Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Luck in GAMSAT 2011!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

the only figure we really need is how many applications are with UK or previous scores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sorcha88

My thinking on it is that people last year reckoned that points would come down due to an increase in places, but that didn't happen probably due to the UK GAMSAT applicants bringing up the average.

So, if we write off the increased places this year as being counteracted by UK applicants we still have the reduced number of applications, which wasn't the case last year (I don't think?), meaning that points surely will have to decrease slightly based on that alone??

Or maybe I'm just overthinking things.Roll on August already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 watawaster

hello everyone
    i got 54 and i was just wondering do you think i might have a chance at limerick. i spoke to them and they said the cut off last yr was 55 and that this yr there are going to be 90 places instead of 75 that there were last yr. im just being way too hopeful i know.!

I know for a fact that one of the current first years in UL got 54 last year... so dont lose all hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 melanie87

so how many extra places are there this year? 22 (ucd)+13(ul)?
    and how many less applicants are there?? 80?

this all sounds too good to be true

come on 57!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

For those like myself who are still undecided as to where to go there are a series of open day type things in UCD coming up..

Visiting Programme for Prospective Medical Students 2011/2012

The School is pleased to announce its 2011/2012 visiting programme for prospective medical students. Commencing 20th April 2011, the programme provides a structured opportunity for students considering application to our 4 year Graduate Entry Medicine or our 5 year and 6 year Direct Entry undergraduate medicine programmes.

Each year, the UCD School of Medicine & Medical Science receives numerous informal enquiries from prospective students who are considering one of our three medicine degree programmes. While we do our best to provide answers to all their questions, students often would like to tour our facilities or meet with a member of our academic staff to discuss the practical realities of life as a medical student. To better serve such interested visitors, the Health Science Programme Office is pleased to announce its 2011/2012 Visiting Programme.
    Commencing Wednesday 20th April 2011, the schedule of one day events will provide a more structured opportunity to prospective students to our 4-, 5- and 6-year Medicine programmes. The programme aims to welcome potential Irish/EU and non-EU students to the School and offer them an insight into life as a UCD Medical Student. The programme will provide an overview of the Medical Programme curricula (Undergraduate & Graduate Entry), details of the admissions process, information on international funding options, and details of the range of student support services and campus accommodation. The programme will also orientate students to the UCD campus.
    • Welcome address by Dean or Associate Dean
    • Programme Presentation
    • Student Support Services
    • Admissions to Medicine
    • International Office Funding Options
    • Visit to UCD On-Campus Accommodation
    • Tour of Library and Campus facilities
    To book a place on one of the following dates, please email: Visitmedsch@ucd.ie
    2011 Dates
    • Thursday May 26th
    • Thursday June 9th
    • Thursday June 23rd
    • Thursday July 7th
    • Wednesday August 3rd
    • Thursday November 10th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Are we sure that the Percentile curve does not include people who sat the exam in the UK ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Just thinking about this a bit more.

The GAMSAT exam that people in the UK sit in March is the GAMSAT Ireland exam - GAMSAT just facilitate those living in the UK. Since this is the case, surely they are inclusive of the GAMSAT Ire Percentile Curve

thoughts?

For those like myself who are still undecided as to where to go there are a series of open day type things in UCD coming up..

The School is pleased to announce its 2011/2012 visiting programme for prospective medical students. Commencing 20th April 2011, the programme provides a structured opportunity for students considering application to our 4 year Graduate Entry Medicine or our 5 year and 6 year Direct Entry undergraduate medicine programmes.

