Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Luck in GAMSAT 2011!

Comments

hope you've done plenty of research into that one...

I second/third/fourth/whatever it is at this stage what others have said about you and your ego. God help you MrsStuffings when you are unleashed on the general public in hospitals as a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JordyWordy

Good work on the stats there Yillan:D

Regardless of my score I don't have RCSI top of my list, if that helps you at all. My 1st two choices are UCD & UCC.

I've done so many assumptions and forecasts and permutations and guesses and adjustments and corrections and alterations and presumptions and calculations and subtrations and now my head hurts even thinking about it. I'd rather do another GAMSAT than try predict the scores! There are too many variables for my liking - I just want in!! And I want a bank to hand me lots of cash while I'm there. I can handle eating Koka Noodles for 4 years, and I can handle the debt, I just can't handle the wait!!

So until the 1st week of August I am going to be crossing my fingers, turning my brain off, and wishing the best of luck to everyone on here! (but not to people who don't come on here, of course....) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

hope you've done plenty of research into that one...

Yes of course I've done research on it. I would hardly embark on a new course without researching it first. Luckily I lack the close-mindedness with which you seem to be over-endowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Paella

Anyone up for sharing a place close to UCD next year?
    It's my No.1 pick and I'm sitting on a 71 so I should be getting in. I'm currently working full-time in Dublin and my lease is up this month. I'm debating finding a long-term place now or finding somewhere short-term for the next 3 months and hopefully moving in with some fellow GEMers in September.
    Ugh, hate house hunting and it's not going well (Anyone who knows anywhere free, feel free to drop me a bell! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

Paella wrote: »
    It's my No.1 pick and I'm sitting on a 71 so I should be getting in. I'm currently working full-time in Dublin and my lease is up this month. I'm debating finding a long-term place now or finding somewhere short-term for the next 3 months and hopefully moving in with some fellow GEMers in September.
    Ugh, hate house hunting and it's not going well (Anyone who knows anywhere free, feel free to drop me a bell! :D)

I could very well be. After going to the open day in UCD and talking to people I'm beginning to rethink my 1st choice of RCSI, plus this new news of the fees hike is a real ballache, €16,440 is seriously putting a crunch on the remainder of the loan amount. The fees mentioned today were just under the €14,000 mark (ask Yillan for the details) we were questioning whether this is correct as the hike in fees at RCSI appears to be due to a reduction in the HEA grant. I thought that might follow through in UCD but its only an increase of €750/800. 4*€2,500 is 10,000 which very quickly becomes €18,000 after the interest is applied. Not to be taken on board lightly.

Getting back to the point though, I think it'd be a good idea to get someplace with a few GEP-ers. god knows it'd be depressing to live with my mates with their jobs and their money! It'd be a damn sight easier to keep things cheap if everyone else has to ride along in abject poverty with you. hurrah for impending poverty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Paella wrote: »

Oh my god, you are gonna raise the bar for the cut-offs for UCD with that amazing score! You must be in the 100th percentile!!! :)

Also, up for possibly sharing with fellow GEMers.... Was thinking about moving in with friends but they'd be earning rakeloads and id be eating tinned beans going green with envy. Need people around who share in the agony of poverty and the workload of a 6 year degree squashed into 4 years......

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Bonnieaurstomp

I could very well be. After going to the open day in UCD and talking to people I'm beginning to rethink my 1st choice of RCSI, plus this new news of the fees hike is a real ballache, €16,440 is seriously putting a crunch on the remainder of the loan amount. The fees mentioned today were just under the €14,000 mark (ask Yillan for the details) we were questioning whether this is correct as the hike in fees at RCSI appears to be due to a reduction in the HEA grant. I thought that might follow through in UCD but its only an increase of €750/800. 4*€2,500 is 10,000 which very quickly becomes €18,000 after the interest is applied. Not to be taken on board lightly.

Getting back to the point though, I think it'd be a good idea to get someplace with a few GEP-ers. god knows it'd be depressing to live with my mates with their jobs and their money! It'd be a damn sight easier to keep things cheap if everyone else has to ride along in abject poverty with you. hurrah for impending poverty!

