Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past tenant's post

Options
  • 24-03-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Ever since I moved into a new place we started getting old tennant's post and there are about 3-4 different persons whose names are arriving daily and weekly. We were never left any forwarding addresses.

At start we didn't pay any attention and left the mail in the spare drawer thinking the mail will stop eventually as time went on. But it's been 4 months down the line and mail keep coming in. Kind of feels strange when other people's mail keeps arriving somewhere you'd like to call a home.

What's a good solution to fix this and stop post arriving for these people? Track them down through internet (facebook, linkedin, etc) or send the mail back as it comes in? Will the post office stop delivering mail for these people if they are notified that these persons don't live at this address anymore.

adnans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I've always thought the best solution is to cross out the name and address, write 'not known at this address' and drop them back into a post box, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

+1

That is what I do anyway and it does stop. Don't think it is very nice to just put the post in a drawer and hope it stops...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We used to get at least 7 letters per day for three different people when we lived in our old house, just put "not known at this address" and pop it into the nearest postbox. Should sort it eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Getting post here for several past tenants

I just bin everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

January wrote: »
    We used to get at least 7 letters per day for three different people when we lived in our old house, just put "not known at this address" and pop it into the nearest postbox. Should sort it eventually.

I think An Post stopped taking such letters marked as such recently. I too have been getting letters which look like from official sources addressed to past tenants for the past year.

If you will not redirect your mail after you move out, it ain't my problem. I redirected all my mail when I left my last place and did the numerous notifications to any possible senders. Its just laziness of the past tenants that they never even bothered to notify the senders.
    verywell wrote:
    That is what I do anyway and it does stop. Don't think it is very nice to just put the post in a drawer and hope it stops...

I did that for the first 6 months and the mail still kept coming from the same sources for various tenant names(at least 7) so I stopped being their secretary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Tell posty that those people moved out and you will accept only the post in your name . it will stop the same day
    Thats what i did and it worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Open the post and use their details to apply for credit cards and bank loans.

That'll teach 'em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

When we moved in we forwarded mail to the previous tenants as we had their new address. We do still get mail for people who have lived there years ago or not at all (to my knowledge) I just send that back marked 'not at this address' it does seem to work on the majority of the letters but even nearly a year later we still get some.
    I'd love to just bin them cos it's a nuisance but i'd feel guilty if I did :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd love to just bin them cos it's a nuisance but i'd feel guilty if I did :o

Why?
    Even for a few months might be acceptable but you've mentioned three years
    Bin or burn them

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

Why?
    Even for a few months might be acceptable but you've mentioned three years
    Bin or burn them

I know, you're right, gonna start getting tough the next time a letter arrives, I'll bin it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

1) Write 'return to sender - no longer at address' on letter & post it (provided it has a return address)

2) See if your landlord has their new address and re-direct it there

3) shove it in a massive pile and use it to keep warm in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

superrdave wrote: »
    1) Write 'return to sender - no longer at address' on letter & post it (provided it has a return address)

2) See if your landlord has their new address and re-direct it there

3) shove it in a massive pile and use it to keep warm in winter

4) Use it for the cat's litter tray :D

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Give it to your landlord or mark the envelope no longer at this address or gone away then repost it and An Post will return it to the sender. These are the only two options available to you and the "problem" will eventually be resolved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

gurramok wrote: »
    I think An Post stopped taking such letters marked as such recently.

they said they wouldn't forward re-addressed mail anymore - I think they will still return to sender though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wait two or three weeks. Then, with a big black marker, write "no longer lives here) on all of them. Then post them all in random letter boxes around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I've been writing 'return to sender, not known at this address' for the past 8 months and it still hasn't stopped. Thankfully I don't get much, only a couple of pieces a week. But some companies don't seem to care. Some of these people have not lived here for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Sarn wrote: »
    I've been writing 'return to sender, not known at this address' for the past 8 months and it still hasn't stopped. Thankfully I don't get much, only a couple of pieces a week. But some companies don't seem to care. Some of these people have not lived here for years!

Sometimes, these 'companies' are due to get money from the former tenants and sometimes they hope, the new tenants know something about their whereabouts ;)

Advertisement