Each year, the UCD School of Medicine & Medical Science receives numerous informal enquiries from prospective students who are considering one of our three medicine degree programmes. While we do our best to provide answers to all their questions, students often would like to tour our facilities or meet with a member of our academic staff to discuss the practical realities of life as a medical student. To better serve such interested visitors, the Health Science Programme Office is pleased to announce its 2011/2012 Visiting Programme.
    Commencing Wednesday 20th April 2011, the schedule of one day events will provide a more structured opportunity to prospective students to our 4-, 5- and 6-year Medicine programmes. The programme aims to welcome potential Irish/EU and non-EU students to the School and offer them an insight into life as a UCD Medical Student. The programme will provide an overview of the Medical Programme curricula (Undergraduate & Graduate Entry), details of the admissions process, information on international funding options, and details of the range of student support services and campus accommodation. The programme will also orientate students to the UCD campus.
    • Programme Presentation
    • Admissions to Medicine
    2011 Dates
    • Thursday May 26th
    • Thursday June 9th
    • Thursday June 23rd
    • Thursday July 7th
    • Wednesday August 3rd
    • Thursday November 10th
    Shweet.....gonna head to this on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

sparrow3 wrote: »
    Just thinking about this a bit more.

The GAMSAT exam that people in the UK sit in March is the GAMSAT Ireland exam - GAMSAT just facilitate those living in the UK. Since this is the case, surely they are inclusive of the GAMSAT Ire Percentile Curve

thoughts?

I think what people are referring to are those who sat the GAMSAT in Uk in Sept 10 aren't counted. Those from UK who sat GAMSAT Ireland are included. Just to really mess with your head it is possible to sit GAMSAT Australia in London (smart option as it's much cheaper even including charges for sitting abroad) and they would not be included. Numbers would be minimal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

there were loads of Irish people sitting the exam over in the UK in Sept (myself included) a couple of us didnt bother sitting the exam again in march and we got between 59-66. This wouldnt be reflected in the Irish Bell curve. Assuming there were LOADS of Irish over there in Sept with possibly similar results I think you need to shift the bell curve to the right a small touch.

Basically points may stay the same this year but I cant see them dropping

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

• Programme Presentation
    • Admissions to Medicine
    2011 Dates
    • Thursday May 26th
    • Thursday June 9th
    • Thursday June 23rd
    • Thursday July 7th
    • Wednesday August 3rd
    • Thursday November 10th

Think ill head to it this thursday. Need to start making up my mind! Im guessing the UCC open day is over???

drspock wrote: »
    Hey hurdy,

Well I actually did a fairly objective analysis between going to rcsi and ucc. I'm fortunate to have 2 family members wrapping up final med down there in UCC, who got me behind the scenes in the Brookfield centre. Rcsi is great but personally I much prefer the facilities in ucc, theyre truely excellent. In comparison with the royal college I was more impressed by UCC. Plus accommodation would be cheaper and that part of the country is way better for outdoor stuff. Lots of positives going in favour of UCC.

Well done on the result hurdy, you deserved ever bit of it for persisting with the ordeal that is the GAMSAT...:D

Thanks for the info drspock! There are a lot of positives in favour of UCC alright, I've kinda fallen in love with the place! My dad is from Cork & I was born there so maybe its a roots thing! :)
    Think ill head down there again, try and organise a tour with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kapow

Thanks for the info drspock! There are a lot of positives in favour of UCC alright, I've kinda fallen in love with the place! My dad is from Cork & I was born there so maybe its a roots thing! :)

Hey hurdygurdy,

I emailed them today about meeting some time this week to talk about the programme and have a look around Brookfield (The Med faculty). I'll let you know what they say back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭drspock

Hey hurdy,

I though there was something special about you! I was born in the bons right behind ucc myself! Good old stock! haha!

Yeah I hear ya, one visit to Brookfield and my mind was set! Am out of the country for the week on wednesday, but if you're ever looking to poke around Brookfield let me know! Having a look at the teaching facilities and areas where they do OSCEs is a must to get a clear picture! Are you living in cork? I'm gonna start thinking about accommodation soon...

kapow wrote: »
    Hey hurdygurdy,

I emailed them today about meeting some time this week to talk about the programme and have a look around Brookfield (The Med faculty). I'll let you know what they say back!

Hey kapow, thanks a mill for that-really appreciate it. Hope I can make it down this week. Trying to make it UCD on thursday aswell. Busy week!
    drspock wrote: »
    Hey hurdy,

I though there was something special about you! I was born in the bons right behind ucc myself! Good old stock! haha!

