Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I get another guinea pig?

• 24-03-2011 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Today one of my two guinea pigs died. Now the one that is left is squealing and very unhappy without his buddy. Should I get another one for company for him or will I run the risk of fights occurring. I presume the little guy that is left is really lonely because he has always had the other guy for company. What do you suggest I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I'm really sorry you lost your guinea pig :(

What age is your other one? If it's grown up then he would probably take well to a baby guinea pig. It's definitely worth a try because he'd be so much happier with company :) Male guinea pigs usually do get along, so it's worth a try I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭CuteStuff

I think I might try him with a young one. He's squealing now every time he is left in the room by himself. Poor little thing. He must be so lonely.

I can't believe how upset I am losing a little guinea pig. I really shouldn't get so attached but I can't help myself! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

Aw they're lovely little animals, it's good to get attached though, it just shows you care.

I had one guinea pig alone after her friend died of old age, and she was really lonely but as soon as she got two new friends she was so happy to see them :)

You could check http://irishguineapigs.findtalk.net/ there might be some guinea pigs near where you live, or you could just chat about your guinea pigs and stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

To help prevent fights occuring do things like introduce on netural ground, wash them both so they smell the same first etc. http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7774468_introduce-baby-guinea-pig-adult.html gives a good outline of how to do it and http://jackiesguineapiggies.com/Companionship.html discusses behaviour and introductions. Good luck! I'm sure he'll be happy with a new friend. Mine get upset if I take one out for 10 mins to give medication or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

CuteStuff, did you ever get another one?

• Advertisement

Hi

We got another guinea pig but the introductions didn't go too well ...

So they are currently in two separate cages side by side... They talk to one another and look into one another but when I put them together (neutral ground) they clatter teeth and fight. So I dunno.... They are awful funny and although the two cage thing isn't ideal they seem to like it.

Any ideas folks or just leave them to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

Doing it right, give them plenty of time to get used to each others smells and sounds! Quarantine for the new arrival is prob a good idea too.
    What happened your other GP? Make sure you disinfect everything well just in-case it was some class of infection.

everything disinfected....

Looked like the little piggie died of some sort of infection. :(

They are actually very amusing to watch.. peeping into one another and chirping to one another. I get a great laugh out of them. I just hope they are happy

Advertisement