Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Luck in GAMSAT 2011!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

its called intentional irony, sarcasm and condescension.....

I despair that people who describe themselves as "intentionally condescending" are allowed into medical school. You're lucky there's no social skills section on the GAMSAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

hi guys, I have a couple of quick questions.

Firstly, in relation to the open days at UCD. Those the whole tour take up a full day or close to a full day? Just wondering if I will need to take a day off work to attend. I'm gonna need all the holiday pay I can get when I quit my job.

Secondly, If I contact RCSI will they accommodate with me with a tour of the their various facilities?

Also if anyone has an input into the various strength of the GEM courses of both of the above colleges, I would really appreciate some constructive advice.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JordyWordy

hi guys, I have a couple of quick questions.

Firstly, in relation to the open days at UCD. Those the whole tour take up a full day or close to a full day? Just wondering if I will need to take a day off work to attend. I'm gonna need all the holiday pay I can get when I quit my job.

Secondly, If I contact RCSI will they accommodate with me with a tour of the their various facilities?

Also if anyone has an input into the various strength of the GEM courses of both of the above colleges, I would really appreciate some constructive advice.

Thanks in advance.

Clever username!
    First - The UCD tour was from 9.30 am until 2.30 approx. You could take the first half of the day off and make it back to work if you're in Dublin. The first part of the day is a few talks from the dean, co-dean, and course co-ordinator, then some coffee, then a tour of the building (what most people were there for I think), then some sambos around 12.30 with current Med students (all were undergrad students this week,bad luck I guess). Then another talk about the course subjects, foreign placements, etc.

There is an option to stick around and have a look at some campus residences and the sports centre, but most people left. If you dont know UCD well it's probably worth a look.

Second - I rang RCSI today about this and wasn't met with any help, but maybe try yourself on Monday and see what they say. If not try finding a student on here who could give you some insight to their facilities, there are several of them here.

Third - you can find some very helpful posts by RCSI and UCD GEM students about their courses by searching around this site a little, I don't have any links right now...

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Haha this is some fantastic monty python stuff! Haha reckless. but seriously really hope people aren't all like this in medicine, it can really ruin a great group and make uni a pain for everyone.....

glad to see that your being taught a high standard of english down in limerick, however it wont compensate on the wards for you're absolutely second rate medical knowledge.

best of luck with you're mickey mouse degree down there, and you're exceptional pharmacology knowledge. who knows, you might actually get to see a cadaver when you graduate, and maybe learn some real anatomy instead of looking through a colouring book.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

Much appreciated Jordy, thanks.

• Advertisement

drspock wrote: »
    really hope people aren't all like this in medicine, it can really ruin a great group and make uni a pain for everyone.....

Judging by the responses on here I'd say MrsStuffings is a minority...one of the "old guard" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

First and foremost I am in first year UL so I am biased etc. etc.

I think MrsStuffin's comments while slightly hyperbolic do contain a modicum of truth. I think it is important for people like her/him/that to make these kind of sensationalist posts so we can get sense of what some people may think but don't want to say.

I think the fundamental question you need to ask yourself is how do you learn? Do you learn from the power point presentations and lecture notes you were given in college or from the books the power point lectures and lecture notes were taken. This is what Sam Johnson said on the topic:

Lectures were once useful; but now, when all can read, and books are so numerous, lectures are unnecessary. If your attention fails, and you miss a part of a lecture, it is lost; you cannot go back as you do upon a book... People have nowadays got a strange opinion that everything should be taught by lectures. Now, I cannot see that lectures can do as much good as reading the books from which the lectures are taken. I know nothing that can be best taught by lectures, except where experiments are to be shown. You may teach chymistry by lectures. You might teach making shoes by lectures!

Now that is a bit dated, I know that students these days, especially med and pharm etc. are 'religious' about getting notes downloaded and reviewing themselves in their own time, usually in conjunction with the text book.

