Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who pays for plumber in rent to buy?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

My girlfriend is living in a rent to buy house and she needs a plumber to fix an overflow problem with the water tank. She went to the estate agents managing the estate (all rent to buy) and they said that she would have to get the plumber and pay him herself (despite them having gotten the plumber out before and paying for it). Does anyone know if they are legally obliged to organise and pay for repairs to the property given that my gf is a tenant and not an owner?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Repairs

The landlord is obliged to carry out repairs except where damage beyond normal wear and tear has been caused by the tenant.

If there are serious problems, which pose health or safety risks, such as vermin, problems with water, sewage or electrical or structural problems, contact your local authority.

http://www.threshold.ie/page.asp?menu=70&page=240

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Repairs

The landlord is obliged to carry out repairs except where damage beyond normal wear and tear has been caused by the tenant.

The big problem here is that there is not a traditional landlord-tenant relationship. Legally, despite the name of the scheme, the person is purchasing the property (normally at a pre-determined price), but is being allowed live in the property for a period of time, and the 'rent' they are paying for this privilege, is being considered a deposit by the builder/developer.

It would be very interesting to see this argued in court- as far as I know there is no case law in this area at the moment.

S.

Advertisement