for any type of trailer, and after all that's all a caravan is.

Tests are only for motorised vehicles.

Watch this space :(
    In Spain caravans are required to be registered and given their own registration number (hence why you see caravans with two reg. nos., its own and that of the towing vehicle) AND they also are required to have a regular test similar to the ITV (Spain's equivalent to our NCT)

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Watch this space :(
    In Spain caravans are required to be registered and given their own registration number (hence why you see caravans with two reg. nos., its own and that of the towing vehicle) AND they also are required to have a regular test similar to the ITV (Spain's equivalent to our NCT)

It's nice to see that a country is doing it's own thing for a change and not just what the E.U. require.

I go to spain quite often and never noticed this. I'll look for it the next time (not that it effects me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Hey guys

I brought my converted Mazda Bongo camper (1997 2.5l diesel) to NCT test centre last week. It is already classified as a "motor caravan" on the V5 document from the UK so there was no questions at all about the classification.

I am still waiting to hear how much VRT I will have to pay. I think I will go and get a DoE done on it anyway just to have it but nor for a while yet till I get some money together after paying the VRT.

I'll post up here when I get the bad news on the amount.

Advertisement