Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grass cutting height

Options
  • 24-03-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

finally got my own mower so now i actually know the height settings:)
    anyway what height should i set for first cut ???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Did you get someone to do it for you before or why did you not know the height?

A 5 on mine could be a 4 on yours, there not all the same.FACT. To tight though and your gonna encourage moss to take over.

First cut after the winter....try a 4. 5 then after.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Cut mine today for the first time this year. Should have gone high as possible with the mower as I nearly destroyed the damn thing with with the crap from the winter.

Must feed the stupid lawn again this year. Anybody got any suggestions for a lovely lawn without major work involvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Highest setting for the first couple of cuts (about 1.5 inches). Gradually lower the height to about 1 inch which is the summer height for most garden lawns. If there is a dry spell, go higher again so as not to stress the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

thanks for the replies. i did not know cutting height last few years as i was renting one and no manual supplied.
    the new mower has 8 height settings with the heighest being 100 mm (3.93 inches) which i think will be too high to even clip the top of grass. i just wanted a rough idea of actual height not exact setting on mower as they all different. ill go for one around the 2 inch mark so.
    thanks again

Advertisement