Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bought a dodgy laptop

Options
  • 24-03-2011 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I bought a laptop off a Boardsie yesterday and when I got it home the screen has a red dot on it and the laptops turns off after about one minute of use, I paid cash but i got a reciept off him and I have the original dell receipt too. what do i do now?

The laptop was new, boxed, security sealed and had apparently arrived yesterday morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Contact the guy you bought it from? If this was a private sale then you have no rights, but the warranty from Dell may be valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GarRoIT

I was looking for advice before I contacted him, would the warranty be valad even though its in his name and address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GarRoIT

I contacted him and he seems genuine enough, he is going to contact dell about it being sorted. Do many people have problems with dell? this is the second dell I have gotten that has been faulty. The motherboard was faulty on a dell laptop I got years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I've had 3 dells all great. Pure (cheap) work horses. But nearly everyone I know has returned one even the same models as the ones I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I've bought 5 Dells over the past 3 and a half years.

An extended warranty is a very good idea.

My own Inspiron 1720 has needed 2 GPU's, 1 hard drive, 1 wireless card, and 1 external power supply replaced.

My daughter's XPS 1530 has had 3 motherboards, 1 ext power supply, and 1 battery replaced.

My partners 1545 has had 2 CD/DVD drives replaced.

Another 1545 has needed a new LCD screen and 2 hard drives.

The Inspiron 1525 is still running fine with no problems.

Their support is fine and other that 2 repairs where 1 GPU and 1 hard drive they replaced were faulty and needed to be replaced again, the repair process was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

My XPS M1530 in the last year has needed:

motherboard repaired/replaced
    CD/DVD drive replaced
    Hard drive replaced (it failed)

I was lucky i had bought an extended warranty.

Advertisement