But PBL is more than that, it's more than just reading books and learning the basic sciences of medicine 'yourself' with a generous splattering of Google searches and wikipedia consultation. It's a principle based on, at any point, what you have learned last week/yesterday/20 minutes ago is questionable and you need to be able to demonstrate you know it and understand it. It's about problem solving and about having knowledge between your ears and not in notes.

Now having said that, certain subjects or topics do require lectures or a series of lectures, to make it clear what the school thinks is important and essential to know. Subjects like Microbiology and Biochemistry are domains and disciplines within themselves and as a PBL student its hard to know what level of detail is necessary to know. In PBL and SDL we make that distinction, knowledge that we know or need to know and knowledge that you might read once and be aware of it.

I think almost every Doctor I've spoken with lamented the amount of time and effort they spent learning Biochemistry pathways only to forget 90% of it by the time they hit the wards.

I will acknowledge that anatomy, physiology and pharmacology are subjects at the core of a medical degree that should make up the bread and butter of your learning. In UL, I actually think the teaching and learning of anatomy and physiology is covered very well, despite not having any cadaver or dissection work. I am not in a position to comment on a comparison, I had never done human anatomy prior to the course. Intuitively though, it's hard to imagine dissections and cadaver work ever being a hindrance to your education. I am aware of some of the theoretical arguments against a reliance on cadavers - as a doctor you'd hope to be dealing with living tissue rather than dead tissue (unless you're a pathologist), actually I won't even further attempt to argue against cadavers :o

In UL, in anatomy and physiology we have two great professors, one in particular who takes up the core of the anatomy and physiology teaching. In a nut shell, we're given pictures of organs/structures/tissues and a set of questions relating to their clinically significance in anatomy, physiology and disease. Every week we have a 'rounds like' session in which we're questioned on their contents.

However, with regard to pharmacology, biochem and micro I think there is a deficit of expertise with regard to teaching and direction. The PBL model we work from doesn't do it very well and there isn't a huge amount of scrutiny in the PBL sessions to identify gaps in knowledge. In a nutshell, if you never did a science degree before, and I'm extrapolating based on first year UL, based on what we're explicitly prescribed to learn you wouldn't do very well in the USMLE in these topics based on your UL course. Now, one of the parts of the PBL ethos is to interpret learning objectives widely but never the less, you will not cover these topics adequately for USMLE preparation. It's debatable if the material is covered adequately to survive the clinical years of med school.

In UL, we actually do a huge amount on 'clinical skills' in the pre-clinical years. Learning how to do neurological exams and take blood pressure, do ECGs and do respiratory exams. We do OSCEs from day one.

Finally I'd like to remind people that the material you learn in med school tends to be quite small compared to the amount of material a doctor learns in her life time. The material learned in 1st year and 2nd year is built upon and augmented in 3rd and 4th years, where to the best of my knowledge, the medical schools don't significantly differ (open to correction/debate/information).

This isn't written as a defense of UL, nor to encourage people sitting on the fence to put UL higher on priorities. My only aim is to present my opinion in a fashion which demonstrates I am not insecure about my degree thus far, I am not paranoid about what other people might be saying in coffee shops in Vincents or Blanchardstown. I am not trying to plaster over any weaknesses neither.

The only real tests will be to see what UL trained junior doctors will be like in the field (wards) next year and the next couple of years. I am quietly confident that academically, if you were to test UL students on USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 with RCSI, UCC and UCD students, our top guys would be on par with their top guys and our low guys would be on par with their low guys. How the mid people compare might be interesting though.

There are many reasons why you might have an inferiority complex in med school. You might think all the BEST medical schools are in the USA and all Irish ones are a second best. Next you might say all the best students went into Irish medical schools as 18/19 year old undergrads and all the Graduate entries are a lot of runners up. Next you might say UL has the lowest GAMSAT score so it's the worst of a bad lot. So if someone reading this took three gamsat attempts to get into RCSI and spent 100s on tests and prep courses and notes etc. and thinks their better than someone else who has already done a bit of med school they should refresh their intellectual internet cache and start again fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

holy **** that's a massive post i'm not even going to read it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

MrsStuffins - congrats on getting into RCSI.