Yeah I hear ya, one visit to Brookfield and my mind was set! Am out of the country for the week on wednesday, but if you're ever looking to poke around Brookfield let me know! Having a look at the teaching facilities and areas where they do OSCEs is a must to get a clear picture! Are you living in cork? I'm gonna start thinking about accommodation soon...

Ah sure the Bons is the bizz! :D Great oul' gene pool there.... ha ha. No I dont live in Cork, I live in Kildare at the moment. Thanks v. much for the offer though-if I dont get down this week to see the campus I'd deffo be up for giving you a shout if you wouldn't mind? Get an insiders view!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tradesmann

Anyone any advice for a guy who got 59 in the gamsat in march 2011 and is still unsure whether to go for vet or med? vet looks unreal expensive and im thinkin the earning potential for med would pay off bills much faster. on the other hand, i also know the old follow your heart thingy, which is probably more on the vet side.

Also, whats the cut off for vet in ucd does anyone know? Cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

I know for vet the GAMSAT is only half the admission criteria. They take into account GAMSAT, post grad degrees, work experience etc. You can find all this on the UCD website.

the visiting programme today was great. the tour of the anatomy museum and the dissection room was beyond epic......saw a real corpse up close, and got to hold a plastinated brain in my hands. Blew my mind!

Roll on September!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ljg1

Hi everyone,
    Just a couple of things I've noted people saying on this that I thought I'd respond to. Congrats on sitting GAMSAT, its the worst exam you'll ever do.
    UL are increasing EU places to 90 this year, it was said at the open evening. Having said that, it is unlikely that the cutoff will go down because of the fact that alot of people get around 56 in the GAMSAT, which is a pity because you will realise once you get in that GAMSAT really means NOTHING. People who got in late here on 56 are passing other people out etc. So if you didn't get it this time, keep trying. If anything it will teach you perseverance and stamina which are two qualities that I would put top of the list for any doctor.
    Secondly, if anyone has any questions about UL pm me, I'd be glad to help. The PBL approach is really tough but it makes us think on our feet. It orients your learning and you get exposed to real-life cases each week which is fantastic because you're not learning anatomy, pharm, histology, pathology etc in isolation but in an integrated pattern. This lets you create a holistic picture of each system which makes it easier to remember. Also very few boring lectures to sit through which I couldn't cope with in undergrad.
    I would never say that any GEM programme is "better" than another, and I'm sure anyone in any programme would agree. Different strokes and all that. What I would say is keep in mind having your family and friends close by if you can. It gets really stressful and when you need a break there is nothing like having people who support you near you. Best of luck with your decisions!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I thought the Open Evening in UCD was beyond rubbish. Walking into that anatomy museum and then out again was like a visit to a smaller more claustrophobic natural history museum. Then a trip to the labs which were all locked so we just stood outside. On to the dissection room where there was more standing around discussing gamsat and being told that the course in UL was like some sort of Fisher Price medicine degree. And that concluded the tour.

All this following a presentation on the course which was uninspiring to say the least.

Considering that the chances I'll end up there are high, I'm glad someone had a better experience of the place. I really have to stop checking this forum.

August isn't coming is it?

The labs were open today, and tbh you didn't miss much by not seeing them. The talks from the actual doctors were cool but the shtuff about student services etc. was a snoozefest.
    If they slimmed the day down to just those three lectures with the Professor, the associate dean, and the other guy and then just took you on the tour it'd be brilliant.

Can't have imagined anyone discussing the gamsat today in the dissection room what with the brains and women's hands being passed around followed by seeing the inside of the cadaver's face and the box of legs (the polished toenails on the one at the top WTF!!!!!???).

Tbh, if we hadn't got to see all that stuff, I would have been majorly pissed off at the day in general (despite the relatively interesting talks).

Yillan wrote: »
    I thought the Open Evening in UCD was beyond rubbish. Walking into that anatomy museum and then out again was like a visit to a smaller more claustrophobic natural history museum. Then a trip to the labs which were all locked so we just stood outside. On to the dissection room where there was more standing around discussing gamsat and being told that the course in UL was like some sort of Fisher Price medicine degree. And that concluded the tour.

All this following a presentation on the course which was uninspiring to say the least.

