Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video and Sound Technology

Options
  • 24-03-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi am a LC student interested in studying video. Anybody out there doin this course? Any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Finished it last year. It has some good facilities and some ok and some crappy lecturers. You will use Avid Media Composer and it will depend on your own work ethic how good you get at it. But in my opinion it's the main thing it has going for it. It would be worth your while checking out IADT's TV/Film production course though as their facilities are better and they have better industry links etc.

I got a job out of my course, but I'm one of the few.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 taytoes

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

The course has changed a massive amount. I'm in 3rd year and we're the first year to be doing after effects, photoshop, dreamweaver, 3ds Max etc... It's a completely different course from the people who have graduated previously or even finished this year.

I personally would recommend the V&S course. It's not for everyone, but if you're into video and effects and stuff it's great. It's quite hard now, I work for the LIT learning center and I tutor 1st years, so I'd have a good idea of their course. The course isn't that old so it is still changing, but they covered a LOT of stuff this year. I know you would be using protools for one project, avid for another (which was not usually used in 1st year previously), and then in the subject I tutor they were doing mostly photoshop and after effects.

The course for the years before me and even my course last year was a lot of electronics and stuff, and I really wasn't into it. The electronics lecturer was very bad. But at the moment I would really recommend my visual design, broadcast tech, and audio lecturers. We also have an events module this year that was well thought, but wasn't personally my favourite subject.

In 2nd year you'd go on to use 3d studio max. In all honesty the course is very hard. I was shocked by the standard that was expected of this years first years. But at the end of the day they know a **** load for just one year there. I did my first year in UL (Digital Media Design, HATED IT!!!), and then did 2nd and 3rd year in LIT.

If you want any more info on the new V&S course just ask!

Oh here's a link to a a project I did for Christmas last year. Most of the stuff up on there was projects.

http://vimeo.com/8668470

That dosent sound like the course on the cao. Theres no mention of any of that.
    Was thinkin maybe of GMIT, they dont mention anything about electronics there.

If you want to learn to make TV and or Films from a technical point of view then go to Dun Laoighre. They have the best facilities in the country and have either just opened or will soon be opening a HD studio. Plus you'll be in Dublin which is where you'll want to be in order to get a job in the industry when you finish college. So maybe looking at it in a more longterm thing, but just my take anyway.

• Advertisement

taytoes wrote: »

Courses are weird like that. There's **** all electronics in Video & Sound anymore, they're slowly phasing it down. If Digital Media Design was anything like the CAO told me it was then I'd still be there! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

taytoes wrote: »

Never ever believe what they write in the handbooks.

EVER.

You've done the right thing by asking people who have first hand experience of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MegaSuperDood

*Bump*
    I'll also be doing this course, what is the timetable like?
    Monday? tuesday? wnesday? etc For first year?

Not fully sure, you'd need to get a current first year to clarify. But I tutored this years first years. The workloads fairly tough, but if you enjoy it its not so bad.

Timetable won't be up for you until after the summer, but you'd be doing five modules. I think it's video production (using cameras, making short film projects), multimedia (adobe after effects, photoshop etc, making animations, photoshopping pictures), Audio Operations (protools, recording, mixing) .They are the three practical modules you'll almost certainly be doing them. There's two more variables.

For me this year they were broadcast technology (radio waves, media encoding, satellites), and event planning (making an event manual, organizing events, lighting, stage). But I think those two modules are different for first years. Hope this helps.

I thought it was 6 modules for the first 2 years?

You won't know your timetable until your first week and it's liable to changes for 3 - 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 MegaSuperDood

louloumc89 wrote: »
    Not fully sure, you'd need to get a current first year to clarify. But I tutored this years first years. The workloads fairly tough, but if you enjoy it its not so bad.

Timetable won't be up for you until after the summer, but you'd be doing five modules. I think it's video production (using cameras, making short film projects), multimedia (adobe after effects, photoshop etc, making animations, photoshopping pictures), Audio Operations (protools, recording, mixing) .They are the three practical modules you'll almost certainly be doing them. There's two more variables.

For me this year they were broadcast technology (radio waves, media encoding, satellites), and event planning (making an event manual, organizing events, lighting, stage). But I think those two modules are different for first years. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply, but I want to know how many hours a week there is - on the site it says 24 hours I want to know how that's spread out over the week etc.

Won't there be programs such as Sony Vegas or adobe premiere because I'm familiar with them lol.

Thankfully no. You'll be using industry standard NLES and DAWS like Avid and Pro Tools. The hours will be spread evenly over the week usually. Half day on Fridays maybe.

In first year, we had Fridays off so Monday to Thursday were packed. Second year we were in until 4pm on Friday with only four hours on Tuesday and Wednesday. Honestly, you can't predict how the hours will be spread out!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mkegvn

yea you'll be there 5 days a week i'd say.

i'm just finished 1st year in music tech and production and we had 5 days a week, but we finished at 1pm on a friday which was handy!

just a word of advice, be prepared for loads of electronics and some physics. i went in a bit naive as regards the workload in these areas and i screwed myself for the summer exams. it's not worth the hassle at all. just put in the effort from the start. it'll stand to you in the end, when you're 1 of 50 looking for a job in your field, where THERE ARE VERY LITTLE JOBS!!

:)

There's jobs for those that work hard and come out of college with a decent idea of what they are doing. It's hard work, but if you piss about and half ass your projects/exams then you won't get anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭jeddie20

did this course this year.. wasn't for me really, didn't see much of a future in it! some of it was done well, but some of the lecturers were useless.. multimedia for one.. and some of it was done very bad, like switching from pc's to macs nearer the end of the year, which a few found fairly hard.. it started out with 57 people i think at the start of the year but id say it dropped to about 20 by the end with the amount of people that found it wasn't worth it, i was one..

jeddie20 wrote: »
    did this course this year.. wasn't for me really, didn't see much of a future in it! some of it was done well, but some of the lecturers were useless.. multimedia for one.. and some of it was done very bad, like switching from pc's to macs nearer the end of the year, which a few found fairly hard.. it started out with 57 people i think at the start of the year but id say it dropped to about 20 by the end with the amount of people that found it wasn't worth it, i was one..

Not sure what you mean? Just started n so far were doin photography stuff but Ive been looking at what last years students have done on the site and some of it looks kinda good so I figure its not all bad but maybe its a bit hard? and far as I know were starting in the mac labs next week.

Advertisement