When you graduate will it annoy you that grads from the other 3 med schools will be getting paid the exact same as you?

When you graduate will it annoy you that grads from the other 3 med schools will be viewed the exact same as you and given the same oppertunities?

When you graduate will it annoy you that grads from the other 3 med schools will some day be your superior?

Hate consumes my friend - don't be a hater ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

mrs stuffings,either cop on and be civil and pleasant or else dont post here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

sam34 wrote: »
    mrs stuffings,either cop on and be civil and pleasant or else dont post here again.

Seems a bit strange that MrsStuffings is being an expert on medical courses when she hasnt even started hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

tbf, stuffings is only saying what a whole load of people are thinking but probably don't have the guts to say.

I have no idea about PBL or UL or anything to do with it as I'm not interested in studying outside of Dublin (merely for reasons of personal convenience), but I have heard at least one GP badmouth it along the exact same lines as stuffings has above.

I'm not saying he's right or wrong but when you have these types of attitudes out there coupled with a different teaching method and the lowest gamsat requirement (well up to this year anyway - UCD increasing the GEM places by 40% could change that), you have to at least acknowledge that these opinions may have an effect on one's career long term whether we like it or not.

For all I know, by the time I graduate (hopefully just over 4 years from now presuming my 61 gets me UCD), graduate entry doctors could have a feckin awful reputation in hospitals because a few older doctors decide they don't like them (I've seen GEM bashing online already and it doesn't surprise me one bit).....

Fact of the matter is, no matter what, competitiveness and elitism exist in all professions, not least medicine, and if you're going to be seriously swayed in your life choices by other people's opinions on such matters, then you really have to wonder what the hell you're doing wanting to become a doctor in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 melanie87

Galway had the lowest points for the undergrad course last year at 719 compared to trinity at 731....so does that mean galway is the worst place to do undergrad med??

Points mean nothing just supply and demand. Generally courses in colleges on the west coast are lower because theres less demand!

TBH I don't know much about the UL course or PBL but it can't be that bad if the HEA is willing to fund the course?

I imagine the west coast thing is a big part of it - pick any degree in Dublin, pick the counterpart in Limerick, let me know if anyone finds a course in Limerick with higher points. Enough said. PBL may influence it, but it's not the be all and end all.

If in 10 years time we are all working with stupid, incompetent, internet-reliant, unintelligible doctors we can all look back on this thread and point to the moment when we realised things had gone wrong....then we can blast them off into space in a shuttle, or whatever the fashionable method of exiling people is at the time.

Until then I'm going to wait for August and hope things have gone my way, and I get a place in any course that will take me.

However, with regard to pharmacology, biochem and micro I think there is a deficit of expertise with regard to teaching and direction. The PBL model we work from doesn't do it very well and there isn't a huge amount of scrutiny in the PBL sessions to identify gaps in knowledge. In a nutshell, if you never did a science degree before, and I'm extrapolating based on first year UL, based on what we're explicitly prescribed to learn you wouldn't do very well in the USMLE in these topics based on your UL course. Now, one of the parts of the PBL ethos is to interpret learning objectives widely but never the less, you will not cover these topics adequately for USMLE preparation. It's debatable if the material is covered adequately to survive the clinical years of med school.
    Interesting to hear an objective view on it from an insider. It is hard to imagine how (1) having a lecturer read the information to you, you learning it at home and (2) reading the information and discussing it with classmates, could lead to two wildly different outcomes....but a lack of scrutiny is unusual...
    The only real tests will be to see what UL trained junior doctors will be like in the field (wards) next year and the next couple of years. I am quietly confident that academically, if you were to test UL students on USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 with RCSI, UCC and UCD students, our top guys would be on par with their top guys and our low guys would be on par with their low guys. How the mid people compare might be interesting though.
    Very interesting idea...
    In an overall sense it's good to see that St George's College London have been running PBL since 2000, and I cannot find any articles online about their graduates being incompetent doctors, so I guess that bodes well for UL students?! :) PBL is fairly popular in some american colleges too I hear? Would be interesting to know if anyone has any concrete facts on how popular PBL is on global scale...
    So if someone reading this took three gamsat attempts to get into RCSI and spent 100s on tests and prep courses and notes etc. and thinks their better than someone else who has already done a bit of med school they should refresh their intellectual internet cache and start again fresh.
    As good a put-down as I've seen online. Well played.