Considering that the chances I'll end up there are high, I'm glad someone had a better experience of the place. I really have to stop checking this forum.

August isn't coming is it?

Hi Yillian,
    I too need to stop going on these but was just flicking through after posting my last comment and saw yours. I know it wasn't you who said it or even thinks it,
    BUT in order to stop the perpetuation of UL bashing (seeing as I am going here) and to prevent people reading just that one sentence and then thinking "I read somewhere UL is ****e", I must intervene.
    The Higher Education Authority granted funding to UL before they granted it to UCD and that's probably why UCD feel the need to put the UL course down. This caused huge embarrassment for UCD who had started their own GEM programme the year before and announced (with no backing by the government) that they would be starting the first course. There was annoyance in the government that UCD had "jumped the gun" in this regard. In addition, the HEA has now given UL funding for 90 EU places whereas the other colleges have less than half that in each, which must be incensing UCD furthermore.
    I'm fully aware that the UCD course is excellent and I am in no way trying to put down the academics there, but if you tell people things enough times they will believe it. Soon enough (July 1st to be precise) we will be working on teams together where UCD graduates who were taught to think UL was ****e will be working side by side with UL students who never once heard UCD mentioned. Its so petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sorcha88

ljg1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Just a couple of things I've noted people saying on this that I thought I'd respond to. Congrats on sitting GAMSAT, its the worst exam you'll ever do.
    UL are increasing EU places to 90 this year, it was said at the open evening. Having said that, it is unlikely that the cutoff will go down because of the fact that alot of people get around 56 in the GAMSAT, which is a pity because you will realise once you get in that GAMSAT really means NOTHING. People who got in late here on 56 are passing other people out etc. So if you didn't get it this time, keep trying. If anything it will teach you perseverance and stamina which are two qualities that I would put top of the list for any doctor.
    Secondly, if anyone has any questions about UL pm me, I'd be glad to help. The PBL approach is really tough but it makes us think on our feet. It orients your learning and you get exposed to real-life cases each week which is fantastic because you're not learning anatomy, pharm, histology, pathology etc in isolation but in an integrated pattern. This lets you create a holistic picture of each system which makes it easier to remember. Also very few boring lectures to sit through which I couldn't cope with in undergrad.
    I would never say that any GEM programme is "better" than another, and I'm sure anyone in any programme would agree. Different strokes and all that. What I would say is keep in mind having your family and friends close by if you can. It gets really stressful and when you need a break there is nothing like having people who support you near you. Best of luck with your decisions!:)

That's a pity, I thought with the combination of decreased applicants and increased places points would have to come down down slightly.
    jg1 do you happen to know how many 56ers got into UL last year? Thanks for the very informative post about UL by the way!

Sorcha88 wrote: »
    That's a pity, I thought with the combination of decreased applicants and increased places points would have to come down down slightly.
    jg1 do you happen to know how many 56ers got into UL last year? Thanks for the very informative post about UL by the way!

Oh I'm in no way an expert but this is just my opinion! They may come down, 20 extra places is alot! There's no way of telling how many people got in this year on 56 because some people got in earlier than others but if I were to hazard a guess there were about 6 people who joined late so all of them would have gotten 56. I think its possible to ring the CAO when the results come out to see how far down the * list a person is. Did you ever think you'd be in a Leaving Cert style scenario again? Its so stupid! The very best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

Hi Yillian,
    I too need to stop going on these but was just flicking through after posting my last comment and saw yours. I know it wasn't you who said it or even thinks it,
    BUT in order to stop the perpetuation of UL bashing (seeing as I am going here) and to prevent people reading just that one sentence and then thinking "I read somewhere UL is ****e", I must intervene.
    The Higher Education Authority granted funding to UL before they granted it to UCD and that's probably why UCD feel the need to put the UL course down. This caused huge embarrassment for UCD who had started their own GEM programme the year before and announced (with no backing by the government) that they would be starting the first course. There was annoyance in the government that UCD had "jumped the gun" in this regard. In addition, the HEA has now given UL funding for 90 EU places whereas the other colleges have less than half that in each, which must be incensing UCD furthermore.
    I'm fully aware that the UCD course is excellent and I am in no way trying to put down the academics there, but if you tell people things enough times they will believe it. Soon enough (July 1st to be precise) we will be working on teams together where UCD graduates who were taught to think UL was ****e will be working side by side with UL students who never once heard UCD mentioned. Its so petty.