I'm certainly in the same boat. Not completely ruling out RCSI, but the difference in fees is substantial when taken over a 4 year period.

I'm still not certain about the figure for UCD. I dont think any of us bothered to get a definitve answer about that figure yesterday, could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I sent an email to UCD admissions this morning asking the same question in 4 different ways. No reply. I emailed UCC aswell and they replied telling me that the final fees would be confirmed in July. I emailed back re-asking about the HEA grant and if she meant that we wouldn't know what the UCC fees would be til the change of mind forms were in. She said that I should call the admissions office.

In anyways, I looked at the UCD website and for last year it says that the fees were €13,115 after the HEA had contributed €13,845. This year the HEA grant is only €11,000 according to the RCSI website - €2,845 less :o. So if we apply that to the UCD figures we could expect the fees to rise to €15,690 which is more like the fees being quoted by RCSI and less like the €13,915 figure quoted at the open day yesterday.

Now the one potentially saving grace is that due to the extra places in UCD, their costs go down per student. Economies of scale and all that. So the HEA say to UCD that they can have extra places, but we're cutting the grant across the board. Not so nice for those in RCSI as they haven't increased their numbers of places, but good news for those in UCD if you don't mind having 30 to a cadaver (I'm speculating wildly).

Much food for thought there :confused: It does seem like bad form to cut the grant unbeknownst to all of us and just assuming that we have another €3k to spend on graduate medicine, letting us know only after we've sat the gamsat and applied to the cao. Or not letting us know at all as is the case right now. Surely this should be bigger news.

Unless RCSI have gotten it wrong on their website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 mystery1

Yillan wrote: »
    I sent an email to UCD admissions this morning asking the same question in 4 different ways. No reply. I emailed UCC aswell and they replied telling me that the final fees would be confirmed in July. I emailed back re-asking about the HEA grant and if she meant that we wouldn't know what the UCC fees would be til the change of mind forms were in. She said that I should call the admissions office.

In anyways, I looked at the UCD website and for last year it says that the fees were €13,115 after the HEA had contributed €13,845. This year the HEA grant is only €11,000 according to the RCSI website - €2,845 less :o. So if we apply that to the UCD figures we could expect the fees to rise to €15,690 which is more like the fees being quoted by RCSI and less like the €13,915 figure quoted at the open day yesterday.

Now the one potentially saving grace is that due to the extra places in UCD, their costs go down per student. Economies of scale and all that. So the HEA say to UCD that they can have extra places, but we're cutting the grant across the board. Not so nice for those in RCSI as they haven't increased their numbers of places, but good news for those in UCD if you don't mind having 30 to a cadaver (I'm speculating wildly).

Much food for thought there :confused: It does seem like bad form to cut the grant unbeknownst to all of us and just assuming that we have another €3k to spend on graduate medicine, letting us know only after we've sat the gamsat and applied to the cao. Or not letting us know at all as is the case right now. Surely this should be bigger news.

Unless RCSI have gotten it wrong on their website

I'm gutted, can't believe the fees have gone up that much. I could afford GEM based on last years fees etc. but I don't think I'll be able to do it now with this 3K hike :(. Can't believe they didn't tell us prior to GAMSAT. I feel like crying :(

• Advertisement

According to the GAMSAT website the HEA grant in 2010 was €11,800.... so it has only gone down 800 euro???

I noticed that UCD include the €1,500 - 2,000 "student contribution" in the fees quoted, where RCSI add this figure on seperately.... could that account for the price hike?!

I'm looking at figures from 2009 here, but at the same time, it's saying that UCD fees were €13,115 with a grant of €13,845. The UCD website until very recently had these fees up aswell and the GAMSAT website says that for the year 2010/2011 UCD fees were this €13,115 number. So if the HEA grant went down by €2000 last year and UCD absorbed it without increasing their fees at all, I'd be surprised.