For the thread in general - I havn't read these, but for sh1ts and giggles, here are three articles comparing studies of MCQ tests on SHOs who have studied via PBL vs SHOs that did traditional courses.

Albanese MA, Mitchell S. Problem-based learning: a review of the literature on its outcomes and implementation issues. Acad Med 1993;68:52–81. Berkson L. Problem-based learning: have the expectations been met? AcadMed 1993;68(suppl 10):S79–88.

Vernon DTA. Attitudes and opinions of faculty tutors about problem-based learning. Acad Med 1995;70:216–23.

Mann KV, Kaufman DM. Evaluation of innovative curricula. A comparative study of problem-based and conventional undergraduate curricula in preparing students for graduate medical education. Acad Med 1999;74(suppl):S4–6.

If anybody wants to research this more fully we can set up a new thread and properly get down to the grizzle & bones discussion of PBL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tradesmann

Going mad wondering if my 59 will be enough to get UCD...its dangerous to believe the talk of scores coming down I know, but still tempting : 0

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

Yep I'm the same tradesmann also on 59 with my fingers crossed for UCD! Did my undergrad there would be very happy to spend another 4 years there... cmon august!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Tradesmann wrote: »
    Going mad wondering if my 59 will be enough to get UCD...its dangerous to believe the talk of scores coming down I know, but still tempting : 0
    Yep I'm the same tradesmann also on 59 with my fingers crossed for UCD! Did my undergrad there would be very happy to spend another 4 years there... cmon august!!

join the club :)

In the likely event that its not enough though Im trying to figure out would I rather Cork or UL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tradesmann

Yea I'm in the same situation here. I guess I'm gona put ucd down first, then ucc and ul. Workin in dublin at mo tho so would like to not have to move. But sure, a fresh start is sometimes the best thing ever : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mystery1

Scientist1 wrote: »
    What an A*****E!!! I think that there is more than a little snobbery involved in this guy's opinion of UL med...but it is really unfair to bash a course like this, a course that he / she has not attended. I think that the friend shows a certain degree of immaturity to start a course like GEM and decide after 1 year "o maybe medicine is not for me"! I have a degree in Biochemistry and an MSc in Pharmacology and yes, I learnt from books, lecture notes the net, science articles, etc...
    At the end of the day, everyone is going to come out with the same qualification and work together as a team (hopefully) and this "I'm better than you" attitude is incredibly immature and counter-productive.
    Anyways, thanks for the info on UL, hoping (and praying) to scrape in on 56...fingers crossed - is there any deadline for loan applications, does anyone know? When is the latest round of CAO offers, would really like to give work 4 weeks notice....
    Best of Luck, everyone, in whatever college you go to!!!