I've heard before about the UCD tendency to lay into UL during open days. Bad form.

• Advertisement

there was none of that today tbh.

jtsuited wrote: »
    The labs were open today, and tbh you didn't miss much by not seeing them. The talks from the actual doctors were cool but the shtuff about student services etc. was a snoozefest.
    If they slimmed the day down to just those three lectures with the Professor, the associate dean, and the other guy and then just took you on the tour it'd be brilliant.

Can't have imagined anyone discussing the gamsat today in the dissection room what with the brains and women's hands being passed around followed by seeing the inside of the cadaver's face and the box of legs (the polished toenails on the one at the top WTF!!!!!???).

Tbh, if we hadn't got to see all that stuff, I would have been majorly pissed off at the day in general (despite the relatively interesting talks).

Ha ha, I knew someone would post up about that epic moment when we noticed the bright red painted toe-nails on the foot just randomly sticking out of the container of formaldehyde. Dissection lab (altho totally a case of in the right place at the right time) was definately the highlight of the whole day, staff were oddly surprised when this was mentioned. I think most med students are (if slightly morbidly) fascinated by dissections and those who aren't are in the wrong game!
    The day should be shortened though, I agree. I made several attempts to get away...... Mrs Doyle politeness got me no-where.........:)
    All in all a good but long day.
    Also confused about the supposed UL bashing, didnt hear any of that going on today. The associate dean was actually very professional when speaking about the other GEM courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JordyWordy

I was on the UCD tour today and there was no "UL bashing". Did a lecturer say that? Today they said the obvious truth - there's very little between the four GEM courses, you're all grown ups, check out the colleges and make your own mind up, it's a personal decision - and to have a look at their very fancy building, fancy cameras & microphones, and cadavers....

I was impressed overall, staff seemed very nice, swanky building, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭MrsStuffings

Hi Yillian,

Im a serial gamsatter and am currently sitting on a 68. third time of asking and finally nailed the points for rcsi so delighted.

however i must admit that the above comment compelled me to sign up and post.

A friend of mine was in first year UL last year, and dropped out at the end of the year after the summer exams. He decided medicine wasnt for him, but also heeded me a stern warning about even considering going to UL

He assured me that UL medical school is absolutely ridiculous.
    Essentially these people are teaching themselves medicine entirely from scratch, ''wikipedia doctors'' as he put it. he said the very few lectures they got were a joke, complete waste of time.

He said that while PBL is great in theory, in reality it is a joke. People are just going through the motions in there most of the time, with very little actually being learnt. as he said, how can you be taught medicine by people who are only teaching themselves it anyway, and most of the time dont have a clue what they are talking about having only read about it a few hours before class. by christmas he said it was literally just a way to kill a few hours from his day when he wasnt studying.

he actually said anatomy was fine, regardless of the lack of disection, something i personally found hard to comprehend, but nonetheless thats what he said.

and apparently half of the core medical subjects arent even addressed in pbl.
    biochem, microbiology, pharmacology are non existent in the course.

What person in their right mind thinks they can become competent doctors after teaching themsevles off the internet????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

This thread could get interesting. Hope the mods haven't it cleaned up by the time I wake tomorrow.

For someone who signed up to post about studying medicine, I think MrsStuffings was an excellent choice of username

• Advertisement

Im a serial gamsatter and am currently sitting on a 68. third time of asking and finally nailed the points for rcsi so delighted.

however i must admit that the above comment compelled me to sign up and post.

A friend of mine was in first year UL last year, and dropped out at the end of the year after the summer exams. He decided medicine wasnt for him, but also heeded me a stern warning about even considering going to UL

He assured me that UL medical school is absolutely ridiculous.
    Essentially these people are teaching themselves medicine entirely from scratch, ''wikipedia doctors'' as he put it. he said the very few lectures they got were a joke, complete waste of time.