There seem to be contradictions all over the place. I just want a reply to my email to UCD to clear all of this up. It's not fair if, as UCC told me, the colleges are not releasing their fees for the year until after the change of mind deadline.

RCSI do include the registration fees in their numbers, but I don't know if the UCD fees include it.

Actually you might be dead right.

If the grant has gone down €800 since last year and UCD fees have gone up €800 that would make sense. So €13,915 + €2000 reg fee = €15,915 + the NUI fees and vaccinations. Not far from €16,440. So that should be that then. I might have betrayed my ignorance here.

From what I can figure out though, UCD included the €1,500 student contribution as part of that €13,115 quote, so you were right it was not added on seperately like with RCSI

If you look at UCDs fees for last year they say that all figures include the €1500 and the student centre levy of €154

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/undergraduate.htm

The plot thinkens..... ;)

Please let me/us know what UCD say back to you.... this whole financing process is one stressful time when we are in the dark!

Yillan wrote: »

If the grant has gone down €800 since last year and UCD fees have gone up €800 that would make sense. So €13,915 + €2000 reg fee = €15,915 + the NUI fees and vaccinations. Not far from €16,440. So that should be that then. I might have betrayed my ignorance here.

Don't scare too many people yet. On the open day the lady from admissions in UCD said that the NUI fee and the student contribution of 2,000 were included in that figure.

I'll try ring the admissions office for both college's in a bit and get a concrete figure. It's too easy for them to swat away our emails.

Don't scare too many people yet. On the open day the lady from admissions in UCD said that the NUI fee and the student contribution of 2,000 were included in that figure.

I'll try ring the admissions office for both college's in a bit and get a concrete figure. It's too easy for them to swat away our emails.

I'm getting all caught up in the hysteria. Give them hell Niall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

RCSI
    Tuition Fees 25780
    HEA Grant -11000
    RCSI Grant -1200
    Tuition Payable 13,580
    Student Contribution Fee 2000
    IT Fee 475
    Vaccination Fee (first year only) 250
    NUI (first year only) 135
    Student Centre Levy n/a
    TOTAL 16,440

UCD
    Tuition Fees
    HEA Grant
    RCSI Grant
    Tuition Payable 13,915
    Student Contribution Fee n/a
    IT Fee n/a
    Vaccination Fee (first year only) 230
    NUI (first year only) n/a
    Student Centre Levy 154
    TOTAL 14,299

Will people please add in UL and UCC ( i dont have figures), this would be very helpful for applicants. Also we could compare the loan packages in a similar manner

• Advertisement

I just got details of this years AIB offerings. I have emailed all the major banks with exactly the same questions and awaiting a response, I only did it this morning but AIB were quick off the mark.

Perhaps we should start a thread solely concerned with course cost/financing with figures only for the coming year???

Perhaps a mod should do this as I can't seem to edit my posts if they are more than a day old which wouldn't be very helpful for keeping the info at the top of the thread.

A reply to my email to UCD admissions:
    Sorry for the delay in replying to your query. This delay is due to the fact that UCD has not confirmed the fees for GEM for the coming year. I would suspect that the fees will go up somewhat as as you pointed out the HEA cuts are due to kick in this year. The School of Medicine and Medical science have said they will e-mail me with the confirmed fees as soon as they become available (over the next day or so) and as soon as I have them I will e-mail you.

So in the next couple of days we should know. It seems that there was no small amount of misinformation at that UCD Open Day. Not ideal really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Er, I might be missing something, but if the fees go slightly up would it be a bit rude to tell UCD to go sort out GEM loans that are slightly bigger?

edit..i'm presuming the grad med schools are in regular contact with the banks regarding grad med loans.

Based on the information on the UCD web-site, I'm 99.9% certain that the tuition fee includes both the student centre levy and student contribution fee.

If the HEA grant has dropped by only €800, then I can only assume that the hike in the fees figure for RCSI is mainly down to an increase in their overall tuition fees figure.

I'm gonna remain optimistic regarding the final figure for UCD.