Rounds Zero (i.e. GEM offers) starts this year is on 4th August. The next round is 22nd August. Best of luck, I'm hoping for a round zero offer too! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

mystery1 wrote: »
    Rounds Zero (i.e. GEM offers) starts this year is on 4th August. The next round is 22nd August. Best of luck, I'm hoping for a round zero offer too! :-)

Fingers crossed for everyone. If UCD stays at or goes below 61 I'll be absolutely ecstatic & probably arrested for being a public nuisance! :D If I've finally made up my mind between UCD & UCC at that point that is!!!!
    How did you find out round zero is starting on the 4th August Mystery1?-CAO havnt update their website yet.
    Anybody thinking that these weeks are craaaaaaaawling by? :(

Fingers crossed for everyone. If UCD stays at or goes below 61 I'll be absolutely ecstatic & probably arrested for being a public nuisance! :D If I've finally made up my mind between UCD & UCC at that point that is!!!!
    How did you find out round zero is starting on the 4th August Mystery1?-CAO havnt update their website yet.
    Anybody thinking that these weeks are craaaaaaaawling by? :(

Hi Hurdygurdy85!

I think the weeks are crawling too, how I'm going to get through 2 more months of waiting is beyond me. I've got a 60 which is 'borderline' for UCD and UCC based on last years cut-offs, if I don't get a place (which I had a nightmare about last night, I dreamt I scored 22 in the GAMSAT) I'll be fierce disappointed, I have already told everyone not to tell anyone that I'm going back to college. I hope I haven't set myself up for a fall!

CAO seem to have told the date of round zero offers to some of the UNIs who have put the dates up on their websites.

UCD: https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/gen_reg.ezc
    UL: http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Student_Affairs/Student_Administration/Admissions/Important%20Dates

I correct myself on round one offers, they're on 23rd August not the 22nd.

Fingers crossed I see you in UCD or UCC Hurdygurdy85!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I sincerely hope 61 will get a round zero offer from UCD......the thought of waiting til the 23rd of august is headache inducing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 watawaster

I've been reading some of the UL bashing. You could swear it was a plc course in applied secretarial first aid. Get a grip, hard work will make the better doctor, not dcu or rcsi.

It's a privilege to even have the chance to apply for medicine. So be dam proud any offers you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

watawaster wrote: »
    I've been reading some of the UL bashing. You could swear it was a plc course in applied secretarial first aid. Get a grip, hard work will make the better doctor, not dcu or rcsi.

It's a privilege to even have the chance to apply for medicine. So be dam proud any offers you get.

While I completely agree with you about it being a major privilege, the bashing of UL in the thread is not all that dissimilar from your haemotology consultant telling you that she refuses to teach UCC med students because of their lack of knowledge and you passing on the same information. People are trying to convince themselves that their situation is better than that of others to serve their own purposes. Manufacturing happiness
    watawaster wrote: »
    Managed to get 58 with no study a week after my finals. Hadn't even realised today was the results date till I checked th'oul emails. w.t.f!! was all that I could muster.
    Also I spoke to a haematology consultant (doing my thesis in limerick regional) and she said the UL students are generally better than undergrads. And she refuses to teach cork med students because of their extreme lack of knowledge... interesting for all you skeptics on UL. Believe me when I say this woman knows her **** and takes no ****, she seems to only acknowledge me because I remind her of her son... In conclusion: WIN

Just asking for a bit of consistency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 watawaster

Ha ha ha, you are thorough! Brilliant, my hat is off to you.

I have spoken to some doctors that I know about the UL course vs the UCD/UCC/RCSI courses and I have got some mixed reviews. I have heard (I don't know how true this is) that the UL course has a huge emphasis on primary care. If you want to be a GP this is great, but if you wan't to work in secondary care you would be better off going to UCD/UCC/RCSI.

On the other hand I have heard that the UCD/UCC/RCSI courses are outdated, and there is a lot of non-essential teaching. A consultant I know (whose name/speciality shall remain nameless!) trained in UCD and he tells me that the anatomy dissection of the cadaver is more an old-fashioned rite-of-passage than anything else. He was freaked out for about a month initially, and he can't believe he was put through all that only to take away a large chunk of knowledge irrelevant in medical practice. He said the important anatomy as a medical physician is surface anatomy, and unless you want to be a surgeon it is a 'gift' that there is a course available that teaches 'relevant' anatomy through computer simulation (i.e. UL).