He said that while PBL is great in theory, in reality it is a joke. People are just going through the motions in there most of the time, with very little actually being learnt. as he said, how can you be taught medicine by people who are only teaching themselves it anyway, and most of the time dont have a clue what they are talking about having only read about it a few hours before class. by christmas he said it was literally just a way to kill a few hours from his day when he wasnt studying.

he actually said anatomy was fine, regardless of the lack of disection, something i personally found hard to comprehend, but nonetheless thats what he said.

and apparently half of the core medical subjects arent even addressed in pbl.
    biochem, microbiology, pharmacology are non existent in the course.

What person in their right mind thinks they can become competent doctors after teaching themsevles off the internet????

Hold on a minute- I said absolutely nothing about UCD academics. I was just trying to point out that people making comments about UL when they dont know what they're talking about is unfair, ie you. You didn't go here, your friend's experience was one of a few hundred. He also had nothing to compare it to.

If you type in "medical students using wikipedia" into google you will find thousands of links from Universities worldwide and believe me you will be eating your words come September. The course has changed to incorporate alot of pharmacology, micro and biochem this year. A little bit of micro and biochem is important but its not going to get you an A in your finals, believe me. Yes you need them for USMLE, but we have a course that is taught throughout second year for those sitting USMLE. The whole point of PBL is to eliminate learning things you don't need to know, and that you're going to forget anyway. TCD use an entire PBL approach in their Dental School- are you suggesting that they are incompetent? What about St. George's in the UK and McMaster University in Canada? Have they been churning out incompetent doctors? They use the same course as UL...

I wasn't trying to start an argument, Im merely stating that the way the HEA allocated funds made the heads of the medical school in UCD annoyed and this is maybe why they slag UL sometimes. So you haven't replied to what I said at all, you've just gone on a hearsay rant that is completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

In addition, the HEA has now given UL funding for 90 EU places whereas the other colleges have less than half that in each

I agree with you on most of what you said, but this statement is quite misleading. You're implying that the level of funding is somehow a reflection on the college, it isn't. RCSI dedicated GEP facilities are at capacity, so there's no option for them to accept funding for extra places without building a totally new campus at Sandyford and Blanchardstown. It doesn't mean the HEA think UL are more deserving, or vice versa.

Biologic wrote: »
    I agree with you on most of what you said, but this statement is quite misleading. You're implying that the level of funding is somehow a reflection on the college, it isn't. RCSI dedicated GEP facilities are at capacity, so there's no option for them to accept funding for extra places without building a totally new campus at Sandyford and Blanchardstown. It doesn't mean the HEA think UL are more deserving, or vice versa.

Well put.

As for PBL, there seems to be a general "attitude" towards PBL out there, and while I don't believe UL, St George's, etc are churning out incompetent doctors, I do have enough personal experience of PBL in my previous degree to know I don't want to do most of a course that way. Especially a course that's as demanding as GEM. PBL suits some people, doesn't suit others, and it suits certain subjects, but doesn't suit others.

It's harsh for people to criticise UL solely on the PBL issue, but I completely understand people not wanting to go there because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

JordyWordy wrote: »
    Well put.

As for PBL, there seems to be a general "attitude" towards PBL out there, and while I don't believe UL, St George's, etc are churning out incompetent doctors, I do have enough personal experience of PBL in my previous degree to know I don't want to do most of a course that way. Especially a course that's as demanding as GEM. PBL suits some people, doesn't suit others, and it suits certain subjects, but doesn't suit others.

It's harsh for people to criticise UL solely on the PBL issue, but I completely understand people not wanting to go there because of it.

UL students will be looked down on to some extent.

paraguay99 wrote: »
    UL students will be looked down on to some extent.

Strange words coming from a UL applicant.

Hold on a minute- I said absolutely nothing about UCD academics. I was just trying to point out that people making comments about UL when they dont know what they're talking about is unfair, ie you. You didn't go here, your friend's experience was one of a few hundred. He also had nothing to compare it to.