UCD will have nothing to do with the banks. They have stated quite clearly that loans are a matter between the student and the bank.

I was in contact with the girl from AIB who looks after the UCD loans today and the overall amount is still €25,000 per year, they actually said that was to be made up of €12,500 fees and the same amount of expenses.

I explained that currently fees were in the €14,200 region but all she could say was that they would consider n an individual basis letting you draw down some of the €12,500 assigned for living expenses to cover that as long as the total was under €25,000 per year. Looks like we'll all be working the late shift at Supermac's!

On the plus side the total rate quoted by AIB for the first for years of our loan was 4.052% which is very reasonable. This is made up of AIB's variable base rate plus a 1.5%funding premium plus a 1.2%margin. That's a decent rate and even if we draw down the full amount should see us only owing €110,000 by the end of the four years, which is not as much interest as I had expected (but on the other had ebough to pay for a small apartment).
    Providing of course none of us have starved to death by the end of the four years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Annaroberts22

Hi guys,

Just a quick question regarding loans since many of you seem to know a bit about the banks especially AIB. Is the GEM loan offered to all EU applicants including UK applicants? Looking at the terms of the AIB loan, they always use the word EU and never really limit it to just irish citizens but I haven't really been able to confirm this. I would appreciate some advice on this if any of you are EU applicants or happen to know about this.

Hi guys,

Just a quick question regarding loans since many of you seem to know a bit about the banks especially AIB. Is the GEM loan offered to all EU applicants including UK applicants? Looking at the terms of the AIB loan, they always use the word EU and never really limit it to just irish citizens but I haven't really been able to confirm this. I would appreciate some advice on this if any of you are EU applicants or happen to know about this.

I don't know off had but I heard that you needed to have lived in Ireland for a while. I think you best ask the bank themselves. I'll pm you an email address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tradesmann

Hi guys

Just a query about course choice changes.

Can I still add/remove/change the order of my choices eg ucc, ucd, limerick and rcsi up until 1 July? Struggling to decide whether to put ucc or ucd first its so hard to know.

Thanks for your help

D

Tradesmann wrote: »
    Hi guys

Just a query about course choice changes.

Can I still add/remove/change the order of my choices eg ucc, ucd, limerick and rcsi up until 1 July? Struggling to decide whether to put ucc or ucd first its so hard to know.

Thanks for your help

D
    Ya we have until the deadline of 5PM on the 1st of July to rejig them.

I changed mine a few days ago.

as did I.... I've now UCD first because I'm reckoning it'll be the cheapest ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Hi guys

just so you know, Bank of Ireland will give you 2,000 at the beginning of 2nd and 3rd year and 2,500 euro at the beginning of 4th year - it's a no-questions loan with no repayments til we graduate for 'preferred faculties' i.e. medicine and veterinary (the chap in the bank told me it used to include law, pharmacy and others but not anymore) so if you're worried about the squeeze you can add that in. I'll be taking it from September just in case.

also, in RCSI we have our own kitchen in Sandyford and a lot of people brought in leftovers/made soup/left cereal (free milk. tea and coffee) so during the week you would find that food didn't cost a lot at all. All you need is a lunchbox! The Luas is 48 euro per month with the student travelcard so transport for most of us was 12 quid a week. You will learn quickly to volunteer other people's flats for house parties and show up to free nightclubs or use the RCSI card for free entry at a lot of them (student council organises this a lot at various clubs, word gets around) and dance for free once merry. We have a great social life and the girls all live in Penney's.

Just trying to draw some of the defectors back over to RCSI side ;)

What kind of a laptop did people get last year in RCSI? I'm on the cusp of buying a new one, but might wait to see if I get into RCSI, if the one on offer there is in any way decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Could be wrong but I think they're using HP laptops

After going from Peter to Paul, I think I have as concrete an answer as I'm getting from UCD before the change of mind deadline.
    "UCD wrote:
    Unfortunately a full and confirmed breakdown of fees is not yet available as several authorities have yet to fully confirm the amount they will or will not contribute and UCD are finalising their own overall levies for students. The most recent update we have is that the amount payable by EU students should be approximately €13915, but until it is fully finalised I cannot guarantee what the exact final amount will be. We have been told that the amount should be available and published sometime in July.