As an aside, I know another consultant who trained in RCSI, and he said that the course was "bet into him" but he swears by the training he got. He said to expect role calls, he said its like going back to secondary school, if you're missing for 2 days expect a call asking where you have been etc.

My worry about UL is the fear of the unknown, I've no experience of PBL, so I'd be terrified that I'd sign up to it to find I can't motivate myself enough for it, I wouldn't mind a 50/50 mix of lectures + PBL maybe.... can anyone tell me how much of the UL course is based on PBL?

JordyWordy wrote: »
    Interesting to hear an objective view on it from an insider. It is hard to imagine how (1) having a lecturer read the information to you, you learning it at home and (2) reading the information and discussing it with classmates, could lead to two wildly different outcomes....but a lack of scrutiny is unusual...

Very interesting idea...
    In an overall sense it's good to see that St George's College London have been running PBL since 2000, and I cannot find any articles online about their graduates being incompetent doctors, so I guess that bodes well for UL students?! :) PBL is fairly popular in some american colleges too I hear? Would be interesting to know if anyone has any concrete facts on how popular PBL is on global scale...

As good a put-down as I've seen online. Well played.

For the thread in general - I havn't read these, but for sh1ts and giggles, here are three articles comparing studies of MCQ tests on SHOs who have studied via PBL vs SHOs that did traditional courses.

Albanese MA, Mitchell S. Problem-based learning: a review of the literature on its outcomes and implementation issues. Acad Med 1993;68:52–81. Berkson L. Problem-based learning: have the expectations been met? AcadMed 1993;68(suppl 10):S79–88.

Vernon DTA. Attitudes and opinions of faculty tutors about problem-based learning. Acad Med 1995;70:216–23.

Mann KV, Kaufman DM. Evaluation of innovative curricula. A comparative study of problem-based and conventional undergraduate curricula in preparing students for graduate medical education. Acad Med 1999;74(suppl):S4–6.

If anybody wants to research this more fully we can set up a new thread and properly get down to the grizzle & bones discussion of PBL.

Hi JordyWordy

Many thanks for the articles above.... have you access to these articles? I found them on pubmed but I've no access and there are no abstracts, I'd love to read the findings of the articles! :-)

mystery1 wrote: »
    Hi JordyWordy

Many thanks for the articles above.... have you access to these articles? I found them on pubmed but I've no access and there are no abstracts, I'd love to read the findings of the articles! :-)

No I dont I'm afraid - when I made that post I found some way to open the first one, but I can't figure it out now! I never even tried the other ones...sorry about that! Careless posting on my part there. The basic point of the first one seemed to be that there was no statistical evidence to suggest any different performance in the workplace, but there were subtle differences in particular subjects in college - I wish I'd saved it now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 ljg1

My worry about UL is the fear of the unknown, I've no experience of PBL, so I'd be terrified that I'd sign up to it to find I can't motivate myself enough for it, I wouldn't mind a 50/50 mix of lectures + PBL maybe.... can anyone tell me how much of the UL course is based on PBL?[/QUOTE]

Hi Mystery1,
    Here is a link to a very accurate portrayal of life in UL
    http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/university-limerick/54120-ul-not-ul.html

When I went to UCC open day last year, they said the course was a mixture of case-based learning and lectures which might be more in line with what you're looking for, but maybe someone else could answer that for you as I'm not 100%. This is from their website 'Much of the teaching is small group learning with a focus on teamwork and self-directed learning. Methods include sign-post seminars, weekly case discussions, problem-based learning, tutorials and clinical skills and laboratory work-shops.'

In regards to the primary care approach, there is an 18 week GP placement in third year in UL. So yes, it is quite focused on primary care but we still have to complete the same amount of time in the medicine and surgery rotations as UCC/RCSI/UCD. Hope this helps! :)

Advertisement