Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dry dog food, your thoughts please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    What do you guys think of Fish for Dogs? My mum feeds that to our dogs and since they started on it, their coat is absolutely amazing, poos are all solid and easy to pick up and they really love it (though I'd say our dogs would love any food really) We have friends up north so we buy it with them to get the discount of buying in bulk and get it delivered to them to cut delivery costs then we collect it when we are at a show together (or whenever we go up there to visit family). Plus, we don't have to feed them that much so it lasts forever

Very good food, I used to feed Kronch, which was salmon based and very similar, but the supplier in Ireland stopped stocking it, so we stopped using it:( I have only ever heard good things about Fish For Dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Yay! Good stuff. No one I talk to has ever heard of it so I never knew if it was better or worse than the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nudag

Anyone heard anything about http://www.oscars.co.uk/ ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    What do you guys think of Fish for Dogs?

My two go crackers for the fish for dogs treats. They stink but they love them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

trio wrote: »
    Just on the subject of the Red Mills Leader - that's what we're feeding ours on at the moment but he farts constantly - real stinkers too! - and his poos are a bit watery (and bizarrely yellow!).

We're going to use up our 15kg bag as there's about 1/3 left, but after that we're switching.

Why are some foods "fartier" than others? What ingredient should I be looking out for to combat that?

And also, is there any ingredient that has an effect on a dog's temperment?

We had the fart problem with Red Mills Leader, and it seemed to be all the dogs that were on it, no dodgy poos really (the odd one maybe) but there was quite a lot of it. Changing food is probably the best option.

The "fartiness" of the food really depends on your own dog - some dogs have issues with some foods and others don't. Quite a lot of dogs have issues with grains (wheat, corn etc,) so avoiding these is a good idea. If you dog has a bit of a sensitive belly, try a food that is gentle (Burns and James Wellbeloved both come to mind) and you'll prob see a big difference in a short period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

On the Red Mills subject. The only ones I saw today were Red Mills Star and Red Mills Winner in the blue bag. I know the Star one is a big no no after this thread but they didn't stock Leader or Leader Supreme as mentioned here. Any thoughts on Red Mills Winner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

What I can't fathom is that back in the day, we had a few pure bred dogs, GSD, etc (we didn't pay for them, we had a few relatives who would breed them occasionally and we would take a pup) and we used to feed these dogs Winalot, Pedigree Chum both dried and wet food, and it never knocked a stir out of them. I know this because I was scooping up dog poop from an early age and it never looked anything other than 'normal'.

Now I have three dogs of very dubious parentage and they have the most sensitive stomachs I've ever come across! It can't have maize or additives or they're completely out of sorts. It amuses me, is what I'm saying.

Also, you'd know we were all dog owners here because there aren't many places you can go around describing your dog's bowel movements without being asked to promptly leave and never come back! ;)

LucyBliss wrote: »
    What I can't fathom is that back in the day, we had a few pure bred dogs, GSD, etc (we didn't pay for them, we had a few relatives who would breed them occasionally and we would take a pup) and we used to feed these dogs Winalot, Pedigree Chum both dried and wet food, and it never knocked a stir out of them. I know this because I was scooping up dog poop from an early age and it never looked anything other than 'normal'.

Now I have three dogs of very dubious parentage and they have the most sensitive stomachs I've ever come across! It can't have maize or additives or they're completely out of sorts. It amuses me, is what I'm saying.

Also, you'd know we were all dog owners here because there aren't many places you can go around describing your dog's bowel movements without being asked to promptly leave and never come back! ;)

First off :pac: brilliant.

I know what you mean, our dog when I was growing up was fed tinned food with a handful of biscuits, my Dad also gave him a piece of toast every morning. He lived till he was 15 and the only time he was at the vets except for vaccs was when my Dad accidentally hit him in the mouth with a golf club - the dog used to go and get the balls back. I do think that it shows how many additives are in all complete food. If we do manage to sell our house move to the UK I am going to switch my lot onto barf, easier to source over there I think.

It was also pointed out to me a while ago that the white, chalky dog poos that used to be around the place when I was younger was because of the meat and bones that dogs used to eat then, you seldom seem that kind of poo anymore, unless you're feeding raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Daisy! wrote: »
    On the Red Mills subject. The only ones I saw today were Red Mills Star and Red Mills Winner in the blue bag. I know the Star one is a big no no after this thread but they didn't stock Leader or Leader Supreme as mentioned here. Any thoughts on Red Mills Winner?