Cheers for that Yillan; much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 DermotMurphy1

I feel as though I'm arriving at this thread very late but I'd appreciate what anyone has to say. I got a 59 in GAMSAT 2011. I'm from Limerick, so UL would suit me. Is it possible I'll be offered a place there or should I book my place for UK GAMSAT in Sept?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wilhelmet

I feel as though I'm arriving at this thread very late but I'd appreciate what anyone has to say. I got a 59 in GAMSAT 2011. I'm from Limerick, so UL would suit me. Is it possible I'll be offered a place there or should I book my place for UK GAMSAT in Sept?

Hey DermotMurphy1, I wouldn't worry at all if I were you, 59 should pretty much guarantee you a place. UL closed on a 56* last year, so you should walk it.

UL is increasing places from 70 to 95 this year. There's been a 10% drop in all GEM applicants (from 760 to 680) and an increase in places (47 in total across the board) which gives a total drop in real 'place demand' of 127 compared to last year. Like I said, nothing is ever guaranteed, but if anything, the entrance score will probably drop for UL (possibly the others too).

(Places: RCSI = 30, UCD = 77, UCC = 25, UL = 95)

Total GEM Places = 227 (equals exactly 33.3% of all applicants, a great number)
    Total GEM Applicants = 680 (therefore 453 will miss out)

Therefore: 453/680 = 0.665 x 100 = 66.5%percentile. So, judging by this years Gamsat Curve, everyone with a 55-56 and above should get a place somewhere. (this still doesn't include people with UK scores from september, but I can't see that being too big a factor)

I did these calcs for a different thread, so obviously if someone disagrees, feel free to correct me... : )

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DermotMurphy1

Thanks a lot for that Wilhelmet. It really helped. I'd convinced myself that there was no chance of my getting a place, based on no real evidence. I have hope now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neurodegenerate

Wilhelmet wrote: »
    Hey DermotMurphy1, I wouldn't worry at all if I were you, 59 should pretty much guarantee you a place. UL closed on a 56* last year, so you should walk it.

UL is increasing places from 70 to 95 this year. There's been a 10% drop in all GEM applicants (from 760 to 680) and an increase in places (47 in total across the board) which gives a total drop in real 'place demand' of 127 compared to last year. Like I said, nothing is ever guaranteed, but if anything, the entrance score will probably drop for UL (possibly the others too).

(Places: RCSI = 30, UCD = 77, UCC = 25, UL = 95)

Total GEM Places = 227 (equals exactly 33.3% of all applicants, a great number)
    Total GEM Applicants = 680 (therefore 453 will miss out)

Therefore: 453/680 = 0.665 x 100 = 66.5%percentile. So, judging by this years Gamsat Curve, everyone with a 55-56 and above should get a place somewhere. (this still doesn't include people with UK scores from september, but I can't see that being too big a factor)

I did these calcs for a different thread, so obviously if someone disagrees, feel free to correct me... : )

Hey wilhelmet! Really like those calculations you did very much appreciated! Just about applicants with a UK score - I'm using my score from London 2009 - a long long time ago! (And yes, it's valid before anyone tells me i'm ineligable:p) I know lots of people who are applying with scores from either last sept in london or prior, so I wouldn't knock us! I'd say there are plenty of applicants know with scores from outside the march sitting. I did it in 09 just because I had the time to study whereas I knew that trying to do it in the final year of my degree probably wouldn't work out too well maybe thats where all these applicants are coming from?! Anyway also hoping scores don't rise/nosedive instead!:D

I second that. I'm applying with a UK score which places me in high percentile. I just hope the increase in places and decreased number of applicants will offset the effect of those like neurodegenerate and myself applying with UK scores. I really hope all those with a decent score get a place!