If you type in "medical students using wikipedia" into google you will find thousands of links from Universities worldwide and believe me you will be eating your words come September. The course has changed to incorporate alot of pharmacology, micro and biochem this year. A little bit of micro and biochem is important but its not going to get you an A in your finals, believe me. Yes you need them for USMLE, but we have a course that is taught throughout second year for those sitting USMLE. The whole point of PBL is to eliminate learning things you don't need to know, and that you're going to forget anyway. TCD use an entire PBL approach in their Dental School- are you suggesting that they are incompetent? What about St. George's in the UK and McMaster University in Canada? Have they been churning out incompetent doctors? They use the same course as UL...

I wasn't trying to start an argument, Im merely stating that the way the HEA allocated funds made the heads of the medical school in UCD annoyed and this is maybe why they slag UL sometimes. So you haven't replied to what I said at all, you've just gone on a hearsay rant that is completely unnecessary.

well tbh i hardly expect a student from UL to admit the flaws in their course. I mean you're opinion is obviously going to be biased with you trying to convince yourself that your money has been well spent, rather than accepting the fact that you're paying 13 grand a year to teach yourself medicine off the internet.

the very fact that you've said biochemistry and microbiology are not important shows your complete ignorance towards the subjects. they underpin everything that goes on inside the body; an understanding of them is essential, hence why medical schools across the world have taught them for decades now.

you mention you've started to incorporate some pharmacology this year? what about the last four medical years from UL? are you saying that they received no pharmacology teaching?! because if so then i can assure you, they will very much be incompetent doctors.

i'm not sure if you're aware of it, but pharmacology and physiology are the two most important subjects you need to know to be a competent doctor. almost everything you do will involve drugs.

physiology you can teach yourself from a book to a certain extent....pharmacology not so much.

and fyi, no, i wont be using wikipedia this september. because in rcsi you are given notes, and lectures and you actually have proper classes where you are taught properly, and hence i wont need to use wikipedia as the main source for my medical learning, and i wont be learning anatomy from a picture book either.

bottom line, UL medicine is a second rate medical education, anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to convince themselves that they've not be taken for a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

There will be people who look down on UL (like pre-meds, for example :rolleyes:) but the proof will be in the pudding. UL graduates coming out soon to dispel myths. They can't be much worse than some of our colleagues working at present.

And as for not using wikipedia - even if the students don't, the lecturers will! Enjoy the moral high ground of uncritically memorizing 'notes' instead of wikipedia entries! :pac:

I love RCSI and I'm very happy with education there so far, but you need a bit of a reality check Stuffings.
    physiology you can teach yourself from a book to a certain extent....pharmacology not so much.

You can, and will. The pharm lecturers in RCSI really know their stuff but you'll still spend more time reading about pharm outside of lectures than you spend actually in pharm lectures.
    and fyi, no, i wont be using wikipedia this september.

You so will. And so will your lecturers for that matter.
    i wont be learning anatomy from a picture book either.

You will. Cadavers are a great way of getting an overall idea of what's going on, but there's only so much you can learn from them. Actually it'll get to the stage where you don't bother with the cadaver for most things.
    UL medicine is a second rate medical education

Even if I did conceed that PBL is pointless (which I don't, but personally I don't like it), UL still do 2 years of clinical placement which will be basically identical to every other college. I don't see how that could make it second rate.

well tbh i hardly expect a student from UL to admit the flaws in their course. I mean you're opinion is obviously going to be biased with you trying to convince yourself that your money has been well spent, rather than accepting the fact that you're paying 13 grand a year to teach yourself medicine off the internet.

the very fact that you've said biochemistry and microbiology are not important shows your complete ignorance towards the subjects. they underpin everything that goes on inside the body; an understanding of them is essential, hence why medical schools across the world have taught them for decades now.

you mention you've started to incorporate some pharmacology this year? what about the last four medical years from UL? are you saying that they received no pharmacology teaching?! because if so then i can assure you, they will very much be incompetent doctors.

i'm not sure if you're aware of it, but pharmacology and physiology are the two most important subjects you need to know to be a competent doctor. almost everything you do will involve drugs.

and fyi, no, i wont be using wikipedia this september. because in rcsi you are given notes, and lectures and you actually have proper classes where you are taught properly, and hence i wont need to use wikipedia as the main source for my medical learning, and i wont be learning anatomy from a picture book either.

bottom line, UL medicine is a second rate medical education, anyone who tells you otherwise is just trying to convince themselves that they've not be taken for a fool.

Your means your, you're means you are. Best of luck in RCSI.

I love RCSI and I'm very happy with education there so far, but you need a bit of a reality check Stuffings.

You can, and will. The pharm lecturers in RCSI really know their stuff but you'll still spend more time reading about pharm outside of lectures than you spend actually in pharm lectures.

You so will. And so will your lecturers for that matter.

You will. Cadavers are a great way of getting an overall idea of what's going on, but there's only so much you can learn from them. Actually it'll get to the stage where you don't bother with the cadaver for most things.

Even if I did conceed that PBL is pointless (which I don't, but personally I don't like it), UL still do 2 years of clinical placement which will be basically identical to every other college. I don't see how that could make it second rate.

Really well put Biologic. I never wanted to badmouth anyone or start this "which college is better" bull. And I didn't want to imply that UL got more funding from the HEA because they deserved it, but because that's what the HEA decided, and as a result, UCD were apparently very annoyed. I totally agree, to each his own, as I said in older posts. Both approaches have their benefits, definitely, and no matter where you go, your head is going to be permanently in the books for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

What an A*****E!!! I think that there is more than a little snobbery involved in this guy's opinion of UL med...but it is really unfair to bash a course like this, a course that he / she has not attended. I think that the friend shows a certain degree of immaturity to start a course like GEM and decide after 1 year "o maybe medicine is not for me"! I have a degree in Biochemistry and an MSc in Pharmacology and yes, I learnt from books, lecture notes the net, science articles, etc...
    At the end of the day, everyone is going to come out with the same qualification and work together as a team (hopefully) and this "I'm better than you" attitude is incredibly immature and counter-productive.
    Anyways, thanks for the info on UL, hoping (and praying) to scrape in on 56...fingers crossed - is there any deadline for loan applications, does anyone know? When is the latest round of CAO offers, would really like to give work 4 weeks notice....
    Best of Luck, everyone, in whatever college you go to!!!

glad to see that your being taught a high standard of english down in limerick, however it wont compensate on the wards for you're absolutely second rate medical knowledge.

best of luck with you're mickey mouse degree down there, and you're exceptional pharmacology knowledge. who knows, you might actually get to see a cadaver when you graduate, and maybe learn some real anatomy instead of looking through a colouring book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

We've got a live one! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭paraguay99

Strange words coming from a UL applicant.

It's the truth though. I'm honest enough to admit it. I'm not sure if PBL is for me or not but I'd rather go to UL than take another year trying to do the GAMSAT. I've read good and bad about PBL but personally I doubt it's effectiveness. Fortunately clinical placements take up the bulk of third and fourth year so I think I could manage two years of PBL... IF I get offered a place on 56! (doubtful!)

best of luck with you're mickey mouse degree down there, and you're exceptional pharmacology knowledge. who knows, you might actually get to see a cadaver when you graduate, and maybe learn some real anatomy instead of looking through a colouring book.

Slow learner too. You're not doing yourself any favours here.

glad to see that your being taught a high standard of english down in limerick, however it wont compensate on the wards for you're absolutely second rate medical knowledge.

Good to see you've got your superiority complex in place before even starting the course... (joke, relax).

My 2 cents on the Wikipedia issue: The doctors I work with freely admit that they have checked things on Wiki (to uhhh....show patients during consults etc, *cough*) and that it's all very accurate, all very detailed, and usually up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

ahahaha! This is a troll! Nobody with that level of English got a 68 on the GAMSAT.
    Don't feed trolls!

Slow learner too. You're not doing yourself any favours here.

its called intentional irony, sarcasm and condescension.....

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

:pac:

Jaysus missus, you're lovely.

• Advertisement

its called intentional irony, sarcasm and condescension.....

Not buying it.

Advertisement