It isnt much better than the Star really, still a very low grade, low quality food and i wouldnt recommend it at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Thank you all for contributing, have passed all the information to my sister and she is deciding what to do taking all your advice into consideration ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Just to say we've switched our two to Robbies, as Sindy decided that she wasn't going to eat James Well beloved anymore unless I mixed in a mixer, which as her allergies flare at this time of year I didn't want to. So I contacted Robbies and asked for a sample, which both dogs wolfed down, then I went and bought a small bag which I am currently mixing with the James wellbeloved and it is being loved.
    Fargo is a great little eater, but Sindy has always been fussy and could eat only once a day for a couple of days then have a good day, then very little the next. Now we've had 5 good days in a row. It is stinky, but I assume that' what they like. :-) It also takes time to prepare as it's dehydrated but poops are fine, the list of ingredients reads like a recipe for our own dinner, nothing weird or wonderful, and they are both in great form.
    Hopefully it will continue. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Got some Orijen this week, bloody expensive but rated as a 6 star dog food by dogfoodanalysis.com. Will see how he gets on with it (£32stg in Newry)

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Got some Orijen this week, bloody expensive but rated as a 6 star dog food by dogfoodanalysis.com. Will see how he gets on with it (£32stg in Newry)

Wow, was that for a 15kg bag? That is very cheap for Orijen if it is.

ISDW wrote: »
    Wow, was that for a 15kg bag? That is very cheap for Orijen if it is.

I think its a 12.5k bag of the Fishy one

I think its a 12.5k bag of the Fishy one

Whoops. Wrong price and weight
    7kg 6 Fish adult food £38.99
    13kg 6 fish adult food £66.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

barbiegirl wrote: »
    It also takes time to prepare as it's dehydrated but poops are fine, the list of ingredients reads like a recipe for our own dinner, nothing weird or wonderful, and they are both in great form.

Thats why I switched to Luath - the kibble version.. I used to forget to soak it overnight and a 5 min wait in the morning didn't go down too well lol! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

For anyone in the North Dublin area, I was in at the Kinsealy Pet Store yesterday getting dog food and they have some good bargains in there at the moment on food. Some of the Red Mills are two for one and there's €15 off some of the Orijen and Hills range.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    For anyone in the North Dublin area, I was in at the Kinsealy Pet Store yesterday getting dog food and they have some good bargains in there at the moment on food. Some of the Red Mills are two for one and there's €15 off some of the Orijen and Hills range.

Called them today and they don't stock Orijen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

What's the difference pricewise say between Red Mills Leader and James Wellbeloved? Have been feeding on Leader and but the dog has a ridiculously sensitive tummy:( and is sick a lot so I think we need to change to see if it makes any difference.

littlebug wrote: »
    What's the difference pricewise say between Red Mills Leader and James Wellbeloved? Have been feeding on Leader and but the dog has a ridiculously sensitive tummy:( and is sick a lot so I think we need to change to see if it makes any difference.

Red Mills Leader is about €40 (from what I remember) for a 15kg bag, James Wellbeloved is usually €55 for the same amount. Personally, I would feed JWB over the RM Leader if you have a dog with a sensitive belly - for my guys, the farts were shocking on the Leader and the poo production was increased quite a bit (no diarrhoea or anything, just more of it!) but they did ok. If you do change, do it gradually so that the dogs stomach has time to adjust to the new food. I feed JWB regularly and it's worth every penny!

Another choice for a sensitive belly is Burns, some people swear by it and I feed it regularly (I tend to feed a variety of foods) and my lot do well on this too. It's around the €55 mark for a 15kg bag. This size bag lasts quite a while with either JWB or Burns though (esp with one dog).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Our dog Sindy also had a very sensitve tummy, she had been on SciencePlan, since she changed originally to JWB and now Robbies (both hypoallergenic) she has not had any problems at all. I paid about €48 for a big bag of JWB in the pet store in Carrickmines.

What sort of dog is it? I know that with Siberian huskies it is incredibly easy to overfeed them, then they get the runs etc.

Something to bear in mind is that even though the 'better' foods may seem more expensive, they actually aren't really, as you feed less than you do the cheaper foods, so the bag lasts longer although the initial outlay is more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

cracking offer on James Wellbeloved right now www.zooplus.co.uk

15kgs + 3 kgs free per pag

bought 2 bags applied coupon code STOCK-UP to save 5%

TOTAL PRICE £76.93 INC DELIVERY FOR 36 KILOS

works out about €2.53 per kilo
    This food retails at 6 kilos a kilo in pet shops if you buy small bags or €4.50 per kilo if you buy 15 kilo bags

cracking offer in my opinion. My cocker spaniels will be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ISDW wrote: »
    What sort of dog is it? I know that with Siberian huskies it is incredibly easy to overfeed them, then they get the runs etc.

Something to bear in mind is that even though the 'better' foods may seem more expensive, they actually aren't really, as you feed less than you do the cheaper foods, so the bag lasts longer although the initial outlay is more.

She's a Kerry Blue cross. She's not overfed, has no interest in food at all til late afternoon or evening:confused:, some days her tummy gurgles and rumbles like mad all day and sometimes she'll go out and eat grass to make herself sick. It's vomit sick rather than runs (seems normal at that end for the most part :o). This morning she brought up a lot, i'd say all of last nights feed:( which is unusual. She's been sensitive since we got her, but I think is worse since spayed a month ago and I actually think she's lost weight. Chicken and rice will see her right for a couple of days but then the cycle starts again. I'll try JWB and consider vet visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I feed Robbies and it's excellent. I've used numerous foods over the years but I've never noticed such a difference as I have with this food.

I started on it as I'd heard people raving about it and my girl developed the itchies. Up to then she'd been eating Redmills. Switch the food and her coat looks better, poo's are perfect, she's in great form all the time and has loads of energy. She used to shed all year round and now she hardly does at all and of course no more itching. I'll never use anything else ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have mine on Whites and I find it really good. The customer service is fantastic too. I used to get the budget food from Brenda's pets (which was fantastic quality at €36 per 15kg) but that's been out of stock since Christmas, which forced my change to Whites (€38 per 15kg).

My brother feeds Bakers to his dog and a more neurotic, hyper animal I've never come across. Many people who've reported behaviour problems like hyperactivity seem to feed Bakers.

She's a Kerry Blue cross. She's not overfed, has no interest in food at all til late afternoon or evening:confused:, some days her tummy gurgles and rumbles like mad all day and sometimes she'll go out and eat grass to make herself sick. It's vomit sick rather than runs (seems normal at that end for the most part :o). This morning she brought up a lot, i'd say all of last nights feed:( which is unusual. She's been sensitive since we got her, but I think is worse since spayed a month ago and I actually think she's lost weight. Chicken and rice will see her right for a couple of days but then the cycle starts again. I'll try JWB and consider vet visit.

The stomach noises, lack of interest in food and vomiting (both induced - probably due to pain in her stomach - and non induced) indicates some sort of food intolerance and IMO your dog will need to be seen by a vet.

One of my dogs has problems with grains in foods, but it comes out the back end as opposed to the front, and she had the same kind of problems you dog is having. She is now on Royal Canin Sensitivity Control (a prescription food) because all brands we tried with her (and there were a hell of a lot!) causes issues, bar this one. It's pricey and doesn't smell the best but it has worked wonders. She also gets colitis and it hasn't irritated her bowel at all. We tried everything we could think of and were in and out of the vets with bloody poos, weight loss etc. and the RC food really solved everything. I recommend it without hesitation - worth it's weight in gold!

Called them today and they don't stock Orijen.

Oh sorry I must have gotten that wrong, it was a name with an O but can't remember so just presumed it was Orijen. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Leader Supreme still 2 for 1 today when I went in but didn't see signs on the Hills so not sure if that deal is still on or not.

kylith wrote: »
    I have mine on Whites and I find it really good. The customer service is fantastic too. I used to get the budget food from Brenda's pets (which was fantastic quality at €36 per 15kg) but that's been out of stock since Christmas, which forced my change to Whites (€38 per 15kg).

My brother feeds Bakers to his dog and a more neurotic, hyper animal I've never come across. Many people who've reported behaviour problems like hyperactivity seem to feed Bakers.

Yeah most agressive and hyper dogs we used to have in to the Vets were fed on Bakers. Most people believe those TV ads unfortunately. They're full of sugar and additives, no wonder it drives dogs mental. Try and get your brother to change if you can, I wouldn't let my dog near that rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

I am delighted to read all the posts about the best dog food. My dog (11 month old springer/cocker spaniel) has had so much problems with diarrohea, straining to go etc that seems totally related to her food. When we got her we put her on Select Gold and Natures best from Maxi Zoo. But looking back (and as the vet confirmed have been to him every month since we got her) her stomach has never been right, to the point she could spend all day straining to go and then when she did there would be blood in it. The first couple of months vet claimed she got a "bug" and sure enough the antibiotics would clear it up. Then I was told the protein in Select Gold is way to high and that is what is causing her stomach upset. On the advice of a qualified trainer last week I started introducing, wait for it.... pedigree chum, mixing it in with the Prescription Science plan that she is on for her current bout of colitis. While I know what everyone thinks of Pedigree I am desperate to try and get something that agrees with her. At the moment it seems to be going very well, but if I deviate at all from the science plan/chum it sets her stomach off again. Hate the idea of giving her pedigree so has anyone any advice. I cant keep switching foods on her and need to get this sorted. Otherwise she is a happy very springy springer/cocker. Thanks for reading :)

Advertisement