Only a few weeks left now folks *cue dramatic music*

Yay!! I agree! Lots of dramatic music needed for the next few weeks. I'm so excited to find out! Where would you like to go EugeneOnegin?!

I'm still undecided I like all the courses but I know I def. don't want RCSI.

I've a great draw towards UL, as I've talked to A LOT of clinicians and med. students who think the UL course is the best thing since sliced bread.

Then again, I'm just finished my undergrad. in UCC and I did enjoy my time there. Hmm I need a magic eight ball.

How about yourself?

Haha magic eight ball would be very handy! I was at the UL open day and I liked the look of it and all those campus bars were a lot better than ucds!:P I did my undergrad in ucd and i'd also be happy to go back there cos I loved it too! Cork sounds amazing with the small class size and cork is such a great place. I have UCD, UCC and UL anyway on cao I'll be delighted with anywhere basically this has been a long time coming..!!

Hey wilhelmet! Really like those calculations you did very much appreciated! Just about applicants with a UK score - I'm using my score from London 2009 - a long long time ago! (And yes, it's valid before anyone tells me i'm ineligable:p) I know lots of people who are applying with scores from either last sept in london or prior, so I wouldn't knock us! I'd say there are plenty of applicants know with scores from outside the march sitting. I did it in 09 just because I had the time to study whereas I knew that trying to do it in the final year of my degree probably wouldn't work out too well maybe thats where all these applicants are coming from?! Anyway also hoping scores don't rise/nosedive instead!:D

Hey Neuro,

Thanks for the reply. I myself am applying with a score from Sep 2010, so I definitely wasn't knocking anyone/myself. What I was implying was that the overall number of people doing that versus the amount of people who took the test in 2011 would not be so great as to make a big difference (ie; using your example, a decent number of people taking the exam in 2011 won't be using it for entrance this year either, like you did in the past).

But I was mainly referring to Dermot applying to UL, which closed on a 56 last year. With the 59 he has, UL would have to go up by 3/4 points to 60 to deny him a place, which isn't really realistic, especially with an increase in places and an overall decrease in applicants. Yeah RCSI jumped a couple points last year, but it only has a static 30 places, and is in Dublin.....so demand will always be higher, also, applicant numbers were up. UL has almost 100 places this year, and as a city is generally less sought after than Dublin or Cork (no offence to Limerick intended).

Anyway, it's all speculation for now, but it's nice to ease the nerves of a fellow 'waitee' who was probably worrying unnecessarily, especially for UL with a 59. Getting exciting that the time is coming closer, and hope you all get where you want...

• Advertisement

:)Oh sorry, I see what you mean now! Yes you're right I forgot about people doing the test this year and using it for the future!:rolleyes: yeah dermot will definitely get into UL:) they said at the open day if you've 58 and above you can start packing basically!

Haha magic eight ball would be very handy! I was at the UL open day and I liked the look of it and all those campus bars were a lot better than ucds!:P I did my undergrad in ucd and i'd also be happy to go back there cos I loved it too! Cork sounds amazing with the small class size and cork is such a great place. I have UCD, UCC and UL anyway on cao I'll be delighted with anywhere basically this has been a long time coming..!!

Hey Neuro,

While you were in UL, did you get any idea of how the new Medical Building is coming along? I've seen artists impressions of it, and it looks lovely, but I heard the contractors went broke, and construction has stopped, meaning completion is delayed. Would love to hear if you saw anything. Many thanks.. W : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Jaysus this waiting around is killing me - 38 more days to go !

Similar to Wilhelmet and Neuro, im applying with a score achieved in UK Sept 2010. Please God the number of people utilising previous scores isnt too great to cause an increase in points for UCD/RCSI.

My thinking on the whole issue of previous scores is that it is pretty much a constant - each year, a proportion of people will apply with scores achieved in previous sittings and the percentile curves have not changed dramatically in last 2 years.

Last year, there was a very small increase in places (UL) and points didnt increase substantially (bar RCSI). The fact that there are fewer applicants this year ( whether these are people who sat the March Exam or the Sept Exam in UK is unknown) and a large increase in places in UCD and UL gives me hope that points are not going to change substantially.

Wilhelmet - in relation to your question about UL's Med Building - the project is stalled at the moment. The builder originally commissioned to construct the building went into recievership after constructing only the shell of the building. The problem at present relates to who takes responsibility for the work already done. UL want whatever builder who comes in to be responsible for all work done in constructing the building while the interested builders are unwilling to accept any potential liability on work already done by a different builder - from my understanding and what people have told me, this dispute is what is holding up construction but it should be sorted before the end of the year.

The reality is that we have a significant less number of applicants (people who sat Gamsat in UK 2010 and Ire 2011) compared to last year

Yeah back to the alma mater eh? I'm still considering whether that's a good thing or a bad thing :D To be honest though, all the courses have their pros and cons. I'm sure, wherever we get (assuming we do!!!) we'll settle in pas problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Well we're one step closer to the end with the final closure of the change of mind today. Hurry up with the offers!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

Offers out 3rd Aug. I mailed CAO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 melanie87

MedGal wrote: »
    Offers out 3rd Aug. I mailed CAO.

So just over 4 weeks?

I feel sick thinking about it!

Hey ya'll,

Wonder if I could ask for an opinion. One of my friends caught up with me over the weekend only to tell me they got a 58 in GAMSAT and are applying only to UCD and RCSI. I didn't want to be too negative when chatting to her, but what do you think? Is there chance for her getting UCD? I don't know much about the UCD course either tbh as I'm set on staying in Munster.

Any information/opinions on the matter???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Hey ya'll,

Wonder if I could ask for an opinion. One of my friends caught up with me over the weekend only to tell me they got a 58 in GAMSAT and are applying only to UCD and RCSI. I didn't want to be too negative when chatting to her, but what do you think? Is there chance for her getting UCD? I don't know much about the UCD course either tbh as I'm set on staying in Munster.

I'd be suprised, her problem if she doesn't apply to the other schools :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭del85

Hey ya'll,

Her chances aren't great.

I have a 60, and I'm not holding out much hope for Dublin.

I've just received an email from UL about their scholarship programme. I would have liked to applied but I can't see how I can given it's 3rd on my list of choices, but I expect to get offered my first choice.

It's leaving it very late by UL, they've requested forms be sent in by 29th July only days before the first round offers come out. Does this mean that only those that accept an offer with UL will then be considered? I definitely would go to UL if I could get a grant (I'd go anyways if I was offered a place). It's a bit sh!t. anyway here's the text of the email
    Dear Applicant,
    We note that you have expressed a preference through the CAO for LM101 Graduate Entry Medicine at the University of Limerick.
    We are writing to inform you about the UL Graduate Entry Medical School Scholarship Scheme 2011. This Scheme is targeted at socio-economically disadvantaged students applying for the Graduate Entry Medical Programme in 2011.
    The criteria considered under this Scheme are inter-alia: under-represented socio-economic groups in higher education, social welfare dependence and limited family income. Further information about the Scholarship Scheme is available on the Graduate Entry Medical School’s web site at: www.ul.ie/medicalschool
    If you believe you meet the above criteria and wish to be considered for the Graduate Entry Medical School Scholarship Scheme, you must complete the application form which is available to download from the Graduate Entry Medical School website www.ul.ie/medicalschool . Completed forms must be received via email to medicalschool@ul.ie or via post to Scholarship Programme, Graduate Entry Medical School, E1-025, University of Limerick, Limerick by 5pm Friday July 29 2011. LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
    Please note that all applicants to LM101 are being contacted in relation to this scholarship regardless of whether they satisfy minimum entry and GAMSAT requirements. This email has no bearing on the determination of your eligibility for admission to LM101. The assessment of your application is based on the detail you provided to the Central Applications Office (CAO) who communicate with you separately in relation to same.
    Kind regards
    Scholarship Committee
    UL Graduate Entry Medical School
    Room E1-025
    Email: medicalschool@ul.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement